The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
jocko

color-match spray in bedliner question

I'm not personally a fan of a black spray in liner in old trucks - detracts from their looks (and resale value imo), however, I do enjoy the practicality of one, and have it in all my DDs.

However, I've seen a lot of new rebuilds using the color-matched spray in liners. How are these actually done?

Is the actual color paint of the truck sprayed over a liner coat?
or
Is the liner spray itself actually tinted to match the truck?

I've heard both, would like to hear some more details and also see a few pictures for those that have them.

I still like the original plain steel beds best (wood even better!) but if I'm going to use an old truck as a DD, the color-matched spray in liner is a pretty good option in my book.

Thanks in advance!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: color-match spray in bedliner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I'm not personally a fan of a black spray in liner in old trucks - detracts from their looks (and resale value imo), however, I do enjoy the practicality of one, and have it in all my DDs.

However, I've seen a lot of new rebuilds using the color-matched spray in liners. How are these actually done?

Is the actual color paint of the truck sprayed over a liner coat?
or
Is the liner spray itself actually tinted to match the truck?

I've heard both, would like to hear some more details and also see a few pictures for those that have them.

I still like the original plain steel beds best (wood even better!) but if I'm going to use an old truck as a DD, the color-matched spray in liner is a pretty good option in my book.

Thanks in advance!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526901
Her is a post recently about options of bedliners ..... I personally like ( Urethane ) U-POL Raptor tintable bedliner cost about $110. comes in 4 qt bottles you need to add 10% urethane paint. Color is not exact match usually darker.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
jamesi20

from what I've been told,they are tinted to match,and most of the one's I've seen are not very close.
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
black_sheep454

I've had the undercarriage of a Camaro sprayed in bedliner that was tinted higher orange and it was a dead match. Think it took about a gallon of paint mixed in with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I have had Line-X mix up a dark grey on a truck to match the gun metal metallic grey powder coat and it was a great match.I had them add a UV protector to keep it from fading. It actually had a sheen to it...looked fantastic! They said they can do any color,but would not do white. They said it will yellow.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
jocko

thanks all, great info. notsolo, thanks for the link, I must've missed that one somehow, and it's very recent. Good stuff. Going to be hard for me to decide if I want to do this to an upcoming project since I may want to preserve the future possibility of a full-on restoration on the truck I'm looking at, and bedliner is darn near impossible to remove.
This is good info, thanks very much gents.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
litew8

From what I've found out with the little research I've done: Line-X is probably the best hot applied liner. Their tint (Xtra) is applied afterwards (on top). They take your color code of choice and get a match that way. Not cheap either. Line-X with Xtra also has DuPont™ KEVLARŪ (up to five times stronger than steel) in its makeup. This is unlike (of course) DYI liners like U-Pol's Raptor, where you buy the tint only from your local shop and mix it (10%) yourself to the 750 ml bottles. Jeep owners seem to love it. Do a search over there to find many more examples and reviews. It does seem to spray a shade lighter than your original color. I've read where people mix more than 10% tint with the liner and it shoots a darker color and matches more closely. I'm not sure adding more tint is such a good thing - since you'd essentially be diluting the chemistry of the other parts (hardener, etc...).

Last edited by litew8; 06-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Lee H

I've seen enough color matches 2-3 years down the road I know I will not get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
jocko

because? Fade? If so, any idea whether it was diy or professionally installed, etc?

I think we can all do one that will look pretty good for a little while - but you get what you pay for as with most things.

Based on the above discussion - I'd really like to see about a 3-5 y/o color LineX bed to see how it held up (and what it was exposed to, i.e. garaged only or daily driver, etc). That would really help make the decision.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
litew8

Good luck on finding pictures. I haven't seen any of xx years after, just the ones that get them done and snap pics. I too would like to see some 2-3 year shots. Post some pics Lee
Old 06-09-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The job I had done was on a work truck that got totalled about 4 years after I had it done. It still looked great. I had the inside of the utility bed done and part of the ladder racks. The ladder racks were first powder coated in base coat/clear coat powder coat in metallic gun metal grey. Then,Line-X used the special masking tape with wire in it to tape it off so only the surfaces that got wear were done and just around the corner a bit. This truck got use in my siding/exterior trim business with ladders and scaffold on and off of it about daily. The Line-X did exactly what I wanted it for,to keep this truck I custom built looking as sharp as before I ever put it on the job. In a hobby truck,especially as garaged one,I can see it hold up flawlessly for about ever.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
mcbassin
Still Learning

Anyone have luck with tinted bedliner or color matched bed liner? I have heard and read about fading issues. If the tintable Upol raptor HERE is made from urethane and you add a urethane paint to it to color it, why would it fade any faster than urethane paint?
anyone have pictures of one that is 2-5 years old?
experts???
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
wgr2112
Account Suspended

I had a red 94 GMC and had the bedliner tinted to match.

Was it a good match? Not really, but workable.

I had that truck for 6 years after the bedliner (Line-X) and it did fade over time. The red faded to a purple/pink color.

Before I sold it, I painted it with a red Exterior Latex Paint and it held up pretty well in the meantime.

That liner took a beating, spilled paint, stuff thrown all around inside it. Aside from the color, it was still in good condition.
wgr2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
mmiddle

Check out www.camoliner.com
I am not connected to them in anyway as far as financial or benefit from sending work to them in anyway. I just work next door to them and see all that they do. You can also find them on FB.

From talking with them and seeing their work. Yes they can exact match and they use a sealer that prevents fading. Keep in mind, that due to texture difference in the paint and liner there will be a slight/very slight visual difference, but the color will be dead on and last as long as the factory paint.

Its pretty amazing seeing some of there work firsthand.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Mister-B
Account Suspended

A lot of people who do a spray on bed liner, just do the default of having the whole bed, sides, and rails done. You don't have to do that though. You could just do the bed itself, and do maybe a 4" border around the tub

I painted mine in this fashion with black paint, to deal with the rust and give me a usable surface. It's held up very well, but I may do a light blue spray on bedliner, but only in the areas I described above. This lets me keep the patina everywhere else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote