The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
kaphillips

1970 cst w/tilt wheel light interior pictures please

I have a 1970 CST with all black interior which I don't really care for all black. I want to change to a light interior in my restoration. Please post pictures of original 1970 CST's with tilt wheel with light colors for me to reference. What were the factory names of the light interiors and their rpo codes available for the 70 model, anyone. If I am correct all tilt wheel colums were black in 1970 making the steering wheel also black. I want to make the colors all correct as from the factory. What light colors are being reproduced in seat covers at this time. Detailed pictures of light interiors with tilt would be greatly appreciated to help me make a decision on my restoration. And thanks in advance to all that post pictures for me.
kaphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: 1970 cst w/tilt wheel light interior pictures please

From your posts it seems you are building a truck a long way from "as delivered" stock but want to pass it off as stock.

There are several interior colors for 70 Blue, Red, Green, Dark Olive, Sandalwood and Black. Since there is only one "light" color, Sandalwood, your choices are limited and you may want to reconsider. The Sandalwood color is a dark ivory color notably darker than the parchment offered as reproductions.

Since you are chasing buckets, the interior code for a 70 Sandalwood CST is 624 GOLD VINYL TRIM in addition to the A50 BUCKET SEATS callout.

Might want to do some specific searches for trim codes 622, 623, 624 and 625. There are several posts of mine in that range and some pictures.

Here is a picture of a 625 GMC interior which is correct for the most part and applicable to a Chevy. Of note is the very off white/dark ivory color of the sandalwood/gold interior.

The smaller picture is a 623 GOLD CUSTOM CLOTH Chevy interior.

Really might want to consider doing a blue bucket interior if you are still planning on the 592 Blue and White Custom Two-Tone for "off the shelf" sources.

Now the tilt is another problem RPO N33 Comfortilt steering was not offered in 70 to my knowledge. If you have a documented truck with that option I would like to see it.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
kaphillips

I am restoring my truck back to as much as original as can be but I am planning to change the exterior and interior color from its stock 527 dark gold and its black vinyl. I am not trying to pass it off as a factory original and change the glove box label. This round of restoration originality is what is important to me. I purchased it in 1992 with its original dark gold paint and an all original factory black interior. When I did a low budget restoration in 1993 I changed the exterior color, recovered the black bench seat and added the carpet below the doors and replaced the cardboard glovebox and its woodgrain panel (it was a poor match in what was available in 93). It holds its original glove box label and I feel it is an original 70 with tilt wheel. I am building my dream truck as I would have ordered it in 1970. I want a white & dark blue & white exterior color, gold vinyl with bucket seats, and a big block 402. I have recently purchased 2 original complete tbg suffix big blocks (one for the restoration and one for a spare). I have my heart set on the gold vinyl. Does anyone have an original gold vinyl truck that is willing to sell me a 1X1 swatch cut from the underside of the seat for a reference of the original color. The original 350 motor and tranny had already been replaced, the blueish sticker on the door was painted over, the rear end has been replaced, so I don't know its original build date. This truck has extreme sentimental value to me being I had my fist date with my wife in it and don't plan on ever selling it. Please see attached pictures. Sorry for the lengthy post I felt I needed to explain my actions of not trying to fake an original factory built truck. Well I was going to attach pictures but I am new the forum and don't know how to post pictures. They are saved in windows computer in a file under pictures folder. Can someone tell me how to attach images Please.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
kaphillips

Ok here are some pics of my truck and its as delivered factory glove box label.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
WIDESIDE72

If i read correctly, you want a gold interior in a blue/ white truck? Im not sure that goes together that well, but if its what you have your heart set on... I would think the light blue would ckntrast better.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
kaphillips

I like blue and all but having the interior blue also, imo, is just to much blue. The gold is really a creamy tan and I think would go well with a dark blue, but again this is MY dream truck. Any other opinions of this color combination, would that really be all that weird?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
leddzepp

Build it however you want. There are no rules. Make yourself happy, who cares what others think?
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
SS Tim

If you want the dark blue then the light gold will look really good wih it. Problem is it is not a reproduced stock cover color. While you might be able to get the correct vinyl from SMS there is still the matter of getting it made into covers and door trim panels. Custom work adds up fast in time and cost. If you are wanting the stock debossing in the seat covers that is even more. The fact is a stock color like blue or even black will be far easier all the way around. Too much blue, I don't think so and the blue picture above has enough shift to make the colors blend more than they do in person. Another thing to consider is the carpet and dash pad will be a dark sandalewoood for a correct factory match. A lot is going to depend on the colors you like, how close you want it to stock and if you are planning on keeping the added in woodgrains. Stock is only on the door panels in 70. If this helps here is a picture of a 70 CST 624 bucket seat truck that had the seats "retasked", anyway it shows the light gold and a factory blue vinyl to good effect. Did you ever go to Davepl's thread I linked to in the paint code thread.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
kaphillips

Thanks Tim you have been a great help and have responded to most of my postings. So what did you think of my old truck people, is it a keeper.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
SS Tim

Its a keeper anyway you look at it. You have a big project planned between the color change, interior color/bucket change and the driveline.

The tilt is an interesting option and the first 70 I recall seeing it on. Went through my collection this morning and not another 70 I have the SPID to has it.

If it were me I'd probably redirect it to a more stock "as delivered" condition but then I'm not thrilled about the gold either. In fact I am looking at a Highlander Longhorn that has most everything I want except color (but 519 is a hard color to find on anything but a stripper utility truck).

Now one thing you need to consider is the trans. A factory TH400 used a high hump cutout floor and an engine mounted electrical kickdown switch.
Might want to decide if you want to stay with a TH400 or go with a say 700R4 type OD trans early in the project. Finally there are big block specific modifications under the skin, the exhaust heat shields nad dual hanger brackets come to mind as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
kaphillips

I recently purchased a complete 1970 cst with all original big block and never been molested and will be donating most of all the unique big block stuff, like the high hump cab, th400, etc. Question though, was the heat shields on both sides of the firewall are just the passenger side. But unfortunately the big block truck is the 2 tone light and dark olive green (god awful color imo). Can you think of ay other smalls unique to the big block. Bye the way still looking for a pair of exhaust manifolds, anyone. I have not picked up the new big block yet it is in Alabama and I am in TX.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Several vendors carry sandalwood panels and covers. Trevor
Posted via Mobile Device
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #13
SS Tim

Thanks Trevor, Went back and looked in my newest Ecklers and Truck shop catalogs just to see if they had something. Ecklers has a 67-72 bucket application which seems too generic to be correct. However Thruck Shop has a 69-70 sandalwood that may be close 69-03141.
In typical fashion they show all similar type not just correct colors, the better to sell covers to everyone.

So,Get some samples from every source you can and you might find a true sandalwood/light gold set that are pattern and detail correct for a 70 bucket seat truck. Anyway here is a clip from page 30. Once you locate seat covers then try for matching door panels/skins. The same manufacturer as the seat cover will be the best bet.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #14
Gary 70 Jimmy

I will get some pictures

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #15