The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
fisherman56

values of 67-72's deja vu

Hey all is it me, but are we on the cutting edge of investment here? I mean when I was a young'un growing up in the late 60's early 70's you could of had a nice '57 chevy car for $500. Do all of you think we are just a little past that point, where in a few years a rust bucket 67-72 will be almost unaffordable to buy for the average person, let alone restore? Look at where the 67 and newer Camero's and Chevelle's, Nova's, Impala's and all the rest of the chevy's and other makes and years have skyrocketed! I say buy all the 67-72's you can get forget groceries and your kid's college fund. On second thought forget what I said about groceries! LOL. But seriously does any one else see the future or is it too late?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
54belair

Re: values of 67-72's deja vu

Our trucks are not "mainstream" classics(?) We are sort of on the fringe area of classics. I may be wrong but I dont see our trucks taking a major jump in value soon.

But, with that said--the value of our trucks is all over the place from $1200 to Low $20.s I do believe you are somewhat correct----our trucks will appreciate. How much Im not sure-----but, I am sure that more money can be made by finding and storing good parts!! Can you imagine what a clean short stepside bed will be worth in 10 yrs?? Or, what would you give for rust free doors in 10 yrs?

My build has gone over budget because of my finding and storing extra parts!! But--10 yrs from now my truck will belong to my grandson----and unfortunately, Im sure he will need Parts!!!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
Old 12-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
fisherman56

I believe you are right, for all these trucks are being driven and worn out or rusted, we need parts! But then again if more aftermarket dealers get involved in remaking these parts we might have years and years of these trucks, or our grandkids will!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
mjjjracing

I have a bunch of 67-72 trucks and blazers , Some are parts and some are very re - buildable to the right person , Have you looked at NADA book values . I wonder how many go to scrap every year . I have some frames that I cannot sell but I hate to scrap them . Thank god my wife is very understandable every time I come home with another 67-72 which is quite often . As you guy's said what will these trucks be worth in ten years . I always tell my wife you won't get much money when I die but you will have a bunch of classic trucks . See ya Jim
39 GMC pickup,70 GMC K1500 short bed 4x4 ,72 K10 short bed step side 4x4 ,71 short bed fleet side , 72 K20 long bed ,74 K10 long bed , 69 C30 dump bed dually, 79 K30 standard cab dually , 02 Dodge 4x4 dually

Last edited by mjjjracing; 12-10-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
fisherman56

Values seem to be high in the "blue books" Just think of what you are doing, you are saving those trucks, they could end up being scrapped and then they will be gone! One thing is for sure they aren't maken them any more! I think of all those $100-$500 cars that were available when I was young and now I look at the many thousands they bring today!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Sammy

No doubt about it. So many get scrapped out for junk price. Eventually the average guy will have difficulty finding decent parts. Look how difficult original rust free doors and especially tail gates are getting to be. And the asking price for a tail gate compared to what they brought in the late 60's.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

I think what is happening is that many guys have to pass on building that dream muscle car just for the cost of the entire project and are finding it's way easier to talk their wives into letting them buy an old cheap truck to "use " around the house than build a $30,000.00 Camaro that will sit in the garage until that Sunday drive/trailer ride to the show . They are cheap to buy and parts are easier to find "now" and you can still haul flowers home for your girls garden on Saturday ! Your just not going to see a lot of patina Camaros driving around , trucks ARE THE NEW CRUISERS and recent prices for detailed finished trucks show it as true . Now even tho the drive trains are just as involved as any muscle car the trucks are Just cooler to drive today ! And cheaper ,Compare the costs to a stock rebuild of any car to a classic truck and it's way less any way you look at it ! And there's always the benefit of being able to haul some nice chairs/expandable tent and a cooler to the beach/park or tailgate party that you could never fit in a trunk ! I plan on buying everyone I can afford and it's easy enough to lay some tin on the ground and park the truck tarped like crazy on it and let them sit until the time comes for a rebuild or sale as investment that will only climb !
Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Before I retired five years ago, I'd worked with big money for forty-one years. And, if I learned one thing about investments,
I learned that no one knows anything about "where the value will be" at any given time in the future.

Sure, the cash-value trend will be "up" on our trucks for all the reasons mentioned.

I watched some auctions on TV over the weekend. Saw several 67-72's nicer than mine go for substantially under $15,000.
One got pulled ("...and, The Bid Goes On") at $15,000.

I have about $25,000 in my truck. I guess RAT's worth about ten g's now. Typical of my overall good investment strategy.

She'll be worth $100,000 some day. When a loaf of bread costs $7,800.

In the meantime, she's worth $100,000 to me.
But always a rat.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

Investors should go find a better market and leave these trucks to those who enjoy them before those folks can't afford them anymore. If you're an enthusiast and a muscle car is what you really want,keep saving and leave the trucks to those who "want" trucks

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
fisherman56

I agree with you Special K, but what they should do and what will probally happen are two different things! In the meantime I still say buy all you can, parts and trucks! I wouldn't be surprised to find out if the 8ft steppers become a prime investment, just because they didn't make that many of them. Stranger things have happened...............................(wish I would of bought all the vw beatles when they were practically given em away)
Old 12-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Vehicles are never a good investment. Studies have shown the current generation has little to no interest in driving, let alone classic cars. If that trend continues, that guy holding onto the 35K Camaro may find that in 15-20 years it's worth 15-20K because the interest and demand just isn't there anymore... or it could be worth 50K.

I do this for my own enjoyment. If these trucks get too $ to buy and work on, I'll move on to the 73-87 GM trucks or the 67-72 F-100's (which is almost a shame how cheap you can get a SUPER NICE 67-72 F-100 for).
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
fisherman56

Naw I don't believe it! everything goes up in price. allways has allways will. Even the young folk love these trucks, when I got mine my 10yr old neighbor came over and thinks it's the coolest thing around. Just saying! Doesn't matter if I think it's an investment or not. All I am saying is watch and see.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
54belair

I was watching the Mecum KC auction last weekend----several 67-72 trucks offered but I only heard one sell for sure. Nice looking trucks all, but the buyers and sellers seemed to have a difference of opinion on value.
Usually the auction scene isnt a real good indication of actual value--just an indication of value to those select few in attendance on a given day.

I also know that if you Want a quality truck (or vehicle)--you should buy it rather than build it--very seldom can you come out on a build------ya just have to do it for the fun of it and pray that your wife likes your truck too! Im so farrr over budget on my build----I just wad up $100 bills and throw them at it----its gotten to be a game now!!!! I can get most of them thru the side window from 15 feet away----time to back up another 5 feet!!
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
Old 12-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
fisherman56

LOL! Is that what they mean by a 20footer? when you can make a $100 bill fly through a side window!
Old 12-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #15
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman56 View Post
LOL! Is that what they mean by a 20footer? when you can make a $100 bill fly through a side window!
Maybe so. Now that I'm driving mine, they fly *out* of the wind wing.

But always a rat.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
fisherman56

Good for you to be driving yours! I haven't a clue when I will be driving mine. Just got it like a month ago and decided to do nothing to it till spring, too darn cold in the garage! I am sitting and thinking and buying what I need and want. I think the body is the first place to start as there are so many steps and time consuming. Mechanics, which will be a crate motor is just about drop in bolt on and done, maybe not so simple as that lol, but a heck of a lot less steps then body work!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Spartan

My opinion is if you are investing your money is better spent elsewhere.
Like mentioned above if you do one yourself you are usually in the hole compared to sale value.
I look for a higher rate of return. The best investment today (I'm not a professional and this is only my opinion) silver. Physical precious metals. Commercial realestate can be had for less if you get in on a "tenancy in common" mini-mall. Every what safeway or albertsons pay a month in rent?
A duplex where you live in one half and rent the other has certain tax advantages. The list goes on and automobiles that you drive are not very
high on the list.
Although...maybe...in a hundred years everything will go back to rail?
I say enjoy the hobby and if prices get crazy then sell.

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
mjjjracing

I am not investing my money for return. I am just trying to build some trucks , Or saving some trucks from the crusher . All of the truck's I have , were bought , so I can build another truck . As I bought my first 1970 short bed for $1000,00 back in 1978 and I was a young stupid kid back then . And As I look back on it now if I would have saved that truck it would be worth a lot of money. I have been in love with these truck's for 30 + years. This is a love for these truck's . And My wife has seen the beauty of these trucks over the years See Ya. Jim
39 GMC pickup,70 GMC K1500 short bed 4x4 ,72 K10 short bed step side 4x4 ,71 short bed fleet side , 72 K20 long bed ,74 K10 long bed , 69 C30 dump bed dually, 79 K30 standard cab dually , 02 Dodge 4x4 dually
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
67chevy1

Yeah I agree with those of you who are saying that these trucks aren't an investment, they are a passion. I had a 67 swb fleetside yrs ago and sold it, I have missed that truck since the day I sold it and now that I have bought another 1 I still miss it just not as much. There will be no way that I will ever recoupe what I will be spending on this 1, but I will have a smile from ear to ear when I get hear the sound of my home built 383 rumble. After all you would have to sell to recoupe any and I don't plan on trying.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
70cst

Lots of great info ...

I have a factory BB because I cannot afford a BB Muscle car and I grew up with Chevy trucks on the farm. My dad had a 72 LWB 350.

I really enjoy driving my truck and you just can't neat the sound of a BB.

The trucks that will go up in value but not Barrett Jackson value are the SWB and LWB highly optioned trucks. BB are a plus.

Great thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman56 View Post
Naw I don't believe it! everything goes up in price. allways has allways will. Even the young folk love these trucks, when I got mine my 10yr old neighbor came over and thinks it's the coolest thing around. Just saying! Doesn't matter if I think it's an investment or not. All I am saying is watch and see.
Didn't real estate values crash a while back? They always said real estate was a great investment because they stopped making it. Values will eventually rise again,and that's fine if the time table works with your life span. I'm just saying,there is no absolute on "everything goes up".
I collected Tonkas and all sorts of vintage vehicle toys for years. They kept getting more and more expensive till I stopped. These were toys for my generation. The problem is,as a generation matures,their needs change. In our middle age,when we own a home and things are rolling along,we like to buy things to reward ourselves with our expendable cash. Often,nostalgia plays a part in what we collect. Then we get to a point where we look ahead at what's left of our lives and owning things means less than doing things. My generation is slacking off on buying up trinkets and prices have dropped. Some younger people are attracted to these cool toys,but what drove the price up was the passion of the generation that played with these toys. Prices stopped climbing and now have backed off to a lesser value. If it's not a liquid asset there are too many factors unknown and you need someone to buy it for it to be money.
I'm not saying it's not a good idea to buy up all you can. Heck,I've done that for years (for my own enjoyment) and many others have,too. But when people hoard they deprive others only to offer them back at an increased price. I guess people are different and I'm just not built that way.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
Grumpy old man

Restoring /building trucks can only be called an investment when you are capable of doing the work yourself and as a hobby/interest . Trying to buy a project truck to restore using professionals for even basic labor is expensive and you will never see your total cash investment returned . Shop rates /parts /shipping all adds up fast and many custom shops have closed just due to the fact the craftsmen are no longer easy to find as employees and you can only train someone for so long before they see themselves as underpaid or overworked . customers who jump into a complete project build often find it is way more expensive then they even dreamed which leads to many a project unfinished and parked in a corner of the shop waiting for funds to continue and racking up inside storage fees which don't quit ! if your unable or just don't have the tools and equipment or long term indoor space to rebuild a project it may be in your best interest to buy a finished ready to drive truck/car , I have seen and bought dozens of these projects over the years and everyone was at a serious cash loss to the previous owner . look and ask many questions before you leap into a complete rebuild and be prepared for the costs involved and you will be ready for whatever may happen .it's not a job for the weak at heart or wallet !
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #23
Steve Hafner

. . . .

For some, the real value in these trucks is the time spent working on them. There's nothing better then spending a warm Saturday afternoon working on the truck with your children or grandchildren. Those memories can't be replaced. I've "invested" over $30,000 in a truck that MIGHT be able to be sold for around $18,000 today - but if I had it to do all over again - I wouldn't change a thing !!! My two ( ages 12 and 13 ) might not realize this now, but I think they will when they're older.

. . . .
Attached Images

Life is short . . . we only have, right now.

. . . .

My 70 C-10's BUILD THREAD: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=475526
Old 12-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #24
Grumpy old man

I understand what your saying My son is 32 . grandson is only 2 and just getting used to working on his pedal car ! Anytime I'm missing tools from the shop they can usually be found next to his "project"
Old 12-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #25
jabborabbo

Regarding classic cars in general, here's a quote from

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...und-investment

Quote:
Perhaps the best advice delivered by the Amelia Island panel was this: buy any collector car for enjoyment first, and consider any appreciation in value as an added benefit. Other investments may be safer, but in the words of McKeel Hagerty, CEO of Hagerty Insurance, “you can’t take your stock portfolio out for a nice weekend cruise.”
Closed Thread