The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #801
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Sound like yer gonna be rocken out! LOL!
Old 01-06-2014, 12:48 PM   #802
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Soon, soon.

Finally got my Christmas gift card activated and ordered some much needed items for John Lee.

New blue dot tail lamp lenses.

New license plate bracket and light assembly.

And, a nice option...a Black Passenger Side Rear View Mirror to match the one on the Drivers side.

Maybe get a stereo and speakers and a floor mat in Jan/Feb to finish up the interior. We already got the old boy a set of new dorman pedal pads (car size) in the small size and modded the pedals for installation.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #803
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Seriously?

My Christmas gift arrives...I was careful.

Ordered only the best for John Lee.

Genuine GM Restoration parts.

New tail lamp lenses that I'm gonna put blue dots in.

Know what? I ain't doin it again.

They are nice enough but they are MADE IN CHINA

But I did get a much needed license plate bracket. I expected much less quality. But it even came with a real glass dome over the lamp, not plastic...so, maybe all the Chinese stuff ain't too aweful bad.....good timing on this part, the old one fell off and we was draggin the plate by the light wire....so.......when it comes outta the shop from its oil leak and getting new power brakes installed, I'll put this on.

And cause I'm getting old an lazy and my neck is stiff and I don't wanna look behind me much any more and because I added the passenger side visor to the cab I need to maintain bilateral symmetry by installing a passenger side rear view mirror. I don't mind that this came from tiwann, I got one on the drivers side 2 years old and its great and still like new so.......some creative marking and drillin on the door to do to hit the holes in that factory installed plate hidden in the passenger side door....

Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #804
Old Bleu

Let us know how you do the mirror installation. I'll be doing the same on both doors soon. Looks like it never had one on the right and the PO filled the left side holes and added a car mirror. Will have to drill them out and run a tap through the threads.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #805
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Seriously?

My Christmas gift arrives...I was careful.

Ordered only the best for John Lee.

Genuine GM Restoration parts.

New tail lamp lenses that I'm gonna put blue dots in.

Know what? I ain't doin it again.

They are nice enough but they are MADE IN CHINA...

But I did get a much needed license plate bracket. I expected much less quality. But it even came with a real glass dome over the lamp, not plastic...so, maybe all the Chinese stuff ain't too aweful bad.....good timing on this part, the old one fell off and we was draggin the plate by the light wire....so.......when it comes outta the shop from its oil leak and getting new power brakes installed, I'll put this on.

And cause I'm getting old an lazy and my neck is stiff and I don't wanna look behind me much any more and because I added the passenger side visor to the cab I need to maintain bilateral symmetry by installing a passenger side rear view mirror. I don't mind that this came from tiwann, I got one on the drivers side 2 years old and its great and still like new so.......some creative marking and drillin on the door to do to hit the holes in that factory installed plate hidden in the passenger side door....

Uh...did you expect the tail lamps to be American? lol! I sure didn't. Nice set though.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #806
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Ill document the PS mirror

Yep. Genuine GM parts
Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #807
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Ooooooo!

Power brakes and oil drip are done....!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to get outta here and go get it for a drive....

Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Ooooooo! Me so Happy!
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #808
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Updating some recent repairs and upgrades with links.

Power Drum Drum Brake upgrade....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611577

Blue dots and new license bracket....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611590

Passenger side mirror installation....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611625
Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #809
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Lotsa stallin, rough idle, deceleration popping......

Loosin oil for 6 months....both engines.......out the filler cap......

So, I found a loose nut on the carbie base.....that helped the idle some......

Blamed the new power brakes,,,,took em out of the circuit and put em back in...boosters good.

Taped off the pcv valve...bingo it runs great.....

PoodookyCrap....I had the pcv valve installed backwards on both engines......

Dumbass.

Test ride tomorrow.

Retune after.

Fellas, if you can blow thru the bottom of the pcv valve its in backwards or broke.....air only flows one way.

Betcha it don't belch oil out the fill hole anymore.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #810
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Another update over here. Replacing the I6 intake exhaust manifold gasket to eliminate vacuum leaks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...53#post6474853
Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #811
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quick email to Stovebolt Engine Company this morning....

Mr. Langdon,

Astro Van T5 I got from you and the new Chevy (Oreilly Auto) long block 250 I6 is in, running and we are about 2500 miles down the road.

Trans is fantastic, quiet, smooth and markedly improves the driving experience. Thanks! It went in with no serious modifications, simply lowered the factory emergency brake cross member under the frame and slid the T5 in with all GM spec parts (new 11" flywheel, clutch/plate and short throwout bearing). We upgraded to heim jointed clutch linkage and rebuilt the pivot shaft.

Gas mileage is hovering around 16.8 to 17.2 combined mpg while breaking in the engine. I suspect at the next oil change I'll get serious with readjusting the Weber 32/36 and timing. For now running the settings below my signature.

Going to try several tanks of pure mid or hi test gasoline as we are still struggling with a slight amount of post shut down percolation into the secondary. Changed needle and seat and it holds pressure fine....bubbling was reduced slightly with an insulating gasket on the adapter. I'm assuming this will be a chronic problem with 10% ethanol gasoline and may wind up insulating the manifold to block radiant heat.

I probably need to also tweak the main jets for the primary a bit smaller as the mileage should be a bit higher and the secondary is slow with a slight hesitation when you thump the pedal. Just trying to decide if I should jet/tune by feel or use a wide band O2 sensor to help map out the carbs performance across the board.

But, overall, the package is wonderful. I'm keeping up with and in some cases passing interstate traffic. 70 mph is comfortably achieved. We did go ahead and add 67 C10 power brake booster to help compensate for the increased acceleration and top speed.

Photo attached. See ya on the road sometime, we are back to reliable daily transportation with the upgrades and your help.

Folks always ask if it’s a V8. Old timers always tell me I got the better engine in the I6, I agree!

Settings:

89 to 93 Octane
17 degrees BTDC, GM Electronic Ignition, Ported Vacuum
500 rpm hot idle speed, smooth as glass
70 idle jet, 1.5 turns rich
Idle butterfly screw 1.5 turns from first contact
65 secondary jet
125 primary main jet
165 secondary main jet
170 primary air jet
160 secondary air jet
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #812
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Yeah Mr. Langdon is always a great help for these projects! He recommended the richmond for me. Anyhow, glad all is going well! Were gonna need a video of it driving down the road as proof you know...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #813
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I ain't got that kinda camera but maybe I can finger it out.

As for the carb, I did have the original 60 idle mix jet and Tom said put it in and retweak the settings. So I did and it seems quite good on the main. Seems the idle/transition was a bit rich. Its crisper on the main now.

That's whats nice on the weber, few seconds to swap a part, quick lick for tune and back out tryin it out before it even gets cooled down.

Still a bit slow on the secondary. Just gotta decide if its rich or lean. I have a big 65 jet in the secondary mix right now and still have the original 55 will have to try it and see how that transition works. Pulling in even more timing will make it transition better so I could be that I have that a bit on the rich side too.

Prolly start movin in on the main jets and secondary mix jet after this tank of fuel.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #814
Sharps40
Account Suspended

If you build a nice square gate for an old crooked deck, it looks lopsided even though the level says it plumb.

If you don't have a padlock for the latch, an aluminum Chinese carabineer works fine to keep the dogs from unlatchin it an goin out to ride the leg of a Cultist on Door Knocker Patrol.....I might have to take the biner off the latch.

The Bi-No-Key #5 holster for the Colt 1911 needs a crescent moon cut out on the thumb strap to clearance the hammer and thereby stop pushing the safety to the off position leaving me to rely only on the series 80 trigger operated guts, specially if when I draw the gun out.

The Bi-No-Key #5 holster rides best between the belt and the pants otherwise it flops a bit an the checkered wood grips rub my pork shoulders.

The Mossy Oak Camo leather belts with double tine buckels and spiffy camo finish make decent gun belts for $16 from Hellmart.

The Zama carburetor in a Puloun Chain Saw is a remarkably simple two barrel affair that clogs up pretty easy.

Using spray carb cleaner to clean a Zama two barrel in a cold workshop results in mild frostbite to the fingers holding the parts for cleaning.

When yer fingers are real numb and cold, holden em over the oil filled radiant heater ain't the best ider cause it sometimes smells like bacon when ya do that too much.

After ya punch extra holes in the Mossy Oak belt from Slavemart ya figure out ya didn't needem cause the belt goes around the Bi-No-Key #5 holster stead of behind it.

If yer chainsaw blade sticks in a branch, turn it off before climbing up to free it, cause when ya both fall and land wif yer hand on the chain its nice that ya had on gloves and the saw weren't running.

80W90 synthetic gear lube makes a nifty bar oil for yer chain saw when yer out of the real stuff....so does used 10W30 from the recycle bucket.

If you go to Lowes wif yer Wife you will have to buy 500,000 pounds of bird seed cause its real cold in Central NC right now.

Oh yeah, when ya go to lowes for two each programmable thermostats for the two zones on the house they only have one of each type on the shelf and ever frackin onnathem has been ripped open so some dickweasel can decide if its the one he wants cause he's Harry Stupid Frackin Home Tearer Upper and Package Destroyer. Don't go to lowes on the weekend, they ain't got nothing but leftover broken crap on the shelf on weekends.

John Lee runs perfect on the main barrel of the Weber carb with 1/7 less jet in the idle to top circuit just like Mr. Langdon at Stovebolts said it would.

I'm gonna catch hellsbells when GoodWife gets home for cutting down the crab apple trees out front but I told her I would caussa I'm lergic to bee stings and I'm tired of getting stung then having to firebomb the front yard with gasoline and oil.

On the plus side, ya can open carry at Lowes and ya can take yer Cultist Humpin Shepherd Dog inside wif ya too.

Last edited by Sharps40; 01-25-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #815
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Test Video.

Well....we do have sound....so....

Nope....don't have a clue how to get vid from the camera to the desktop to the thread.

Oh well.....
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #816
Sharps40
Account Suspended

How do ya get videos taken with the camera from the desk top to the post....

Keep it simple....like button by button cause them big words don't mean S*** to me.

The videos with sound taken with my camera are Windows media player.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #817
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
How do ya get videos taken with the camera from the desk top to the post....

Keep it simple....like button by button cause them big words don't mean S*** to me.

The videos with sound taken with my camera are Windows media player.
Only way I know of is to load your video to YouTube, then create the link in your post to that site.
If you want the computer code that will show it as a video in your post let me know, I will display it for you so it can be useable.

Your mini-rant of observations was pretty cool, made me smile on quite a few points. I personally have a Springfield 1911A and love it to death. I tell people my 9mm H&K is my car gun, the 1911 is my "under the pillow" gun....

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #818
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I usually cart around a Smith 60 in the front pocket. But winter is here and Ol Colt Officers becomes my side arm of choice....with Federal 230g hydrashoks.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #819
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Youtube...yuck. Ah well. I'll think it over.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #820
Sharps40
Account Suspended

1 hour well spent.

Previously leaned down the main circuit at the bottom thru the midrange by going from 70 jet to 60....a 14.5%ish reduction in fuel flow for idle and transition. Runs great just like Mr. Langdon said it would....tuned it and drove it a day.....crisper across the RPM band on the main but slightly worse on the transition into the secondary.

The secondary, at the top of main, bottom of secondary still dropped into a lean hole when ya hammered it. Timing advance was not a help so set it back to 17 BTDC and thought it thru.

That 125 jet on the main, at the base of the emulsion tube, limits the total fuel running into the circuit, bottom to top. Swapped it out for the original 140 jet and retuned the emulsion flow and closed the lower butterfly a touch more....out for a drive.

Still very crisp on the main and you can hammer the secondary on in all gears with no hesitation. Got it out on the highway and same thing, ya can push hard in OD with only the tiniest surging up hill at WOT.

So, I think I have it 99%. Gotta drive it a week or so. May need a slightly larger main jet on the Secondary to make sure I continually to run richer in the top of the secondary all the way to WOT....should take out the surging but overall,......

A very productive half hour.

Newest Weber 32/36 DGEV Settings:

89 to 93 Octane
17 degrees BTDC, GM Electronic Ignition, Ported Vacuum
500 rpm hot idle speed, smooth as glass
60 idle jet, 2.5 turns rich
Idle butterfly screw 1.5 turns from first contact
65 secondary jet
140 primary main jet
165 secondary main jet
170 primary air jet
160 secondary air jet

Last edited by Sharps40; 01-26-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #821
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Now arriving home from some pretty awesome power pulls on country highway, w/o pinging or hesitation I decided to track down some post shut down percolation which puts a bit of raw fuel on the bottom outside of the carb, every time, all weather about 15 minutes after shutdown.

It seems modern gas boils off around 100 degrees F. Not a problem for fuel injection which is pressurized to 40 odd lbs and no place for it to boil.

But I wanted to verify bowl fuel temps from shutdown to about 30 minutes out with the hood closed. Its 45 degrees out today. So if the carb perks and the fuel temp is high, I'll know I need to further insulate the carb, essentially a barricade between the manifold and bowl to help with heat soaking after shutting down.

Off we go, under the hood and immediately dunked in my temp probe thru the open slit in the top of the carb and slapped the air cleaner on and closed the hood.

Initial temp of the fuel in the bowl (carb sits on an insulating spacer, so we know now this is in fact a radiant heat issue) and shows the following temp about 5 minutes post shutdown.

Within about 15 minutes the fuel in the bowl has risen in temp considerably......at this point I lifted the hood for a bout the sixth time and noticed the first bit of wetting out on the outside of the carb....basically, fuel expansion and potential perking. (Yep, the float is set perfect at 39mm up, 50mm down.....)

From here things slowed down...long about 30 minutes the maximum temperature of fuel in the bowl was reached....on a 40 degree day.......

As you can see, add in summer temps and post shutdown, even with the hood open can lead to expansion and percolation.

I will probably first try lowering the float a smidge. But that alters the performance of the carb so have to be careful.

For sure, I'll be seeking out and adding insulation to the fuel lines and putting some form of heat blanket on top of the manifold to further protect the carb from excessive radiated heat.

In all, another 30 minutes well spent.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #822
Sharps40
Account Suspended

It don't snow much in Central NC....but when we get a warning, regardless of the projected quantity, a mental infarction smacks us all down.......

Of course, I buy Borbon and pretzils instead....

http://nj1015.com/snow-is-on-the-way...nd-milk-video/
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #823
Sharps40
Account Suspended

This guy shoulda been on the grammies....much more fun than mass weddings and crap. Sounds a lil bit like a 250 hooked to a Thrush bangin thru the gears.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:41 AM   #824
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Sound bite: (Cheep style, I aint gotta recorder) Me and John Lee in the Sno doin doughnuts!

Zooooooooommmmmm, Weeeeeeee! Yiippppeeeeeee!

Vrrrrroooooooommmmmmmm, Yoooohoooooo! Huzzahhhhh!

Vrrrrroooommmmmm - Screeeeeeeccchhhhhhh (found a dry spot) - Zoooooommmmmmm, Yeeee Haaaaaaaa!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 AM   #825
Sharps40
Account Suspended

We don't get much sno in central NC so when it comes and it sticks its a big big deal and the local and city governments get out early with the tiny bit o equipment they got and make the best preparations for the ensuing combat style driving that they can....

Yesterday at 1500 the local city truck came by...before the sleet and freezing rain and sno was predicted to start....couple guys with plastic bags and shovels standin in the back. Drove slow down my residential street....dipped shovel in bag, sprinkled contents...dip, sprinkle, roll, dip, sprinkle, roll ... till they turned the corner and went further into the residential area justa dippin and sprinkling all the way.

I went up to get the mail and look it over.....

I was so proud. Lee County Fathers getting jiggy with the road preparation by saltin early. A lovely thin line of 2"x1" lil water softener pellets down the centerline. I can't wait to tell my Yankee Friends!
Closed Thread