The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Paradise Road

Re: My GM 383 HT Oh YA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXMAN View Post
Just thought I would throw this in in defense of GM Performance Parts engines! I am a 24 year veteran GM parts manager, and I have sold literally hundreds of GMPP engines! In 24 years, I have had 1 failed component, and that was a camshaft in a ZZ427 big block--all covered under warranty! I have sold dozens of HT383 engines for multiple purposes and even own one that's in my 71 FJ40. It is now approaching 75,000 miles and I have ran the living hell out of it! Spins 3500 RPM on the highway all day long (4.88 gears)! I also sold one to a buddy that runs it in his jet boat--4200-4500 all day long! It's definitely too bad something happened to your motor and that somebody near where you live could not get you any help on it! Good luck in the future!
...I bought an HT383 and installed it in my K30 Silverado 4x4 dually...I absolutely loved it!...until the crankshaft broke behind the damper 90 miles from home one Sunday night. $400 to tow it home. It...of course...was just out of warranty...both time and miles. It could have been worse...I had just driven the truck from coast to coast on vacation with an 11 1/2 foot camper in the bed...and I still have nightmares about what I would have done if it had broken 2000 miles from home instead of 90. I have a really nice Silverado sitting for literally years now because I haven't had the time or money to fix it. I was a loyal small block chevy fan for 44 years...no more. I will eventually fix this engine with an after market crank...but no more chevrolet for me...
Paradise Road is offline   Reply With Quote