The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
longblue72

intake gaskets for performer manifold?

As I stated in the title, im curious to know what gaskets to use with an edelbrock performer manifold. In the papers it stated to use edelbrock gaskets without the rubber or cork end pieces, and instead use rtv. Im asking if you guys have used a gasket set with those pieces on your engine, cause I believe I now have a huge intake vacuum leak using the rtv way they explained. Any help would be awesome, this is really discouraging me as I thought it would be a geat time to go 4 barrel but its really been a pita.
longblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
jlsanborn

Re: intake gaskets for performer manifold?

Felpro 1205 is the way to go. Should be hanging on the wall at O'Reilly's or similar. Don't use the rubber or cork on the ends of the valley. Just run a nice bead of RTV (about like you put tooth paste on your brush). Also smear some around the water ports on all four corners. You'll also want to coat the threads of all the bolts. It's only the two in the middle on each side that need it to keep oil from wicking up but I use it on all of them so they torque even.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

There is an additional trick to using rtv silicon on the ends. I always put about a 1/4" bead before the actual intake gaskets. This way it covers the corners well. I let the silicone set for about ten minutes, then set the manifold on and let it set for another ten miinutes befor torquing it down. If you just put the rtv on and immediately torque it dow, you just squish it all out. You dont want loose rtv inside your engine. Years ago my brother had some get loose in a 400 Pontiac and it clogged the oil pickup tube. It ruined the main bearings but luckily he noticed the low oil pressure before it ruined the crank.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
GRX

^^ good advice.

Actually, it is quite common to leave the end gaskets out if the heads & intake have been milled since that reduces the gap between manifold & block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Years ago my brother had some get loose in a 400 Pontiac and it clogged the oil pickup tube. It ruined the main bearings but luckily he noticed the low oil pressure before it ruined the crank.
Pontiac V-8 ... must have been from the valve covers or oil pan gaskets since the intake on those engines don't seal against the block - valley cover.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Ironangel

Interesting...I'm building two motors right now, one crate motor and one with reworked stock heads. Both have Edelbrock Performer intakes. I used the rubbers on both intakes and Fel-Pro MS 90314-2 intake gaskets on the crate motor and Edelbrock 7201 intake gaskets on the other. I used high temp red (smeared flat) around the water ports and high temp Permatex silicon thread sealant on the four water jacket bolts. I didnt use any silicon (except around the water ports) on the manifold because the Edelbrock gaskets have a rubber sealing ring on the gaskets. The motor that got the Fel-Pro gaskets got a thin bead of silicon on both sides, Manifold side as well as the head side...Both motors are yet to run. Guess we'll see because I'm new to this as well.
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
litew8

Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
airdale94

Using the RTV on the ends of any SBC manifold up to the Vortecs is recommended and how GM did it. Even the Fel-Pro gaskets say not to use the gaskets they include and usually include silicone.