The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #1
07travis

Reskin a 67 hood?

Hi guys. I've came across a dilemma in my build and am looking for some help! My truck currently has a 68 front clip. The issue I have is with my hood. The front drivers side corner got mashed up at some point and is beyond repair. I was fortunate enough to find a 67 hood, but it is beat up pretty bad in the middle. I noticed that these hoods have an inner and outer skin, so I've been thinking about cutting the bad section out of the top of the 67 hood and replacing it with the skin from my 68 hood which is good. Has anyone ever done this? Is it a dumb idea?!?! Here's a pic of the 67 hood. I'll get some picks of my 68 hood with the beat corner tonight. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

07travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
70shortfleet

Re: Reskin a 67 hood?

I don't know about in your neck of the woods but 67-68 hoods are always for sale around here. I would just try and find one that is in better shape. It looks like alot of work to get that one fixed and to get it straight. It can be done though!
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
slowcpe

That sounds like an awful lot of work. My hood on my '67 is decent but I found a perfect hood and will be using it instead of fixing the one I have. The hoods are out there.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Welcome to the board from a little south.
I agree with the others, find another hood.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
mechanicalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07travis View Post
Hi guys. I've came across a dilemma in my build and am looking for some help! My truck currently has a 68 front clip. The issue I have is with my hood. The front drivers side corner got mashed up at some point and is beyond repair. I was fortunate enough to find a 67 hood, but it is beat up pretty bad in the middle. I noticed that these hoods have an inner and outer skin, so I've been thinking about cutting the bad section out of the top of the 67 hood and replacing it with the skin from my 68 hood which is good. Has anyone ever done this? Is it a dumb idea?!?! Here's a pic of the 67 hood. I'll get some picks of my 68 hood with the beat corner tonight. Any help is greatly appreciated!
A good body man can splice it together, but he will likely charge you more than it would cost to find a usable hood.

That being said, you appear to be the hands on type. So, you already have the donor hood I say: what do you have to lose? Got the time on your hands, and the equipment? If it turns out bad, then you still need to get a hood.

Just remember don't weld very long in one spot or you will warp it. Can't see too well in the pic, but it appears to not be too large an area, like maybe a square foot? And, you have a straight line on each side of the cut-out area to line it up on. My suggestion: cut the patch panel out of the other hood a little large, and whittle it down, and make a reference mark on the edge of the patch panel before you remove it measured from a reference point on both sides and use it to center the panel on the hood you are repairing. Why? I don't know, just to be sure it's right. Sometimes parts are tapered and such but not sure it's an issue here but not hard to do.

Make sure you put something between the support skeleton and the top of the hood to keep it from drumming, drumming can destroy any bondo or smoother filler you put on there. Ask me how I know. LOL
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

there's always the option of a cowl hood.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:45 AM   #7
07travis

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate the help. Here are some pics of the hood that's currently on my pick up, and another pic of the 67 hood I found. I am starting to think I'll be best off to find another hood. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but it seems to be kind of hard to find a 67-8 hood in my area. Everybody's got 69-72 hoods laying aroung! I really don't think that the hood that's on my truck currently is reapirable though... What do you guys think?
Attached Images

07travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
leftybass209

Repairable? Yes. Cost effective? Heck no! I've seen what some guys can do with cars you'd think were totaled. However, it'd cost you more to repair that hood than it's worth. Find a new one and be done with it. It's unfortunate that you can't find any good hoods up there. California is littered with them.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
mechanicalman

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate the help. Here are some pics of the hood that's currently on my pick up, and another pic of the 67 hood I found. I am starting to think I'll be best off to find another hood. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but it seems to be kind of hard to find a 67-8 hood in my area. Everybody's got 69-72 hoods laying aroung! I really don't think that the hood that's on my truck currently is reapirable though... What do you guys think?
Like everyone has said, repairable but not cost effective. However, if you want to move forward and cannot find a hood, and want to get an estimate, put your spare hood in the back and get the estimate based on using one of the hoods for parts.

When something is in an area that can't be pounded out, the body man will cut it out and either pound it out and re-install, replace that piece of metal with a donated part from another vehicle, or a fabricated one. By bringing the body man the needed part, you have made his job easier; don't try to help him by cutting out the part. To him, it's a plus he's using the same gauge metal from the same era. And, of course, go with whatever hood of the two the body man can do the easiest.

If you pay to get this hood repaired, you will probably find another hood for less money soon thereafter. At least, if it were me, that is what would happen LOL.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

you can cut the bad section out on the maroon hood and if the other section is good on the other hood, cut it out for the maroon hood, But i like metal work.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Welcome to the board from a little south.
I agree with the others, find another hood.
same thing here. Only a bit further south. Sioux Falls to be exact.

I remember guys in my area selling parts but for the life of me, I can't remember the contact info.

Patching a large mostly flat surface is very tough to do without having waves. It gets worse when it is on a horizontal panel right in front of your eyes while driving.

I'll put some feelers out for you and see what bites.

PM me your info
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

just looked at the pics again. If a guy was hell bent on fixing one of the 2, I keep the red one. The damage is in a smaller area.

Hey, brain storm time. Check with the instructors at your local VoTech and see if they want to tackle it
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #13
71swb4x4

See if Homebuilt Hotrods has one. He is in Sioux Falls and sells a few parts.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=112964
Old 09-30-2014, 09:59 PM   #14
michael bustamante

Quote:
Thatll buff right out.
I say go for it. You could even get rid of the rise in the middle and make it all smooth
Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #15
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
See if Homebuilt Hotrods has one. He is in Sioux Falls and sells a few parts.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/member.php?u=112964
what the ??!! Another guy local and I didn't know about him?!
Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #16
68shortwide

Craigslist is your friend. Use it wisely lol some of the people are questionable but I've gotten great stuff from clist lol
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #17
Grumpy old man

Some heat and the correct dollys and a good "shrinking hammer" and you could save what you have without cutting it apart , you have already found a donor hood with the thought of cutting them both ... Sell both of them and buy a good hood and save the time and effort .Some times it's just good to know when to say enough and buy the good replacement .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote