The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
VWNate1

Exclamation Prophylactic Measure

This is a very good idea and should be done to all our trucks , the collected leaves rusted out and destroyed my other wise perfect low mileage , good original paint cab .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
I installed a cowl screen today to keep all the dang leaves out of my cab via thru the vents. I used some screen door mesh that I had laying around & I hot glued it to the back side of the cowl. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, the screen kept wanting to roll up on me before the hot glue set up, but it was by far cheaper than ordering one thru a vendor.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

IIRC there are _three_ splines to line up in a torque converter , most of the time one slips right in and you have to invert the tranny and hand spin the T.C. back and forth until you hear / feel it click and drop twice more .

It'll be close to the inside of the bell housing when it's right , at least 1/4" between the flex plate and the T.C. when you offer up the tranny ~ never , EVER force it ! therein lies madness and an empty wallet .

I just got another 'phone call from The paint Jail ~ it seems he's hot to trot on painting my truck now and really wants me to come get my driveline , he says no problems painting the bottom of the cab green to match and suit me , they guy who's paying for it .

I'll go by in a day or so and drop him off some $ if I see progress , I assume there will be .

QUESTION : many of the I6 powered trucks I see , have the inner upper lip of the right hand frame rail , right in front of the passenger side motor mount , cracked and bent up a little bit ~ what's the deal with this ? I am having him heat it , massage flat and butt weld it from underneath as I don't like cracks in anything , they tend to creep with the way I drive .

Please run out to your truck or that nasty old frame in the weeds and take a look see , report back here .

TIA ,
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
texjake

Re: Prophylactic Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
This is a very good idea and should be done to all our trucks , the collected leaves rusted out and destroyed my other wise perfect low mileage , good original paint cab .

-Nate
I agree. I installed the cowl screen because I just completed the interior and got tired of all the trash coming thru the vents & I was vaccumming up leaves on my new carpet everyday. lol
Old 10-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
VWNate1

Post Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Well ;

Back when this truck was new and I was lucky to drive / ride in post WWII vehicles, part & parcel of Spring was to take a spirited ride with those " crotch cooler " A Pillar vents wide open and get leaves and dust into your eyes and mouth , then you'd clean out the cab (trucks) or interior (cars) and be able to use those wonderful vents all Spring and Summer long.....

Times have changed for most but not for a few of us Geezers ~ I unload the entire cab before that ride so I don't get all the other crap I carry , full of leaves .

Maybe I'll have my painter add some screen , is brass screen still available ? .

I am *VERY* excited to be thinking of having my truck back by New year's maybe .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Prophylactic Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
I agree. I installed the cowl screen because I just completed the interior and got tired of all the trash coming thru the vents & I was vaccumming up leaves on my new carpet everyday. lol
On a stock heater.AC combo, I'm all for the anti-leaf screen.

Running VA, I don't use the kick panel vents. So we (Lee The Painter *actually* did it) used sheet metal to seal these up.

Except for the holes for the window washers, it's pretty water tight...Let alone, a good way to keep out the leaves.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
Closed Thread