The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
MAC71

KBS paint for my frame? Advice needed

I just had my frame sandblasted and I was going to use a paint that I had used before on a different project that is from Summit Racing that is a two part paint. I tried to order it but apparently Summit, Eastwood and other places can no longer ship these type of paints to Utah. I went to two different local paint shops and asked what they recommended and both stated the KBS rustseal paint. I really wanted to get it painted this weekend as it may be the last warm weekend for the winter and I have extra time off so I got it. Well it takes a while to dry so I was only able to paint two coats on one side and will have to paint the other side tomorrow.
Here is my question, has any one else used the KBS paint and what results did you get. I am now worried because I was reading some stuff online that it fades. I also see there is a different KBS paint called blacktop. Should this go over the rust seal? I am hoping that just two coats of the KBS rustseal will be good for a daily driver as stated by the paint supply shops.
Any advice is appreciated.

1971 C10 350
1969 C20 396
1979 Corvette L-82
MAC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:01 AM   #2
bpatrol

Re: KBS paint for my frame? Advice needed

I have used it. it is exactly like por 15. It will bond well to metal but I believe its an epoxy and is not uv stable.
You need to topcoat it. they sell blacktop for that.
It is durable and I would recommend it.
If the parts you are painting will not see constant direct sunlight they don't need to be top coated
god bless
bpatrol
bpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
MAC71

I got the blacktop and top coated it. Hope it holds up.

1971 C10 350
1969 C20 396
1979 Corvette L-82
MAC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
pwdcougar

I used KBS on my K10 Suburban frame and I'm not really that happy with it. First the Blacktop paint was solidified in the can and it took a few days to get the replacement. I used the spray primer they sent but it seems to chip really easily. Next I painted the axle cover after sandblasting. The grey Rustseal went on fine but the Blacktop peeled off. I followed the directions to the letter too.

On a side note a friend knows someone who works for POR15. He says that they are having a huge problem with counterfeit POR15 sold on the internet.

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
deadbodyman

If your going to all the trouble of blasting you want it to look good, right? heres some professional advise for a pro looking job.Get SPI epoxy primer, its hands down THE best primer you can get ,it seals and also has a UV protectant so it wont fade which means you dont need to paint it, it comes in black and has a semi gloss finish that looks great (close to oem). I usually use SPI urathane matt black or gloss black over it as a top coat...but like I said it's not really needed and it lasts for years and years and tough as heck against chips and scratches...they also have a 24 hr hotline for any questions you may have just dial the number and you'll get someone 404-307-9740
I've been using it for years and highly recomend it....great bunch of guys...
deadbodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
HeavyChevy70

I've tried KBS, Por15 and Chassis Saver. KBS came in second for my favorite. Chassis Saver was the best product I used on my International Truck frame. I also top coat it with another color. I used Rustoleum red primer over it and the rust never came back and it still looks good. The truck sits outside as I have no garage. As with any metal coating, more time in the preparation of the metal will benefit you in the long run. I plan to use it on my 70 K20 project next spring.
HeavyChevy70 is offline   Reply With Quote