The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
jmlcolorado

Frame Box Kits?

Folks,
I'm looking for a frame boxing kit for my 68 C10. I have everything all torn down and Ive quite a bit of frame flex. My intentions are to eventually use the truck for some weekend auto cross and would like to eliminate as much flex as i can.
Anyone know where to find a basic kit for our trucks or am i stuck making my own?
Thanks!
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: Frame Box Kits?

all the frames i've boxed over the years i just made my own// easy enough to do with a scribe and a jigsaw never saw a need to pay somebody to do it
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I am unaware of any manufacturers that provide a frame boxing kit for these trucks. I did stumble upon a thread in the CK5 forum that talks about a kit, check it out here: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262271

Having had access to plate shears and an NC burn table I too always made my own out of 10 ga. or 3/16" steel, depending on the functionality of the boxing plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
all the frames i've boxed over the years i just made my own// easy enough to do with a scribe and a jigsaw never saw a need to pay somebody to do it
What gauge steel did you make boxing plates out of that you could cut it with a jigsaw?

Last edited by lakeroadster; 04-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
cdowns

i've made boxing plates out of 1/8 and also 3/16 i rreally prefed the 3/6 as it was easyer to tap holes for mounting clips etc// mostly depended on what i could get my hands on

never had a problem with cutting with a jigsaw anything 5/16 and thinner as it is all in tecnique right blade right speed lubrication to cut metal
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
jmlcolorado

I'm just having a hard time getting the motivation to go to town with the tools i have. Ill cut miles of sheet metal with a grinder wheel but man, cutting that much 3/16" with just my grinder seems boring! and labor intensive.

I have read so many posts on the up and down side to boxing but with the amount of flex i have, and having the truck on bags, i would sure like to tighten it up. All the downsides ofredusing flex have all come by the way of 4x4 guys. I certainly don't expect to put that much intentional flex on the truck

Last edited by jmlcolorado; 04-29-2011 at 10:11 PM.
jmlcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
DubyaS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I am unaware of any manufacturers that provide a frame boxing kit for these trucks. I did stumble upon a thread in the CK5 forum that talks about a kit, check it out here: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262271

Having had access to plate shears and an NC burn table I too always made my own out of 10 ga. or 3/16" steel, depending on the functionality of the boxing plate.

What gauge steel did you make boxing plates out of that you could cut it with a jigsaw?
Just FYI, that K5 link is only for a square body frame boxing kit, because I just called them LOL
DubyaS6 is offline   Reply With Quote