The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Hogshooter

drop spindle/rotor/caliper? mismatched

I have a crazy deal going on a truck I bought in pieces, the frame was a roller with drop spindles on and rotors but no calipers or pads.

Rotors are thick 1.25" so I ordered calipers and pads for a 72, received them and when I try to install the inboard brake pad won't fit or it does not slide past the rotor.

I went to the parts store and got a set of rotors for a 72 to make sure that was not the issue and I have the same problem with the new parts. The spindles have no markings except C-10 RH with a circle and an L inside the circle, the only number I see looks like 050806 but it is pretty hard to tell with the casting.

Could I have a set of spindles made for a 1" rotor? I have a 78 C10 front suspension I pulled the caliper and tried just to see and it has the same issue. I have a receipt from 1996 where the spindles were purchased from sport truck direct (no longer in business) and it has no brand, it does say rotor thk .00.

So... will the thicker rotors fit with the stock wheel bearings and look right till the calipers and pads go on? I think they bought used rotors and put them on the spindles and never attempted to go further. I looked at a 1" rotor at the parts store and the bearing races looked like a different size so I didn't bring one home to try, but that is next if you guys think it will work.
Hogshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #2
Hogshooter

Re: drop spindle/rotor/caliper? mismatched

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...or+differences This is the problem I have, gonna get some 1" rotors today.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

1" rotors ONLY fit 73-87 Light Duty spindles.
You will also need calipers and bearings for these 1" rotors, because they are different.
(the Light Duty rotor takes a different inner bearing)
You have everything new for the HD parts,... I would stick to that.
I would think you have the wrong spindle.
Especially if the 1" rotors fit it.
Start fresh with a set of 73-87 HD spindles or swap everything to the 1" version.
I'm not sure which choice will be cheaper for you.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Hogshooter

I got the light duty rotors but they would not work, inner bearing is to small on the I.D. This has been a weird issue since I bought the HD rotors and they wouldn't work, but I have a 78 front suspension that is complete so I put those rotors on and the calipers fit with the new brake pads. S I am going to clean and repack the bearings and clean and paint the rotors and just use them. I agree it is a issue with the spindles it was just another frustrating part in this basket case build.