The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
Paul Y

The too good to be true LS6 - Advice Please

So...

I have been looking for a T56 for my LS conversion for the past few months. Never seem to be quick enough to get the 'good deals'...

Today, through a friend of a friend I have been offered a complete LS6 and T56 that was removed from a 2002 Trans Am. Yes I know the LS6 didn't come in the Trans Am but apparently this was a dealer installed crate engine and has 44K miles on it.

This is where I need the advice.

From the picture I have been sent I think the car was a 'Flood Victim'. The engine and gearbox are quite heavily stained and the exhaust manifolds are very...crusty...

If it was a flood victim, what should I be looking for that would make me walk away?

Obvious stuff is water in the oil and electrical connections but what else.

If it has been in a flood would that really affect the drive train? I suppose it depends on how long and how deep..(narf, narf)

For the price (it is very cheap) and bearing in mind I was only looking for the transmission I am tempted to take a risk. I have a good LM7 here that was my original planned transplant for Woody so, as long as the gearbox is good I am ahead.

Problem is that my 'if it looks too good to be true...' spider senses are tingling.

Bit of a rambling thread but would appreciate any pointers.

Many thanks,

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
tucker69

Re: The too good to be true LS6 - Advice Please

Well buddy, My 2 cents, from someone who has bought many flood damaged vehicles. Just depends if it was running when it went into water. If it was then chances are water was sucked up into engine thru throttle body and done some internal engine damage. If not, there is a good chance you could simply change all fluids,pull spark plugs(spin engine over) and try to crank her up. if no one has messed with engine, I would not try turning engine over until doing above. As far as transmission, there is better chance you can drain/fill fluid and be okay. Now the clutch is another deal. I would inspect the clutch close for cracks and such.... anyway, good luck with your purchase....Casey
tucker69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
clinebarger

Drain the Transmission & Engine oil BEFORE buying it, If water sat in the T56 for any length of time...It will need tore down & inspected, Then you will find a lot of expensive parts need replaced.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:28 AM   #4
Paul Y

Thanks Gents.

Going to have a look at the weekend. Taking some tools to turn it over, remove plugs and a plunger to suck the oil out of the gearbox to inspect.

If all looks good plan to spin it over on a spare battery and check compression.

will let you know.

P.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Paul Y

Oh I do love those that think they can take others for a...Ride...

The LS6 turned out to be a a Lexus LS400 engine with a, well I think , an RX8 6 speed gearbox.

The pictures sent where off the internet and I think the guy was not expecting me to turn up before sending the money...

Anyway... Not a complete loss as I got to see some of the best 'Reality TV' in real life as he tried to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about...

NEXT!

P.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
71swb4x4

What a doofus. Glad he didn't rip you off.