The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 PM   #1
Jemezcrusher

235 Center of gravity

I have my 235 on an engine stand. Had difficulty getting the arms on the stand to connect to upper and lower bell housing holes but finally got it configured.

I am going to make some shorter arms as it appears that the engine (standing straight up) is above the center of gravity. The center of the pivot is closer to the crank than the head.

Anyone got a good idea where the rotating axis should be so that it does not flop over when I start to rotate? All I am doing is new gaskets and paint. Head is not coming off.
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 235 Center of gravity

I don't use a newer stand on a 235.The dressed weight for a 235 is 660 lbs.
I leave it on a table on it side to do pistons and pans then set it in a cradle on the floor to put on the cylinder head. Less chance of getting hurt when you try to flip it
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #3
Jemezcrusher

That's why I asked the question. Should not be an issue if properly centered. I have had small block chevy (575 lbs) and 460 Ford (680 lbs) on this stand with no issues. Just concerned getting it in the proper position so that the weight properly distributed.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
buckkoo

If you haven't already, go to

http://devestechnet.com

This is a great site for the 235 and he actually shows a template he made for his Harbor Freight engine stand to solve the problem that you're talking about.

He also has a PCV solution that eliminates the down draft ventilation and a full flow oil filter which replace the bypass filter(if you have one) as it filters less than 20% of your oil.

Last edited by buckkoo; 05-04-2016 at 11:36 AM.
buckkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkoo View Post

This is a great site for the 235 and he actually show a template he made for his Harbor Freight engine stand to solve the problem that you're talking about.

He also has a PCV solution that eliminates the down draft ventilation and a full flow oil filter which replace the bypass filter(if you have one) as it filters less than 20% of your oil.
Wow! That is a pretty cool Forum! wish there was a site like that for 55-59TF Trucks.
Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Wow! That is a pretty cool Forum! wish there was a site like that for 55-59TF Trucks.
Allen
You are on it. Just need to ask or used the search function. Stovebolts.com is another orientated more towards stock trucks.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
You are on it. Just need to ask or used the search function. Stovebolts.com is another orientated more towards stock trucks.
You are Right Orrie, I meant no disrespect to this site at all.

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #8
speesh

Buckoo, thanks a lot for posting that link to devestechnet.com/. I don't know how I have missed that site, but it is very informative for those of us who are keeping it stock. 58CameoAZ, it looks like a lot of stuff on there also applies to our trucks, for example there is a rebuild of a 1959 235 engine.
I can't see much of the site yet because my internet is acting up but it is already being listed in favorites!
Thanks again....
speesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
tmoble

COG usually about the same height as the cam on V-8s, higher on 6-cyl. try it about half way between the cam and top of the block. should be OK after head install.

I did a 302 Jimmy for a guy awhile back. had to rebuild my engine stand completely. One of the main tricks is to extend the pivot. mine is now about a for long, turns any engine with ease. Rotate a SBC with one hand.
tmoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
1-ton of fun
polishing a turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkoo View Post

This is a great site for the 235 and he actually shows a template he made for his Harbor Freight engine stand to solve the problem that you're talking about.

I put a pcv in place of the downdraft tube on my Buick and it almost completely elminated any smelly running engine smells I was getting (other than exhaust out the tailpipe)
Posted via Mobile Device
1-ton of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
Jemezcrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoble View Post
COG usually about the same height as the cam on V-8s, higher on 6-cyl. try it about half way between the cam and top of the block. should be OK after head install.

I did a 302 Jimmy for a guy awhile back. had to rebuild my engine stand completely. One of the main tricks is to extend the pivot. mine is now about a for long, turns any engine with ease. Rotate a SBC with one hand.
I assume the cam position is the round boss between the crank and head.

that looks like a pretty good spot