The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

harmonic balancer SBC

So, I'm going back through and putting a 350 I built 20yrs ago for a project that never came to be. I've been looking things over and turns out my harmonic balancer has some questionable wear on it.

Since what I seem to read says replace if in doubt, I need to get a new one. The motor is was built to be a nice running street motor, so it has a 270/280 Mega Hydr Cam, bored with 60 over flat tops, valve job, 4 barrel carb and I had the crank polished and balanced. I seem to recall taking the harmonic balancer in for the balance, but I see no signs of any drill marks on it.

Am I correct, that if he didn't alter the balancer, I can just replace it or should I have him rebalance the crank? I plan to pull the crank loose tonight to relube the bearings and I was hoping to then button up the lower end, so I can get this thing running soon.

With the above motor, is it necessary to go with a higher end balancer or is a nice 'factory' style ok? I priced two at O'reilly, one was $50 and the other $84. I've also priced elsewhere but obviously the prices are all over the place. I do like having a scale and the $84 one has that. Jegs has a Professional Products one that appears to be $150. Is that necessary on a motor that is developed more for street and low end torque than racing?

....I realize racers probably spend way more!
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote