The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
weq92f

700r4 TV cable adjust=HUGE CHANGE

Decided yesterday to adjust the throttle linkage ( a bit loose ) and the TV cable ( a little too slack ). The reason: I've been getting some slow, soft shifts and the first to second shift was killing me as it just seemed like 2nd was super high compared to 1st.

My setup has the standard half-moon shaped "button" on the TV cable bracket up on the intake. After tightening up the throttle cable slightly to remove the slop, I used the "button" to move the cable "base" as far back toward the rear as possible so that it was adjusted as tight as it will go at closed throttle.

Then I actuated the throttle pedal in the cab fully a few times real slow which caused the TV cable adjustment to ratchet out about 3 notches. Each notch looks to be less than a quarter of an inch.

With that adjustment in and after reaching full operating temp:
Shifts were very hard and very late for 2nd, and 3rd. 4th came at too high a speed.

Went under the hood and pulled the cable on notch further out. With that in the shifts were still pretty hard and a bit late and reached 4th round 50mph.

Adjusted it one more notch out ( looser ). This brought the shift point and feel to a very nice spot!! 4th now comes in anywhere between 45 and 60 depending on what I'm doing with the throttle. It now has 2 distinct down shift levels depending again on throttle depth. As those pressures come up in the tranny via the TV cable, the shifts just seem to happen when they should and with the right amount of force! The truck is a completely different animal now.

Whereas before it was more of a slow cruiser, now it is extremely peppy and seems eager to go fast in any gear at any speed. I'm blown away by the amount of change in drivability and the fun factor that can be had with a simple TV cable adjustment.

How many folk are running their 700r4/200r4 with crappy TV cable setting? I suspect quite a few.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
davepl

Re: 700r4 TV cable adjust=HUGE CHANGE

I don't think there are many because the transmissions won't last very long with an improperly set TV cable. As you found, the pressures get low and clutches slip and things go soggy, but the whole time it's slipping and wearing the clutches badly.

Depending on how far yours was out of adjustment (and not to worry you) it likely did put a fair bit of wear on yours until you got it set right.

It's completely different from the old kickdown cables because it controls line and clutch pressures, not just shift points.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
weq92f

Re: 700r4 TV cable adjust=HUGE CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Depending on how far yours was out of adjustment (and not to worry you) it likely did put a fair bit of wear on yours until you got it set right.

It's completely different from the old kickdown cables because it controls line and clutch pressures, not just shift points.
Yeah, I knew about the functionality of the TV, but this being my first time messing around with it, I was shocked how much difference could be made in the overall driving characteristics. I have a lot more respect for this tranny now.

I don't think I was doing any direct damage, but yes, probably with the soft shifts, I put some wear on the clutches. I know I was loping it in 4th at too low of speeds also, but I was aware of that and tried to minimize it.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote