The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
paintman

Re: Kell's Two Cents - 1946 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokellurself View Post
Damn this youtube embed. I tried taking the "s" out of http as this forum suggests but to no avail

I'll have to wait till labor day to really verify that I'm good to go but after having a very hard time bleeding the rear, I think the ultimate thing was the booster-mc gap. From what I measured it had nearly 1 5/16" to start with. I got a longer bolt and got it down to 1/4"
Please explain longer bolt, I'm not sure what you mean.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
gokellurself

The adjustment bolt on the back of the booster rod, which activates the cylinder, was only like 3/4" in total length so I wasn't able to extend it out far enough to close the gap that I needed. I replaced it with a longer bolt in order to have it extend out farther. A photo would really go a long ways here, and who knows I might be doing it all wrong but I was really moving trying to wrap it up today and didn't snap any shots
gokellurself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #3
gokellurself

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Please explain longer bolt, I'm not sure what you mean.
ok here we go. I changed out this little bolt with one about an inch longer. this way it extended into the rod solid but then stuck out about an inch as well. I put a new nut and a lock washer on it to lock it in place

guys please somebody let me know if I should not have done this for any reason. I was just trying to close the gap up

[/url]
Old 08-24-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
paintman

Man I wish I had this picture 2 weeks ago when I was screwing with my booster. This bolt you are talking about, does it thread into the main rod that goes into the booster?
When I did my measurement I had about 8-9 mm gap between the rod and the piston. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to adjust the rod to take up the gap between the booster rod a the MC piston. I ended up shimming out the poston in the MC. Probably not the best solution but at least it made my pedal better.
Where did you find a longer bolt? I'm still not sure I understand what is going on in the pic. Is it a threaded rod within the larger rod?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #5
paintman

Curious, do you know what size MC you have Cell? I was told to go bigger, but also hear a smaller 15/16 MC would work better. URGHHHHHHH!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
gokellurself

Yeah so the "Hydraulic Push Rod" is what's going to activate the MC. The small bolt at the end of it even had a little lock nut on it, so it looked like it was there to provide adjustment. I pulled the bolt and it was just a standard 1/4-24 bolt, so I hit the hardware store and got a longer one. I couldn't find the exact same head so I just went with a Fabory phillips head.

What trips me out is that with my booster and MC coming together I figured it'd at least be pretty close, but it had about an 1 5/16" gap, just wayyy too big. With the new bolt I set it to about a 1/4" and it felt way better, but now I'm just doing some reading and found an article claiming .020" to be the right gap, so it sounds like I still have a ways to go. Hope that helps