The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
1968 baby blue C10

Re: 1989 Western Hauler

Hello, and welcome to the forum man. I am new as well and still getting the hang of things. I am no where near qualified to help you on your estimated cost question. But I just had to comment because that is an awesome story. Plus I've never even seen one of those trucks before, that thing is incredible. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck man. Don't worry about it, you'll get it done. Just one step at a time.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #2
droberts12

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I cant wait to get started on this, as soon as we get the title the work will begin. I will post pics of the progress once the work starts. I have already had an amazing time with this truck. It gets so much attention. I have had people stopping by the house wanting to see it, i cant wait to actually have it out on the road. We just went through Hurricane Harvey, and i was so worried about it sitting in my garage. I had a friend tell me that my wall had blew off, so i was sick to my stomach coming back home after, but thank God the truck was undamaged.
Attached Images

droberts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
1968 baby blue C10

I'm excited to see your progress with this truck. I will definitely be subscribed to this thread. Were those a factory GM trucks or were they a conversion company thing? And Is it a gasoline or Diesel engine? I literally know nothing about them. I'm stunned that I've never seen one.
And wow man I just now realized that you are in Texas. All my family's prayers are with everyone down there. I'm really glad your truck was un damaged. It could've been terrible.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
MidwesternTexan

Welcome to the Forum!
Pittsburg, TX here.
Been praying for Y’all on the Coast...

As far as fixing the truck, I would start by getting
a “journal” started, taking pictures of the mechanicals,
Spend a day just cleaning everything real well.

Be patient and allow yourself plenty of time
to get that beautiful rig back on the road!

And above all else, NEVER throw anything away.
Oh, and visit here often, please!
The ladies and gents here ReaLLLLLy “Know” vehicles
MidwesternTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Welcome to the forum..you are among friends...

First up, double check the VIN on the title is the same as the VIN on the truck...I believe the door plate is on drivers door rear pillar...

Is there a SPID on the glovebox lid....its usually a factory label that lists the factory options the original build was from the factory.

Golden rule number 1....never throw away anything...you will need something sometime...

Is this a diesel ?

Dont post your VIN on the open forum...you can run a vin check yourself using google to find some lists...or go to LMCtruck.com and enter the year and model etc of the truck...their parts manual will display that has on its first few pages, lists of all the build numbers and options etc...

Again, welcome...you can always PM members if you like...

Glad Harvey didnt cause too much damage.

aussie, aussie, aussie....
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
droberts12

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the great advice. I would have been throwing things away, so thanks for letting me know that. I will also check the vin numbers. No it is not a diesel, it has a 7.4 454. Yes i know the gas mileage is gonna be like 5 mpg. Its got the two tanks and a 90 gallon in the bed. It will cost a small fortune to drive but it will be so worth it. Thanks again for the advice, you guys are the best.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
droberts12

So i did a carfax on the truck i bought and i found out back in 2005 the truck was registered in a flood zone. Not a big deal right? But the fact it was never registered after that and it was sitting there for 10 years really makes me think it did get flooded. When i bought the truck it was very moist inside. I just thought it was from the top leaking in but now i am kind of thinking that is not the case. If it was flooded wouldnt he have to tell me. I did ask him and he said no. If it was flooded and it has been sitting there for 12 years and not the 10 he said, would the engine and trans be usable? If it does need to be replaced should i go back with a 454 or would a 350 be better? I do not plan on pulling anything big and i was wondering if gas mileage would be a lot better with a 350 vs the 454 it has now. I have not had any work done to it yet because he is giving me the run around with the title.