The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #26
faribran

Re: Help the Newb! Saginaw 4 speed questions

I know it's a bit late.... But shouldn't you have addressed the leak prior to a refill?
Might consider changing the bushing in tail shaft along with a new seal
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #27
Tellerbama

Ya, I couldn't decide what to do first. The oil is cheap enough that I figured I'd fill it so I could test drive the truck after I had the truck shifting well. Weird thing is...I went out there a few hours after filling the tranny and there is no fluid on the cardboard. Not sure what I could have done to accidentally stop the leak.
Tellerbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #28
geezer#99

Thicker oil!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #29
Tellerbama

Alright, crazy holiday season is taking all my time up! The leak is back and I'm 99% sure its the seal so I will deal with that later. I tried putting in the bushing kit this morning and my lever wouldn't accept the metal bushing. I removed the arm from the tranny and will drill it out at work tomorrow so I can fit it in there. The rod fit nicely inside the bushing, however. I'm hoping I can get it back together and driving soon. I couldn't find the 1/4" setup hole on the shifter so I'll have to look again when I get under there next time. I can see how much more enjoyable setting up a transmission would be on a workbench and not under a lowered truck
Old 12-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #30
Tellerbama

Never mind, I got some help with kids today and was able to get it all put together. My shifting linkage arms weren't standard size though so I had to drill press the holes to 1/2" but eventually got it together. I wouldn't say it's super smooth but it's 1000x better. Whoever set it up last did a good job aligning everything...I didn't have to move the rods much. Thanks for all the info, guys. Now I just gotta address the cracked exhaust manifold and I should be grabbing milk in style.