The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
RedRider

Re: Suspension pulled - a little write-up

Great tips, thanks for re-posting this! It's so nice to have all the resources here to craft a proper plan of attack.

More info on this thread too:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=747710

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Top ball joints I cut the heads off the rivets with a Dremel, and drilled through the rivets to 9/32". I drilled the plates to one bit larger. That was enough to pry the plate off the upper control arm.
Without the use of air tools, I found this to be the best way to get the upper ball joint out. You can upgrade to an angle grinder, but the dremel is precise and won't put the upper control arm in jeopardy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Bottom ball joints I borrowed a press clamp from O'Reily's. .. I inserted the ball joint stud into the rod and pressed the ball joint out easily. That leaves the rim of the ball joint behind, so I reinstalled the pin, and used a plate on top to press the rest out. Another easy task.
Yes, rent the ball joint press to pull the old one out. Then, keep it around to push the new one in. Simple as that.

Just to emphasize again, be very mindful of the front coil spring. Know when it's under compression don't take any shortcuts. That thing is a ticking time bomb.