The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 AM   #26
Sleipnir

Re: Need help with HEI on L6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
It will but you gotta wonder why general motors switched over to a wire that gives it a full 12 volts.
If the resistor wire was adequate, why change it. Why would they spend more money? When you’re talking a million vehicles a change costs millions of dollars. Cuts your profits.
Likely the module and the coil needed 12 volts, so they didn’t need the resistor wire and they turfed it for a dedicated 12 v supply.
You can run it as you like but if you start having trouble with the module or coil, I’m sure you can get one of those other experts in your thread to help with the cost.

Did you gap your plugs at .045?
I am already preparing to add the 12v wire but NAPA was supposed to have the blade connectors in Wednesday and the idiot at the counter didn't order them. I called yesterday and they said they never made it into the computer. Hopefully the guy I talked to yesterday actually ordered them. If not I'm having a chat with the manager. I gapped the plugs to about .055 since people say to gap between .045 and .060 and it's a 65k coil.
Sleipnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #27
geezer#99

Re: Need help with HEI on L6

Blade connectors?
Do you mean to just replace the resistor wire to the firewall plug or are you running a new line to the fuse box?
Don’t go big on plug gaps. .045 is plenty. As they wear in the gap will get bigger.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote