The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
bmxbang

Looking for some info/advice on a 71

Alright guys looking for some info on a 71 c10 i'm looking to purchase. It was originally a LWB truck but the frame has been shortened to a SWB. It currently has a 63 step side bed on it. Thats where my questions start? I would want to put a 68-72 fleet side bed on it. The current owner did not do the frame modifications and can't answer a lot about the frame or bed. The frame looks to be cut and reinforced correctly and the thing drives nice and straight but here is my question.

Whats the best way to figure out that it was cut correctly and to the correct measurements? does the 63 bed match up to the 68-72 wheelbase? I don't have a straight on side shot but this is the best I have. all the work on the truck looks really good and done correct. but its still nerving buying some one else's project.
Attached Images

bmxbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Re: Looking for some info/advice on a 71

My opinion and mine alone.

I wouldn't buy it. It being cut is all I would need to know.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

It's just my own opinion but I wouldn't spend 1 dime or 1 minute investing in a cut down truck , In the end no matter what you do to it it's still a clone short bed frame and the value will never be the same as an original . Lot's of guys do it but for me If I had one I'd refrain from building it above what it is ,,,A clone, In your post your already concerned if it was done right and want to switch over to a fleet bed which will cost about $5,000.00 alone ...

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #4
panhead59

I agree. There's to many out there for sale to mess with anything questionable. First ? U gotta ask yourself is what is intended use of vehical ? If a 50 year old truck really does fit the need/want , then look for one with the least amount of rust and the most amount of replacing old parts already done. Not much was designed to last 50+ years. Not even back then. Just my opinion.

1959 H-D Panhead. Owned since 1978. Currently with son in Lawton, OK.
1968 Chevy Custom SWB pick up. Fleetside. Lowered 4/6. Totally refurbished. 1966 Pontiac GTO. 4 speed. Saved original 389. Now has slightly built 455 engine. 355 rear gears. Very fun to drive !
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If the modifications were done correctly and the price was right I would buy it in a heartbeat. Nothing in the world wrong with a cut down truck if it is done right. If you don't know what to look for it could be a problem but maybe you can find someone that could look at it for you or take it to a welding shop and have them inspect it. You want to make sure that the welds are good, but also that it has reinforcing plates on the inside of the frame rails.

Here is a thread on cutting down a frame to give you some idea on where it would be cut. There are different ways of cutting them but as far as I'm concerned this would be the best way.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

Of all the hundreds of thousands of posts on here and as many trucks that have been shortened I have not seen one post where a shortened frame has broken. Maybe I just missed them....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 08-27-2018 at 02:27 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: Looking for some info/advice on a 71

Just some thoughts and questions on this subject.

Has nothing to do with this truck but in general about any of them that have been cut.

#1.- How do you register it?
Every vehicle I have they want a S/N for it. If it's been cut down then that S/N is no longer any good it's for a LWB truck not a short bed.
#2.-The truck gross weight want be right either so how do you get a tag to haul anything with it.
#3.-If you have a wreck and it's your fault and the frame is cut, and they prove it was from the cutting of the frame, lookout for big law suite.
#4- How do you get it passed state inspections? If your state has them.

Just because there is a bunch of them out there doesn't mean it right. There are a bunch of thieves and murders out there to!

Just me thinking out loud about it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 08-27-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
leddzepp

Most short bed trucks of this generation that you see are cut down long beds. There is even a kit available now to do it. Used trucks are not investments, they are toys, if you like it buy it!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #8
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I would never buy a cut down truck that I intended on keeping. If you're getting at for pennies on the dollar and can flip for some free cash, then sure.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
Grumpy old man

Used trucks are not investments, they are toys, if you like it buy it![/QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else but every short bed I bought is worth WAY MORE than I paid for them Just a few short years ago , So that makes them a good investment ,Sitting in the barn covered with a tarp waiting to be built or sold later on Is an investment . Maybe there are a lot of cut down trucks out there but around here not so much .

How it works (Example): Investments can be stocks, bonds, mutual funds, interest-bearing accounts, land, derivatives, real estate, artwork, old comic books, jewelry ,autos -- anything an investor believes will produce income or become worth more.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
leddzepp

Good luck with your investments

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Good luck with your investments
You've been pretty negative over the last few months ? I thought I was the Grumpy old man ? Do you need a hug ?.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #12
Red71gmc

I wouldn't have a problem with shortening a frame if I had plans to use the truck for a driver to be driven a bunch and not worried about resale value. Or buying a shortened truck as long as the price was greatly reduced.
I would rather shorten it myself or measure everything thoroughly if already done to make sure it wasn't out of square and not high or low.
The thread LockDoc posted is the way to go if doing it. One thing to make it a little easier for new alignment would be to have a machine shop bend a piece of frame to fit snug on the inside of the old frame as a temporary jig of sorts.
I lengthened a heavy truck frame and bolted in the new inside frame after for added strength. Not pretty though and not necessary on a light duty truck.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Red71gmc

In your post your already concerned if it was done right and want to switch over to a fleet bed which will cost about $5,000.00 alone ...

This answered a question I had on my mind. I haven't added up all the pieces but figured it was high. Actually higher than I imagined...Ouch even.

I seen a shorty that was a decent price for the cab forward quality and engine. It had the 90's step side on it and I wanted to know how much to put a new short fleet side on. Maybe it's not decent price enough?
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
clay68c10

What's the cost of a new re-pop bed these days? $2k?

Finding a good used one is hard and expensive.

It looks like it needs paint anyway, so that's a cost no matter what you do with it.

Are you doing the work or farming it out? What's the cost there?

Do the math and see what you can afford.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #15
extd56

Not to get people upset but the coach companies have been cutting frames as far back as the fifties and probably further. I have a 1953 Chevy Ambulance that was coach built and the frame was cut and extended about 24 inches and I have a 1967 GMC/Chevy truck that was a coach built and the frame was cut and extended. I believe if it was done right it does not hurt. I would believe that coach built cars like limos still are cutting and extending frames. Hopefully if a frame is cut and modified it was done right and by a good welder. I know some states it is illegal to cut or modify a frame like a clip because of accidents that may have resulted from modifications.

I can tell you that after looking at a lot of rat rods and frame modifications that have been done and the steering setup I would not want to drive some of the cars or to follow it too close. This is just an opinion and we all have one.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #16
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Looking for some info/advice on a 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by extd56 View Post
Not to get people upset but the coach companies have been cutting frames as far back as the fifties and probably further. I have a 1953 Chevy Ambulance that was coach built and the frame was cut and extended about 24 inches and I have a 1967 GMC/Chevy truck that was a coach built and the frame was cut and extended. I believe if it was done right it does not hurt. I would believe that coach built cars like limos still are cutting and extending frames. Hopefully if a frame is cut and modified it was done right and by a good welder. I know some states it is illegal to cut or modify a frame like a clip because of accidents that may have resulted from modifications.

I can tell you that after looking at a lot of rat rods and frame modifications that have been done and the steering setup I would not want to drive some of the cars or to follow it too close. This is just an opinion and we all have one.
Two different things here. The company's that do frame stretching are insured and liable if something happens to one of them. They have certification for the mods they do that certified welders are welding them.
They pay big money to do this.
A guy in his backyard cutting and welding his own frame well that's a totally different thing.

I do agree with some of these rat rod mods. I've seen stuff that I shake my head at and just keep moving.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #17
bmxbang

This would honestly be a long term project. My intro to the car world started with mini trucks and grew from there. The main reason this one caught my eye is it has already had a 5.3 LS motor swap done and it was done correctly. Downside to this is he wants in my opinion a decent amount for the truck give or take around 8k (I could justify if it was a actual SWB) My background is in autobody so I love everything to do about that I just don't do engine work other than basic stuff. This truck wouldn't be a daily driver but I wanted it to have the ability to be if needed. it would mostly be used for random homedepot trips and car shows here and there once it was in decent looking condition.
bmxbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #18
old51sedan

Talking about cutting frames. About 15 years ago I was on a tour of one of the facilities here in Lansing where they were building the new chevy SSR pickup, the one with the convertible top. AS the frames came down the line we were told that they were all Blazier frames. They were run through a welding area where they proceeded to cut them in half. Then an arm lifted the front half up, flipped it over onto another conveyor belt, after they cut 10-12" off the other piece it was also flipped over, matted with the first half and welded back together. From there it proceeded down the line to add all necessary parts to build a truck. They built quite a few of these little trucks over a 3-4 year period and I've never heard of any frame problems.
I guess if a frame is shortened and done right by a certified welder, I don't believe I would be afraid of it.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote