The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
mingoman

Re: Something to tinker with...

Nice score!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Big Daddy Bear

Thanks, it was fun! That grill & headlights came off a 1989 shortbed, 2WD with a 5.7, so waitng for it to get picked down a liitle more because I could get the bare frame for about 1/3rd the cost of any other wrecking yards around here, and this is only if they have one, then are $1000.00 before taxes and such. This would be $275.00 before taxes, so worth trying for...if I hit on another half-off sale, then even better.

If I could do that, it would mean just swapping my rust free, clean cab & bed onto it and not having to mess with shortening the long bed frame and changing motor mounts from the V-6 ones...but it still currently has motor, tranny, and all the sheet metal still in place, so being by myself will be a big job using only what the yard allows for carry-in tools.

This was it before I grabbed the grill and stuff:
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #3
Big Daddy Bear

Found a short wheel base parts truck, pretty well picked over now, was a 454 SS clone....now just a cab, fenders and rolling frame...oh, and a really cool steering wheel!!

Plan for it is to finish stripping down to bare frame and scrapping the rest since it really has no value as replacement parts.

Then start cleaning it up and, probably over winter start collecting replacement suspension parts.

May still play around with shortening the LWB frame, especially now that I have something to sit side-by-side and use for measurements...will see how ambitious I get.

Haven't decided if having the bare frame blasted and powder coated or just blasted and then paint it...but that won't be likely be until next spring, so no need to rush into decisions
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2018, 01:25 AM   #4
Big Daddy Bear

Got the newest one stripped down to just a "roller." Working alone, it sure is nice to have the tractor to do the heavy lifting. Makes for a quick and easy cab removal & loading of the big stuff, especially if you don't care about a few scratches or a couple (okay maybe 87) dings here and there...

Managed to save the entire front wire harness for the dual headlights, one of the few sections that hadn't been cut up and spliced into by the previous owner.

Got a few extra bits off it for the next swap meet, and the rest is headed to the scrap yard tomorrow, so a few extra dollars headed back into the project fund is always welcome.

My bride came home from work this evening, when she walked in the door, her first words were, "Is that a load coming in or going out?"
Attached Images