The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
synner88tc

Power steering questions

I have a 71 4X4 GMC Jimmy

It currently has a manual steering box on it. I recently bought a used pump and power steering gear and am getting ready to swap and have a few questions.

1. I was told I was buying a 4X4 gear box but after some research I am realizing that it is actually a 2WD box (threaded nut on sector shaft). I am wondering if I can swap the sector shaft from my manual box to the power box? I know it can be done from a 2WD power box but not sure if they are the same on the manual ones.

2. The steering gear is very clean and doesn't appear to be leaking at all. When I re+re the sector shaft do I need to replace the seals? or can they be left if in good shape? It feels a bit like playing with fire but NAPA has them for $50 CAD and if I save a few bucks for another part....

3. My pump reservoir has a little bit of surface rust in it from sitting dry. I have cleaned some of it up with a small wire brush but want to flush it out with something. Is it safe to wash it out with brake clean? OR?

Thanks in advance for any help!
synner88tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
rjs53

Re: Power steering questions

I would think you could run trans fluid thru it to clean, as trans fluid is a detergent and lube. Not sure what brake clean might do. Sorry can't help with the rest.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
synner88tc

So you are thinking just assemble it and then run the ATF as a cleaner and then change the fluid after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs53 View Post
I would think you could run trans fluid thru it to clean, as trans fluid is a detergent and lube. Not sure what brake clean might do. Sorry can't help with the rest.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
rjs53

Not sure how you could catch any trash that might be in it. Dirt, rust or anything like that
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
synner88tc

That is my concern. I see in-line filters at NAPA but I assume they are on the return line so any junk will go through the gear box first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs53 View Post
Not sure how you could catch any trash that might be in it. Dirt, rust or anything like that
Old 12-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
kazoocruiser

If the pump is the ham-can looking thing, you can remove the can from the pump by removing the bolts on the back of the reservoir and prying off the can from the pump. There is only one o-ring sealing the pump to the reservoir so that would allow you to flush the reservoir without pulling trash into the pump.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
Bigdav160

AFAIK, the sector shafts do NOT interchange between the manual and power boxes
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
synner88tc

Good call. I have looked everywhere and have had no luck finding that o ring tho. wonder if it would survive the separation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoocruiser View Post
If the pump is the ham-can looking thing, you can remove the can from the pump by removing the bolts on the back of the reservoir and prying off the can from the pump. There is only one o-ring sealing the pump to the reservoir so that would allow you to flush the reservoir without pulling trash into the pump.
Old 12-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
synner88tc

So here is another question after pouring through hours of threads looking for answers.

I see that the pitman arm is different on the 2WD steering boxes when comparing manual and power steering boxes but are the 4x4 pitman arms the same across?

LMC lists only one part number 34-2230 for 4x4. So is the pitman the same when using a manual or power steering box?