The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #1
68 P.O.S.

Re: Engine Blew, recommendations?

Or go for an LS swap https://www.motor1.com/news/377022/i...ls-v12-crate-e
Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #2
WorkinLonghorn

Thanks for all of the replies. I found a local guy who might be able to rebuild mine or at least help with the R+R but it looks dicey. If I need to get a crate I may just go with the one I linked to (GM performance base).

LockDoc, I looked on Ebay for Jegs and the only one I saw for my year truck got one star rating from the only 3 guys who reviewed it. Kinda discouraging. If you find the link for the ones you like please post it up. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEGS-7353-S...QAAOSwZV1cUbFr
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #3
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinLonghorn View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I found a local guy who might be able to rebuild mine or at least help with the R+R but it looks dicey. If I need to get a crate I may just go with the one I linked to (GM performance base).
Dicey in what way? If you don't trust the guy I would ask around for recommendations for someone you can trust.

I think you'll find you're going to spend as much money for a rebuild (maybe more) as you would for a crate engine. You'll get all new parts with a crate and a warranty as well.

I really like the L31 Vortec, but it would increase your costs, especially if you're paying someone to install it for you.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
matthew.mcmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
If you've got 55K laying around for that engine you're probably not worried about anything else.
matthew.mcmullin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
ManNamedJed

I've got the 'goodwrench' engine like the one you posted in my suburban. It gets the job done, but isn't a powerhouse. The HP rating they list on those is if its has headers and performance intake, carb, dist, ets - so if you bolt on old stock stuff you won't see that.

I added an edelbrock EPS intake, Summit 1102 cam, MSD ignition on mine and it woke it up a bit, but not much. Biggest thing that holds those engines back is the low compression heads. A vortec head crate engine would be a nice upgrade, but you'd need a different intake.

Here is an article where they build one up.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/463...e-engine-build

Last edited by ManNamedJed; 10-22-2019 at 06:06 PM.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
I've got the 'goodwrench' engine like the one you posted in my suburban. It gets the job done, but isn't a powerhouse. The HP rating they list on those is if its has headers and performance intake, carb, dist, ets - so if you bolt on old stock stuff you won't see that.

I added an edelbrock EPS intake, Summit 1102 cam, MSD ignitionon mine and it woke it up a bit, but not much. Biggest thing that holds those engines back is the low compression heads. A vortec head crate engine would be a nice upgrade, but you'd need a different intake.

That's really good to know ManNamedJed. Thank you.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManNamedJed View Post
<snip>...A vortec head crate engine would be a nice upgrade, but you'd need a different intake.

It's the 4th installment where they get down to the Vortec heads. Here's what they ended up with and it made 384hp(5700)/401tq(3600):

( They claim their porting was worth 13hp )

"GM Performance Parts’ iron Vortec heads that flow air like a wind tunnel. We achieved 384 hp by simply pocket-porting the heads and bolting them to our existing combination. As a quick overview, the engine is a stock bottom-end GM Goodwrench 350 supplied by Scoggin-Dickey with a Comp Cams 268 Xtreme Energy camshaft (224/230 degrees at 0.050-inch tappet lift and 0.477-/0.480-inch valve lift with 110-degree lobe separation angle), roller-tipped rockers, and the Vortec heads. The rest of the engine is outfitted with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, a Holley 750 double-pumper carburetor, Hooker 1-5/8-inch headers, and a pair of Hooker 2-¼-inch turbo mufflers. That’s it, except for the stock HEI distributor, MSD wires, and 92-octane pump gas."

Here's the article.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/463...gine-build-iv/

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote