The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
jamyers

Arrow Re: EFI Crew Check In - Experience

[QUOTE=Android04;8580641]I've been researching and strongly considering going with Holley Sniper EFI and was just wanting to get peoples experience. Share with all of the world here

Year: 1969
Make and Model: Chevy C10
Type of EFI: Holley Sniper
Engine: very mild 350
How long have you had it: 6 months
Experience: Ignition problems drove us crazy at first, but after sorting that out it's been positive overall - we've had to replace the IAC, but that was our fault (long story). The truck starts and runs better than we can ever remember, and the mileage is up from 10-11 to 11-14. We're still fine tuning the cold start and acceleration enrichment tables.

Things I've learned:

1. ANY weakness in the engine, especially the ignition, will be exposed, and magnified. Get ready to replace spark plugs, and make damn sure your exhaust has ZERO leaks ahead of the WBO2 sensor.
2. Wiring procedures are the single most important part of the install. Good clean power, lots of solid grounds, eliminating RFI/EMI, etc will save you a TON of problems.
3. "Self-Tuning" is an overpromise. But that's not limited to the Sniper, I don't care what system you use. For example YOU have to figure out the Target A/F Ratios at idle, cruise, WOT, and points in between that YOUR engine likes FIRST, then the system "learns" what it takes to get to them. Like any computer, it's garbage-in-garbage-out. Some systems may take more variables into account and have better initial setup tunes, and some engines (like a stock sbc) may have better info available regarding the Target settings, and some engines may run better/worse with less tinkering, but (IMHO) if you want your engine to run as best it can, you're going to have to climb the rather steep EFI learning curve, dig into the programming, and tweak it yourself.
With the Holley Sniper, their manuals are ok, but not great. But their online forums have a ton of good info available, I hear that their tech phone line is pretty good, and they seem to stand behind their products as least as well as anybody else. I've used their forums a LOT, and have learned a lot of helpful stuff - but then I'm kind of an info-geek that likes to dig deep into whatever project I'm working on at the time, so I don't mind.
4. Would I do it again? YES. We had some teething issues, but no more than with any other new technology.
jamyers is offline   Reply With Quote