The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #1
cebra

Daily Driver Classic Insurance

An interesting conversation popped in my thread about how I basically have a $35K vehicle that if stolen I get $600. If I hit someone and total it...$600. If someone without insurance hits me...yep. Now if someone with insurance hits me and totals it then I have a "stated value" of $35K my insurance company can go after. The real suck is that my truck is only worth $600 according to BV so small fender bender and it has a salvage title.

No classic car insurers I have spoken with will insure a classic vehicle that gets 20K miles per year minimum put on it and is not stored in a personal garage.

Stated value is almost useless but I have it as it is cheap. The last time I researched this extensively I came up with nothing. Does anyone that drives their vehicle have true comprehensive insurance?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Daily Driver Classic Insurance

Check out Progressive. its not their normal stuff.

Progressive Classic. I could give my agents name yet its in another state.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #3
Wobpb377

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebra View Post
An interesting conversation popped in my thread about how I basically have a $35K vehicle that if stolen I get $600. If I hit someone and total it...$600. If someone without insurance hits me...yep. Now if someone with insurance hits me and totals it then I have a "stated value" of $35K my insurance company can go after. The real suck is that my truck is only worth $600 according to BV so small fender bender and it has a salvage title.

No classic car insurers I have spoken with will insure a classic vehicle that gets 20K miles per year minimum put on it and is not stored in a personal garage.

Stated value is almost useless but I have it as it is cheap. The last time I researched this extensively I came up with nothing. Does anyone that drives their vehicle have true comprehensive insurance?
Great topic. I hope to see some good answers. I am in the same boat. I called Safeco as I heard they do but they do not cover cars in Hawaii
Wobpb377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #4
lil hoodlum

I have Geico on mine but it is for liability only. Mine is also a daily driver.
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 AM   #5
Ptjsk

In for information gathering.
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
ltdmstr

Progressive Classic = Hagerty = agreed value policy with strict usage limits. Definitely not for a daily driver.
ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

If you daily drive it to work your not going to get "agreed value" full coverage insurance .

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-ins...-insurance-101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDHZLR_15o

Best bet is with Hagerty

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...lity-vehicles/

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
cebra

I was turned down by Hagerty (who Progressive transferred me to) and Grundy as both have strict rules that I don't meet (mileage restriction, personal garage, commuting to work). I am not sure why Hagerty says they don't have mileage restrictions on the website but they definitely do.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Grumpy old man

Well... Wait until you retire

we get cheap rates on almost everything ! And free coffee at Denny's

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #10
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Well... Wait until you retire

we get cheap rates on almost everything ! And free coffee at Denny's
Heck, I need to go to Denny's

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Both of our vehicles, as well as our home, are insured by The Hartford. I looked into increased coverage for my truck a few months ago. My situation is much like the OP's.... I haul the occasional load of firewood, or take trash to the dump, or other short local errands. They more-or-less told me to pound sand. If it isn't garaged and only driven to car shows, they aren't interested.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdmstr View Post
Progressive Classic = Hagerty = agreed value policy with strict usage limits. Definitely not for a daily driver.
To my knowledge I do not have any restrictions on Progressive Classic. I have no stated value, and therefore it is just PIP minimum. I have a hand written policy with no electronic automatic payment bs.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #13
cebra

Per the Progressive Classic Insurance Website:

Only for occasional use: You can take your car out for pleasure driving and use it for exhibitions, tours, etc., but it can’t be your daily driver.
Must have adequate storage: Enclosed structures are preferred, such as a private garage or storage unit, but carports, driveways, and other storage areas may also qualify.
No serious driving infractions: In many states, you may not qualify for classic auto insurance if you’ve had excessive speeding violations, reckless driving, and other serious infractions in the last three years.
Must have an insured daily driver: All household members with a driver’s license need a regular-use vehicle, and you must also maintain a regular insurance policy for your primary car.

The mileage limit is 1K per month per the call I had with them. Add another issue to the list with this one, I do not have another vehicle. Grundy and regular Hagerty is less strict on that, I suspect for people that use public transit and still keep their car under 1K miles or whatever nominal mileage those other 2 allow.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
cebra

Related to this so I can protect myself, does anyone know a GPS tracker with a low monthly fee? The cheapest I have found are $20 and up which is like 50% of my insurance amount.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
LS short box

I don't know of any "classic" car insurance company that will insure a classic as your only daily driver. Don't know if this would work but talk to maybe State Farm and pay for some level of agreed value like it's regular car insurance. What do you figure your truck is worth?
Maybe you could get a beater and insure it for liability only it so it could be your daily driver and claim it as your primary vehicle.
The tuff thing is still going to be secured storage.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 PM   #16
tj1970cst

My dad had nationwide on a daily driven 68 camaro. That was 20 years ago. I do not know if their policies have changed since.

Lol, it was around 2000. Wow, 20 years ago.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:23 AM   #17
slikside

Subscribed
Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

I never expected a classic car policy that would cover me for regular everyday vehicle use. The problem I always ran into has been getting full normal everyday driving full coverage insurance on a classic vehicle. The insurance industry has created an insurance desert for daily driving any vehicle over a certain age. It used to be only five years old, but they do go farther back now. But not forty years.

I've had classic cars all my life, but haven't always had a garage. The cars sit all winter and only get driven for leisure during good weather. Yet all I could get was liability insurance. I've had nice older vehicles stolen from me and it's a total loss.

I'm not into sitting next to my vehicles at car shows, driving in parades, or even being in clubs. I just like old vehicles and enjoy driving them. I reserve the right to decide just how I go about enjoying them. If I want a '46 Chevy pickup for the occasional run into town for supplies or a country drive, how is that different (or worse) than driving it 125 miles to Ocean City to drive it on the boardwalk during cruise week? Or putting thousands of miles in it running the Power Tour? I'm exposing my truck to less risk with my use.

And for regular insurance they say they don't like to fully insure older vehicles because of worn out parts creating a greater risk factor. I told my agent my old truck is in better mechanical condition than all the 4 year old financed cars with 100k miles on them they are insuring. There is just too much BS with the insurance industry. It's time they get a good wringing out and start playing more fair.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-19-2020 at 07:12 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:17 AM   #19
AussieinNC

Seems to me a better route to go would be to grab yourself a true daily driver that you can get full comprehensive on.

You could then put that classic onto a Hagerty agreed value policy as it is no longer your sole driver vehicle.

Even if you paid $10 k for the new daily driver, it would be e better solution to the issue..>IMHO....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:44 PM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Good point ^. I should ask, is this your only vehicle? Because nothing else is an issue.

It doesn't help if you want to drive older vehicles... unless it's a beater. I have always preferred older vehicles. I have new reasons to feel that way now. I don't like owning a vehicle I can't fix myself and that's how I feel about anything considered newer or even newer-ish. When they are new they are great and reliable, but when they need fixed it's thousand dollar bills anymore. Not what I need once retired. I always figured I'd drive old stuff and keep them in good condition. But now you have to worry about theft, even if you're not exposed to much risk for accidents with so much less driving and mostly local.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-19-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
54blackhornet

One should remember this subject the next time you consider dropping big bucks into your baby ! Over the last decade I decided to limit my exposure in classic cars & trucks because of the ever increasing cost associated with them. Everything is getting ridiculous !
Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #22
rsavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Seems to me a better route to go would be to grab yourself a true daily driver that you can get full comprehensive on.

You could then put that classic onto a Hagerty agreed value policy as it is no longer your sole driver vehicle.

Even if you paid $10 k for the new daily driver, it would be e better solution to the issue..>IMHO....

That might be a way to get more coverage on the "classic", but if being driven as a daily in violation of the limitations in the policy, any insurance company would look closely at whether they would cover a loss. Another thing many of the classic car insurers do is charge you more for your classic insurance if you have two drivers (me and my wife for example) and only one regular non classic vehicle.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

I keep regular insurance on one and classic on the other. I just drive my '72 and don't worry about it. I have no mileage restriction. They have no idea when, where, or how often I use the truck. Garaged? Just say it's garage kept. If something happens at home don't report it. I'd rather have the good insurance in all other circumstances and only risk some freak incident on my property while parked. I don't see it as dishonest. More like countering theirs. Buildings can come down on a vehicle and cause more damage than if it was sitting outside. I've seen garages burn down with several classics destroyed inside.

I think they only give a policy if you have a regularly insured vehicle as well. So if you only have the one, that is the problem. You have to look at the purpose of these classic policies even being offered. It's not a deep discount with extra benefits program. It's a special policy for a special vehicle that is cheaper because the vehicle is a special interest vehicle that is still driven, but much less than normal and not in normal situations daily drivers are

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-19-2020 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Daily Driver Classic Insurance

I don't think any classic insurance company will insure you to daily drive it. That being said Hagerty's is a rip off. I wouldn't insure nothing with them.

My son got a speeding ticket 1 year after I got Hagerty's insurance. He didn't live at home but had never changed his drivers license to his home. They cancelled me said he was high risk. I even called and told them all this but they said it didn't matter. BS

Try these people and see.

American Collectors Insurance I have all 3 of mine with them and they beat Grundy, Hagerty by over $300.00

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #25
diesel burner

My insurance is through State Farm on all of my vehicles. I ask my agent about putting a stated value policy on my daily driven 71 K20. I put it's value around $10,000 and he told me I would be screwing myself. He showed me the NADA book value of my pickup, which shows it between $12-15,000 for an average condition pickup. Could be as high as $35,000 for a excellent condition pickup. He convinced me that the book value on these pickups is continually going up and I have no worries about driving it. I pay $26 a month for full coverage.
I have personal experience with Progressive and I would rather go to the dentist or proctologist than deal with those thieves.
My daughter had a 99 Honda civic insured through State Farm, when she hit a deer and totaled it, they gave her more than kelly blue book valued the car at.
06 GMC sierra 2500 extended cab duramax,allison
05 Toyota Corolla (commuter)
18 Chevy Tahoe RST (wifes car)
08 HD Roadglide
diesel burner is offline   Reply With Quote