The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #926
rustytruck50

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Looks great, Ken!! Really like the Bowtie on the GMC grille...cant explain why...probably because I haven't seen it done before! That grille is a bit of a unicorn. I hadn't seen one in a long time before you posted. Then, right after, a guy on Marketplace had one....funny how that works. Btw...glad to see you didn't let that silly little eye issue slow you down
Seriously, glad to hear you're doing better!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:41 PM   #927
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
The surgery was a bit uncomfortable, but the recovery was a test in my patience. Haveing to remain face down for such an extended period was no easy task.
Wow! Glad the surgery was successful. I must ask though.... How the heck did you remain face down for the extended period & what caused the 'detachment'?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #928
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustytruck50 View Post
Looks great, Ken!! Really like the Bowtie on the GMC grille...cant explain why...probably because I haven't seen it done before! That grille is a bit of a unicorn. I hadn't seen one in a long time before you posted. Then, right after, a guy on Marketplace had one....funny how that works. Btw...glad to see you didn't let that silly little eye issue slow you down
Seriously, glad to hear you're doing better!
Thank you sir. I won't say that I'm the first to do a bowtie in a GMC grill. I can say that its not common. Now that Key Parts is reproducing the 73-74 Chevrolet grill, that has become a very popular conversion. I decided to do it with a twist.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #929
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Wow! Glad the surgery was successful. I must ask though.... How the heck did you remain face down for the extended period & what caused the 'detachment'?
Surprisingly, its not painful so I have no idea when it acually started. From my research, I didnt have to "do" anything to have a detached retina. It is actually quite common in males, with near sited vision, over the age of 60.

How do you lay face down? Not comfortably, I assure you. I rented a masseuse style chair but it didn't work that well. Instead I sat in an arm chair and stacked pillows on my lap. I layed face down with a horse shoe shaped cushion to support my face.

I sucked it up for a week and was fortunate the doctor released my to be upright the following week.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 01-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #930
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Ken, sorry to hear about the eye emergency. Very glad that it went well. I understand the sleeping discomfort. A few years ago I hurt 2 disks in my neck & the doctor had me sleep flat on my back on a "firm" surface IE: floor. aarrggg. I think we can let you take a few days off from the build updates.....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:31 PM   #931
Factory Guy

I like it!
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #932
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Its been a while so lets get this up to date. i got Jake home from the bodyshop. Aaron allowed some of his helpers to spray the Tamco 2k while he was busy putting out fires on his day job. After two attempts, time and materials ran out so i picked it up. Its not as nice as the last time it was sprayed but it will be blocked a couple more times before the final color goes on.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #933
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Chris worked on wiring the United Pacific LED lights while I pulled the front bumper, grill, etc apart. I wanted to update the lighting system without straying to far from the vintage look. I think I found a good compromise.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-08-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #934
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The headlights are full LED with a a white halo for daytime running lights. The white halo changes to orange when the blinker is turned on. United Pacific doesn't offer complete park light assemblies so we used a LIX Lights inside Brothers Truck Parts housings with new lenses.

Heres the finshed product on my Instagram feed LINK

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #935
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

After Christian got the front lights working he moved inside the cab. While I focused on the rear suspension, he laid out the Vibro Solutions acoustical dampener. He lined the perimeter of the roof skin with 2 mm sound deadner. He ran another strip down the middle of the cab.
He topped that with a strip of 7 mm acoustical dampener above the seating area on each side of the roof.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-10-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #936
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The 7 mm material is a combination of 2 mm butyl resonance dampener combined with 5mm acoustic absorbing material. This same material is used in new cars to reduce interior noise.

Heres a short video showing the results. LINK
Attached Images

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-09-2020, 02:00 AM   #937
SCOTI

Quote:
The 7 mm material is a combination of 2 mm butyl resonance dampener combined with 5mm acoustic absorbing material. This same material is used in new cars to reduce interior noise.

Heres a short video showing the results. LINK
I'm going to check the info out & might try it. The stuff I used on the dually worked well but it was a PITA.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-09-2020, 11:42 PM   #938
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
I'm going to check the info out & might try it. The stuff I used on the dually worked well but it was a PITA.
Scoti when we finished the install you could literally hear the cab was quieter.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-10-2020, 12:28 AM   #939
moregrip

the newer sound deadening products in black look alot better than the old aluminum stuff! Nice work!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #940
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti when we finished the install you could literally hear the cab was quieter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip
the newer sound deadening products in black look alot better than the old aluminum stuff! Nice work!
The products I used did as well. The big-block, 1 3/4" full length headers, & 3" exhaust is barely notable w/the doors shut. But, I would prefer something that's possibly easier to work with as the stuff I used was a PITA once everything was piled on top of each other.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-10-2020, 02:48 PM   #941
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
The products I used did as well. The big-block, 1 3/4" full length headers, & 3" exhaust is barely notable w/the doors shut. But, I would prefer something that's possibly easier to work with as the stuff I used was a PITA once everything was piled on top of each other.
The 2 mm is very pliable. It is indented with small square in a grid pattern to make it very flexible.

The 7 mm is a bit harder to work with. Its a 5 mm high density "felt" type material that is layered on 2 mm butyl. We used a small roller and the side of a spray paint can to conform it to the curves.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #942
SCOTI

Quote:
The 2 mm is very pliable. It is indented with small square in a grid pattern to make it very flexible.

The 7 mm is a bit harder to work with. Its a 5 mm high density "felt" type material that is layered on 2 mm butyl. We used a small roller and the side of a spray paint can to conform it to the curves.
That sounds like the difference between our installs. Mine has the vibration isolation material; then dense, close cell foam for sound isolation, & then that's topped w/a MLV sheeting/noise barrier. Once the carpet was added (that still had jute padding in some areas) it was a handful to get things in place. Seat bracket holes, console mounting, door sill trim, air-line routing, seatbelt mounts etc.... I know you know how that all plays out.

I haven't purchased the materials beyond the vibration isolation/butyl pads leftover from the Dually (I ordered enough for two builds @ the time). So I'm prob going to give the stuff a try on the 64.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #943
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
That sounds like the difference between our installs. Mine has the vibration isolation material; then dense, close cell foam for sound isolation, & then that's topped w/a MLV sheeting/noise barrier.....
Thats close to what I will have on the floor. I plan to use 2 mm butyl along the outer edge where the rockers reduce resonance. In the middle of the floor pan where resonance and heat transfer is a concern, I will go with 5 mm butyl. All of this will be topped with Vibro 6 mm high density foam.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #944
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Looks good Ken. Looks like my progress on Henry has need non-existent for the last few weeks, as the weather has not cooperated with us here in East Texas. Without a shop or garage, it is hard to get anything done in the rain. I hope to catch up with y'all next weekend!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #945
zden

Went to LST last Saturday. My wife asked me "how many times are we gonna pass this same truck" hahaha. Jake looked just as good in person. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #946
TKCR

Hey Ken,
What would you suggest using to cover all the openings on the doors, before putting the panel back on? I looked that stuff up, that you used on Scarlet, but can’t get it here in the US anymore.
Attached Images

Last edited by TKCR; 02-27-2020 at 02:52 PM.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #947
TKCR

Nevermind Ken, I went back thru your post on Scarlet. I must have passed over where you used this also.. This is what I’ll use! I hope I can make it look as nice as yours, lol.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 AM   #948
LT7A

Hey Ken, I hope you and your family are doing well during this covid business. Checking to see if you guys have gotten some time in on this rig. I always enjoy watching the process. I probably have more notes on various products from your builds than any others. Hope you can make time to catch us up.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #949
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Hey Ken, I hope you and your family are doing well during this covid business. Checking to see if you guys have gotten some time in on this rig. I always enjoy watching the process. I probably have more notes on various products from your builds than any others. Hope you can make time to catch us up.
Unfortunatly this pandemic fiasco has not been kind to me or my company. I have essentially been with zero income for about 10 weeks now. Consequently I have shifted gears and gone in to hustle mode.

What that means is I cant justify spending time or money on anything that doesnt net a return on my effort and investment. I have been buying late model trucks to detail and sell. Its not something I necessarily enjoy doing, but it keeps me busy during a time when I cant do much else.

My hopes are this will pass soon and I can get back to working on Jake.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 06-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #950
LT7A

Sorry to hear it and I certainly understand the situation. I'm lucky to be in a spot where my trucks need more elbow grease than anything else, haha. Helping me keep from going too crazy. The numbers with the virus seem to be going in the right direction in a lot of places so hopefully you'll be back up and running soon. In the meantime, if you have any interest in starting a thread with your late model spiff-ups, I'd be interested to watch the parade.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote