The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #4226
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
its been a while since I fired up the tig welder and it showed. I finally got a decent weld. I'm becoming an excellent grinder.
Haha!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #4227
Chris(NJ)

I had some extra Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro leftover from my Tacoma, so I stuck a few of the remaining sheets on the floorboard. I'll stuff a couple in the doors to use up the remainder.
Attached Images

Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:39 AM   #4228
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I wonder if it will gradually shift into position with the heat of summer and some driving?
If it's under stress now and doesn't break it will eventually conform to the shape. Glass is not a solid.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #4229
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I wonder if it will gradually shift into position with the heat of summer and some driving?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
If it's under stress now and doesn't break it will eventually conform to the shape. Glass is not a solid.
Here's a picture. It's 3X better than it was, but this was the best I could get it.

Good points. Thanks guys. Now I have a decision to make. If I try to glue it now, there's nothing in the interior to mess up (carpets, consoles, headliner etc.). I think I'm going to try to glue the edge down and clamp it. If it looks like it's going to straighten itself up during the summer I can always take the glue out with solvent. I didn't want to take a small pie cut out of the lip but it really calmed it down. Before that it looked like an elephant ear.
Attached Images

Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:15 PM   #4230
62 Barnfind

Updated my to do list for the bed. In no particular order.
Attached Images

My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:11 AM   #4231
MARTINSR

Nothing exciting, no photos. But I got my running board apron I have been working on about finished up. Got some cracks welded. First time I have fired up my torch since I moved. Got a little shrinking and stretching done (don't you always go to far and have to go backwards? LOL) and will get it finished up tomorrow I think.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #4232
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Here's a picture. It's 3X better than it was, but this was the best I could get it.
Before you glue it, get a plastic tool like this and pull the rubber away from the glass and spray liberally with window cleaner. Work the tool up and down along the glass, pressing against the rubber. You might have to do it inside and outside, but the pucker should be able to be worked out.
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #4233
MARTINSR

I made these tools out of screwdrivers and ball bearings, worked damn good to get that rubber nice.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/win...ls-360386.html

Brian

Old 02-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #4234
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Before you glue it, get a plastic tool like this and pull the rubber away from the glass and spray liberally with window cleaner. Work the tool up and down along the glass, pressing against the rubber. You might have to do it inside and outside, but the pucker should be able to be worked out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I made these tools out of screwdrivers and ball bearings, worked damn good to get that rubber nice.
Brian
Thanks, guys. I did all that. Have good tools, and I had the glass so soaped up I could pull on the inside and see the outside move. The problem is, the glass is too large and it bottoms out before it can be slid to the driver's side far enough.

This is a weird situation. We put this glass in another truck in 15 minutes, perfectly. Something bad happened to my truck in its life even though there was no apparent damage on the roof. Maybe got smacked hard in the side and bent the upper "A" pillars? Who knows. We have already ground about 3/16" off the upper corners of the glass just to get it to go in at all. A little more would probably do it, but we've made 5 runs at it, and I'm tired of it.

The gluing is going very well, and it could be unglued if necessary. I think it's going to be OK.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #4235
MARTINSR

I got my right running board apron fit and basically finished. I need to drill out some holes so the bolts will go through but it's looking good!

Brian
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #4236
idbeast

Quote:

Good points. Thanks guys. Now I have a decision to make. If I try to glue it now, there's nothing in the interior to mess up (carpets, consoles, headliner etc.). I think I'm going to try to glue the edge down and clamp it. If it looks like it's going to straighten itself up during the summer I can always take the glue out with solvent. I didn't want to take a small pie cut out of the lip but it really calmed it down. Before that it looked like an elephant ear.
Following...
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 PM   #4237
joedoh

Quote:
Thanks, guys. I did all that. Have good tools, and I had the glass so soaped up I could pull on the inside and see the outside move. The problem is, the glass is too large and it bottoms out before it can be slid to the driver's side far enough.

This is a weird situation. We put this glass in another truck in 15 minutes, perfectly. Something bad happened to my truck in its life even though there was no apparent damage on the roof. Maybe got smacked hard in the side and bent the upper "A" pillars? Who knows. We have already ground about 3/16" off the upper corners of the glass just to get it to go in at all. A little more would probably do it, but we've made 5 runs at it, and I'm tired of it.

The gluing is going very well, and it could be unglued if necessary. I think it's going to be OK.

its the gasket, I had the same thing happen on a truck with the elephant ear in one corner and working around the gasket with the plastic tool made it a lot better. that problem hasnt happened again yet. although the last gasket was so stiff I broke an original windshield half.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:49 PM   #4238
mick53

I finished polishing my brake and clutch parts. These parts are going to slip right through the air. It takes a long time to polish this stuff and most people don't care. Although labor intensive polishing doesn't cost much to do. I would say anyone can afford to do it. I don't have any super cool polishing tools. I use a dremel, die grinder and buffer/grinder machine. I have found that 90% of the work is by hand anyway. Unless just removing material I stay away from the little D/A type die grinder because for some reason the little swirl marks are very hard to get out. At some point you are always polishing scratches so the level is up to you. I have also learned that there is a big difference between shinny and flat and shinny. Thank you for your time. Also "chicks dig it" so there's that.
Attached Images

Last edited by mick53; 02-29-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #4239
evilokc

I fixed the long standing headlight issue. I put a power light on the headlight switch and had no power. put the power light in the fuse panel socket for the headlights and I did have power. tested the fuse and it was good. made a jumper to double check still nothing. started tracing wires and the idiot i paid to wire the truck needs his ass kicked. after sorting through the spider webs of death he call routed wires i found the issue. he didn't wire the headlights into the fuse panel socket labeled for the headlights. the headlights are in an unlabeled socked for extra accessories. turned out to be a fuse. easy to correct once i knew it wasn't the headlight fuse. this is why i don't pay anyone to work on my stuff anymore. im not a great mechanic but i care. i do things as correctly as i can.
i have the inner fender painted and ready to go on and i am prepping the outer fender tonight. hoping to start installation tomorrow. for the moment the hotrod gods are smiling on me.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:31 PM   #4240
evilokc

Quote:
I finished polishing my brake and clutch parts. These parts are going to slip right through the air. It takes a long time to polish this stuff and most people don't care. Although labor intensive polishing doesn't cost much to do. I would say anyone can afford to do it. I don't have any super cool polishing tools. I use a dremel, die grinder and buffer/grinder machine. I have found that 90% of the work is by hand anyway. Unless just removing material I stay away from the little D/A type die grinder because for some reason the little swirl marks are very hard to get out. At some point you are always polishing scratches so the level is up to you. I have also learned that there is a big difference between shinny and flat and shinny. Thank you for your time. Also "chicks dig it" so there's that.

looks really nice. good work
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 AM   #4241
idbeast

I got the Beast running again, I'll take it for a drive in the morning to see how far I make it! I do have a backup plan in effect... one of my friends with a car trailer will come get me if it dies!!!

Jim W
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:38 PM   #4242
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
this is why i don't pay anyone to work on my stuff anymore. im not a great mechanic but i care. i do things as correctly as i can.
When someone else works on my projects, I typically have twice as much work UNDOING what they did and REDOING it right.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:35 PM   #4243
MARTINSR

Not exciting but I have to prove I am actually spending time on my truck or I will get beat up. I got the running board and apron finished up tonight, onto the next fine tuning, the passenger door.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2020, 11:36 PM   #4244
MARTINSR

Got my five minutes in on the truck. Did a little studying of the door fit on the right side. Pulled the door, tomorrow I will open the holes up a tat on the upper hinge and put the door back on to fit it better than it was.

Brian

Old 03-03-2020, 05:25 AM   #4245
DransportGarage

Building the kick panels and dash skirt.

The console and door panels are done at the upholsterer's. I'll be picking them up today.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #4246
mick53

Time to do something different and polish engine parts and paint the fins. I like these little fluted bits for removing a lot of material in the nooks and crannies.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2020, 12:19 AM   #4247
MARTINSR

Quote:
Building the kick panels and dash skirt.

The console and door panels are done at the upholsterer's. I'll be picking them up today.
Interesting!

Brian

Old 03-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #4248
MARTINSR

Quote:
Time to do something different and polish engine parts and paint the fins. I like these little fluted bits for removing a lot of material in the nooks and crannies.
I am digging those pieces! It's a 292?

Brian

Old 03-04-2020, 12:45 AM   #4249
MARTINSR

I got the holes opened up in the hinge and got the door on and found that the door is hitting the A pillar, crap! I need to take the door back off and do a little massaging to the pillar and door to get a little clearance.

Brian

Old 03-04-2020, 01:33 AM   #4250
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am digging those pieces! It's a 292?

Brian
Yes 292 with 4-71 blower and 3 Roch 2 bbl.