The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
LT7A

Re: A '54 named Busty - Setting The Engine Pinion Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
so picked up one of these protractor gauges and checking what I guess may be called engine pinion angle, for years I relied on my eyecrometer for engine placement and my trusty butt-o-meter for driveline wobble, but trying to graduate to the next level, so any insight is appreciated, the first page i Googled said 3° on the enjin so shooting for that
Just checking. I'm not familiar with that device. Does it give you a measurement relative to the truck, or is it degrees off of level, so you need to take vehicle rake and slope of your garage slab into account?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty - Setting The Engine Pinion Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Just checking. I'm not familiar with that device. Does it give you a measurement relative to the truck, or is it degrees off of level, so you need to take vehicle rake and slope of your garage slab into account?
the latter and I know my garage slopes forward (as evident by a pile of sockets in the two front corners of the garage at the end of each project, ha ha) however when I set that dial gauge on my garage floor the rise over run was negligible so I called that a zero and shot for 3° of engine slope downess towards the rudder
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote