The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
old51sedan

Question 200-4R transmission

I was just over on the engine/transmission forum and received no answer over there, so I thought I would try here. Just installed a 200-4R behind my 292. I have the TV cable installed, but now I have a single wire coming out of the drivers side of the trans and I'm wanting to know my options (if any) as to where to hook it up.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
ctandc

Re: 200-4R transmission

It's for your torque converter lock up. You also opt to drop the pan and rewire it so it locks in 4th gear only and you don't need to add any wiring.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #3
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctandc View Post
It's for your torque converter lock up. You also opt to drop the pan and rewire it so it locks in 4th gear only and you don't need to add any wiring.
Hmmm... never knew of this option, can you elaborate a little so we can all learn something. I have a 200R4 waiting in the wings for my 40 Ford Coupe.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
tdangle

Basically you thru the wire coming in the side of the trans give it +12V, it goes to one side of the lockup solenoid, the other side of the solenoid to a normally open pressure switch that when the trans goes into 4th it grounds the connection energizing the lockup solenoid. You probably should at the minimum run the 12 volt + line thru a brake light switch so if you slam on the brakes in 4th the TQ will unlock. You can get a brake light switch with 2 sets of contacts (made for cruise control) that replaces the stock stop light switch. Here google is your friend. Do some searches on lockup torque converters for 2004r and you will find all the information you need. Pretty simple mods. On mine, I also included a vacuum switch and a electronic delay to delay the engagement for 8-10 seconds and disconnect the lockup when the vacuum drops below a certain adjustable value.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Sheepdip

Well I must have misunderstood in your post to believe no 12 volts required. I am familiar with a few options to engage and disengage the lock up converter all requiring 12 volts.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
tdangle

I have heard something about mods that make the lockup all hydraulic, not familiar with it and would think that if you have a wire coming out of the trans, it's not setup fully hydraulic lockup.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
Basically you thru the wire coming in the side of the trans give it +12V, it goes to one side of the lockup solenoid, the other side of the solenoid to a normally open pressure switch that when the trans goes into 4th it grounds the connection energizing the lockup solenoid. You probably should at the minimum run the 12 volt + line thru a brake light switch so if you slam on the brakes in 4th the TQ will unlock. You can get a brake light switch with 2 sets of contacts (made for cruise control) that replaces the stock stop light switch. Here google is your friend. Do some searches on lockup torque converters for 2004r and you will find all the information you need. Pretty simple mods. On mine, I also included a vacuum switch and a electronic delay to delay the engagement for 8-10 seconds and disconnect the lockup when the vacuum drops below a certain adjustable value.
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm thinking about connecting it to the brake light switch on the cruise control side. I just replaced that switch last year, now have to get a new one for cruise, there not that expensive. I've heard a few stories about the overdrive kicking right back in again. How did they wire these from the factory, anyone know.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm thinking about connecting it to the brake light switch on the cruise control side. I just replaced that switch last year, now have to get a new one for cruise, there not that expensive. I've heard a few stories about the overdrive kicking right back in again. How did they wire these from the factory, anyone know.
Can't comment on factory configuration but my research is as follows:

There is an external plugged hydraulic port towards the rear of the transmission on the right or passenger side which only pressurizes when it shifts into 4th or OD. Several suppliers sell a very affordable ready made kit or you can make your own with some wire and a very common hydraulic stop light switch.

In a nutshell you plumb the stop light switch to the external 4th gear port, you supply 12 volts to one stud of the stop light switch, the other side/stud attaches to the opposite left side of the trans where the factory solenoid wiring is located.

When trans shifts into 4th gear it shoots the 12 volts to the internal solenoid which opens the internal hydraulic port which pressurizes and engages the lock up converter, when the trans downshifts out of 4th you lose the pressure on the brake switch which in turn disconnects the 12 volt signal and unlocks the converter.

I'm no expert and have not installed mine yet, but this seems to be the simplest for my application.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
jayoldschool

The wiring and relay needed from BowTieOverdrives:

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...AT&CATID=OA2A1

You can, of course, DIY cheaper.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
old51sedan

Thanks guys, it sounds like I don't need a new brake light switch for cruise control, but can connect it all to my current brake light switch. I had talked to Chevy Bowties about the TV cable hookup, but they couldn't help me because of the fact the truck has a 6 cyclinder. Hadn't thought to talk with them in regards to this.