The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
sammywells

newer seats

Anyone ever use seats from a chevy colorado in a c10
sammywells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
Peanut74

Re: newer seats

Following as I am getting close to deciding on seats. Surprised you haven't gotten any feedback yet.

From what I have been able to find out everyone seems to prefer Silverado seats. Currently leaning toward a 40/20/40 front seat out of a Silverado. What I like most is that they have integrated seat belts.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
D'Monsta

What years do we look for in the Silverado seats?
D'Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
manuelv72

The usual are the 88-98 Silverado seats. I personally have 96 Silverado bench in mine.
manuelv72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:14 AM   #5
kev2809
low n' slo

the 99-06 are nice too

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: newer seats

I have the 99 Tahoe 6 way electric with heaters and love them. I also have a 90's bench seat in the Ramp truck with arm rest. It's a nice fit for these trucks as well.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
67C10Step

This was the only change someone had done in my truck before I got it. Well, besides the step side bed but it was 68-72 so period correct.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #8
Peanut74

I got a couple questions for the people with Silverado seats:

1> What modifications did you make to either the seat or floor pan to make it work?

2> What did you pay for you seat? Just trying to get an idea on how much I should set aside for it.
2012 Jeep JKU "Crush"
1976 Chevy short bed with a 327 and 3 on the tree (Sold it to buy the Blazer)
1971 Chevy Blazer (Sold it)
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut74 View Post
I got a couple questions for the people with Silverado seats:

1> What modifications did you make to either the seat or floor pan to make it work?

2> What did you pay for you seat? Just trying to get an idea on how much I should set aside for it.
on my 99-06 seats, for the bolt holes i just lined it up where it was comfortable and drilled new holes and put new bolts. the tricky part was when u slide it back, the track was hitting a hump in my floor. i notched it out for clearance. if u dont want to cut ur floor, then u need to make spacers or risers

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 12-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: newer seats

My 71 C-10:
99 Tahoe 6 way electric seats with heat. I gave $65.00 for both seats at the local LKQ yard in Greenville sc. The heaters are nice on chilly mornings!
As far as mounting them I used big, thick flat washers under the cab. I also used the 99 Tahoe seat belts.

The Ramp truck:
I paid $150.00 for the seat & belts.
90's bench seat with arm rest and head rest. I loosened up the frame bolts and lined the seat up with the front factory seat holes. I then marked the rear holes and drilled. I also used the big flat washers under the truck. I then put a 1/2" lugnut under the back frame so the seat sat level. Tightened up all the bolts. I also used the seat belts out of the same model truck.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
StingRay

So like a broken record every time this topic comes up I will chime in with 67-72 Trucks actually require a reinforced floor to use stock 69-72 bucket seats. GM in their wisdom knew that the regular bench seat floor would not suffice. Now move on to modern seats that have integrated belts. In a forward collision you pull forward with the shoulder belt from the top of the seat turning it into a big lever pushing down through the front seat mounts to force the front through the floor and you and your passengers into the steering wheel and dash. So the floor isn't strong enough for stock buckets where all of the seat belt loads go into the body behind and above you. Now you want to induce all of the seat and belt loads into the seat mounting points you have improvised into the floor? Another good possibility is in a roll over just ripping the seat with you in it out of the improvised floor mounting so you can be beaten into a pulp inside the cab. I actually design and oversee seat/seat belt mounting and destructive testing for it in RV's. I could actually come up with something that is safe....... and I wouldn't do it even for myself. Use the factory mounting points for seat belts that work. Mount your seats to proper reinforced mounts. It is not as simple as drilling new holes and bolting through the tin.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
MacataQ

StingRay
great input on this topic, havent got this far on my build yet, but i will add that
to a folder i have on seat & interior options. is your truck outfitted with stock or non-stock seats. also buckets or bench?
thanx again for info
Mac
MacataQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
StingRay

67-68 Buddy buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacataQ View Post
StingRay
great input on this topic, havent got this far on my build yet, but i will add that
to a folder i have on seat & interior options. is your truck outfitted with stock or non-stock seats. also buckets or bench?
thanx again for info
Mac
Old 12-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #14
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
So like a broken record every time this topic comes up I will chime in with 67-72 Trucks actually require a reinforced floor to use stock 69-72 bucket seats. GM in their wisdom knew that the regular bench seat floor would not suffice. Now move on to modern seats that have integrated belts. In a forward collision you pull forward with the shoulder belt from the top of the seat turning it into a big lever pushing down through the front seat mounts to force the front through the floor and you and your passengers into the steering wheel and dash. So the floor isn't strong enough for stock buckets where all of the seat belt loads go into the body behind and above you. Now you want to induce all of the seat and belt loads into the seat mounting points you have improvised into the floor? Another good possibility is in a roll over just ripping the seat with you in it out of the improvised floor mounting so you can be beaten into a pulp inside the cab. I actually design and oversee seat/seat belt mounting and destructive testing for it in RV's. I could actually come up with something that is safe....... and I wouldn't do it even for myself. Use the factory mounting points for seat belts that work. Mount your seats to proper reinforced mounts. It is not as simple as drilling new holes and bolting through the tin.
then weld some c channel to the floor where the new hole is? thats what the factory did if i remember right, been a while since i looked under my truck and havent driven it far after the seat swap.

im curious though, how hard of a collision would it take to pull a seat floor out that isnt reinforced?

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 12-17-2020, 03:54 PM   #15
kev2809
low n' slo

also OP.. this thread might help

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=99-06+seat

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
Old 12-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #16
StingRay

A little more complex a piece than a simple channel. Reinforcements are in multiple locations. Force required will depend on multiple factors. Condition of the floor, direction of load and how it's fastened. The weight of the seat has a lot of bearing on how big a hit it would take. If you are thinking integrated belt seats it'd take significant reinforcements to keep the seat and you attached to the cab in a position conducive to your good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
then weld some c channel to the floor where the new hole is? thats what the factory did if i remember right, been a while since i looked under my truck and havent driven it far after the seat swap.

im curious though, how hard of a collision would it take to pull a seat floor out that isnt reinforced?