The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Mudder

exhaust fumes

O.k After putting the Blazer tank on several years ago I have had problems with very hot air coming up between the cab and bed. My mufflers dump about 15 inches back from the cab. I can smell the exhaust in the cab. Changing the back window helped a lot with the better gaskets. Today I am putting the Flowmasters back on ( that I don't really like) becasue they have turn downs on them. Gonna see if that helps. If not I may tak a piece of aluminum and bend it and attach to the back bottom of the cab to see if I can disrupt the air flow. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas??????
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Dean

You may not want to do this, but what about actual tailpipes? I haven't had this problem with either of my K20s. One has Borlas and other has another brand stainless mufflers with tailpipes.

I guess the airflow traveling over you cab and down is drawing the exhaust up from behind your cab. I'm thinking you need to get the outlet further back? Maybe you could slip some longer pipes on the back of the mufflers and test it?

Love the truck by the way!
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Mudder

the turn downs helped. just went and got it back. no fumes but it is still warm back there. gonna get some flow pros next week (3") and a crossover put on (i hate these flowmasters). also gonna block the space between the cab and bed with a piece of aluminum with maybe a 45 degree bend to deflect/ block the air coming up from underneath. we'll figure it out.

Last edited by Mudder; 07-13-2004 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Dean

Just for the record I hate my Borlas also. Reason why I didn't use them on my green K20 I just did. Those Borlas resonated so bad it was unbearable. I had to put additional glass packs in the tail pipes just to drive it long distances.

The green one is much better with the set up I used on it. More of a stock setup though all stainless.

Let us know how it works out.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Mudder

thanks Dean....