The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
MikeandCheryl

Re: 72 K10 Manual to Automatic Conversion

Well, to be fair, driveline rebuilding really means checking the entire package over for damages and ensuring things are not too far gone in the wear and tear direction. So far, I'd say the clutch is burnt and done, the input coupling for the Transfer Case has seriously mashed teeth (the 10 spline), ditto for the SM465 output shaft. I have the front and rear diffs out, but not yet opened for inspection. Brakes, rotors, all probably in the same condition as everything else I've pulled off the truck - beat. So new is in order.
But an LS swap? That's a bigger job than this one that I'm already over my head with. But I've done some reading on this forum and it's doable - maybe even a better way to go. At least the gear in the truck won't be 50 years old.
In the end, rebuilding an old truck is really a test to your credit card limits.
(News flash: I did find a TH350 and a NP Transfer case locally, condition unknown, however the case is a 203, and not a 205, so another study session in what fits what is needed. Not sure their driveline measurements are exact enough.)
Thanks for the input - this forum is certainly excellent for information.

Last edited by MikeandCheryl; 06-26-2022 at 11:03 AM.
MikeandCheryl is offline   Reply With Quote