The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #1
65chevysub

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Have a question for you. My seat slider on the right side doesn't lock in place. It constantly moves, and someone recommended tightening the wire between the sliders. How would I do that? The sliders are oiled, so there's no binding, and they don't look damaged in any way.
Thanks
My truck is an 84 Sierra 2500, stock bench seat
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #2
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65chevysub View Post
Have a question for you. My seat slider on the right side doesn't lock in place. It constantly moves, and someone recommended tightening the wire between the sliders. How would I do that? The sliders are oiled, so there's no binding, and they don't look damaged in any way.
Thanks
My truck is an 84 Sierra 2500, stock bench seat
Your probably missing the little spring on the back of the tracks. They are circled in red.
Now the wire between the 2 tracks, you don’t want to tighten that up. All that will do is keep the locks in the open position. All the wire does is pull the locks open to slide the seat when you pull the seat adjuster handle. It does need to be fastened to the frame in one spot to take up the slack. That’s the second photo.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
bennylava

Recommendation on a good place to buy new seat belts?
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Recommendation on a good place to buy new seat belts?
This is the is the Benchseat thread. I do have a Seatbelt thread, but I’ll answer this. If your looking for new belts, those would be aftermarket belts, but I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They are ugly and don’t work very well. You have said numerous times that you can’t afford a new cover, so new seatbelts are going to be more than what a new cover costs.
If you have your original belts, I can restore them, that is what my Seatbelt thread is all about. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
bennylava

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
This is the is the Benchseat thread. I do have a Seatbelt thread, but I’ll answer this. If your looking for new belts, those would be aftermarket belts, but I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They are ugly and don’t work very well. You have said numerous times that you can’t afford a new cover, so new seatbelts are going to be more than what a new cover costs.
If you have your original belts, I can restore them, that is what my Seatbelt thread is all about. If you haven’t seen it yet, check it out.
Well, I can't afford it when it's so simple and easy to restore a bench seat lol

Seat belts are another matter. Not something you want to trust to just anyone. With the hit and miss quality of LMC, it's probably better to just have oem restored or go with someone with a reputation for high quality.
bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:08 AM   #6
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
Well, I can't afford it when it's so simple and easy to restore a bench seat lol

Seat belts are another matter. Not something you want to trust to just anyone. With the hit and miss quality of LMC, it's probably better to just have oem restored or go with someone with a reputation for high quality.
I suppose it is easy for some people, but for others it isn’t. But there is always what one would call “restoring” a seat, and wether it’s done right or not. Most upholstery shops throw a new cover on a seat and say that’s a restored seat, lol. I say it’s restoring and repairing the entire frame, tracks and hardware is what a true restoration is. Not everyone will even see some of the stuff I find on a seat frame, much less have to ability to repair them. Here are just some of the things I find on the seat frames that need attention, that 99% of the people don’t even see.

Seatbelts, I haven’t found an aftermarket place that has good working seatbelts yet. Sure they are new, but if they don’t function well, then why waste the money.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2023, 03:39 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Need some advice . I’m doing my seat in my 68 and the foam is perfect but the new cover is loose and if I try to stretch it the pleat fold under the seat seems to need more padding . Looking at high density foam but not sure of thickness . Also what’s the best way to fix a broken spring the frame is in in incredible condition still shines black with no rust . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote