The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #26
schovil69

Re: Several issues after 700R4 swap - any ideas?

Had the same issue...turned out to be a broken wire in the firewall loom under the hood.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:26 PM   #27
delosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
The starting issue may be from a clearance issue between starter and flywheel. That would explain why it won't start when hot. Try adding a couple of small shims to starter and see if the extra clearance solves issue.
They thought of this too and added the shims, but made it worse. He says engagement is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Is the no start a slow turn over but won't fire or a click and nothing happens?
It's just a hard click - no turn over.

Other updates:
I upgraded several grounds based on this feedback (waiting for some thick braided straps to deliver too). It started right away twice then I had to come inside. Next day, it clicked again a couple times. I thought I solved it.

I will continue to test and inspect all wiring and connections.

I rerouted my PCV system and it idles/runs much smoother now. Still have not driven it since bringing it home. Bed is still full of old parts and I'm out of room!

I chatted with the shop and he still feels strongly that this starter could be the culprit. It is a Powermaster 3510 from Summit. We tried two of them. Sometime soon, he will swap in a new starter that he sources just to test his theory.

Also, I fell victim to garbage parts with the allure of a $320 steering column. A proper Flaming River column is on the way.
delosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #28
Jason Banks

Not sure you caught my comments above and the video about how to test voltage drop between different connections.

You only have 3 to check. Ground to the starter, power to the starter, and the power trigger(purple wire) to the starter. Should be pretty easy to find.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 01:25 PM   #29
delosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Not sure you caught my comments above and the video about how to test voltage drop between different connections.

You only have 3 to check. Ground to the starter, power to the starter, and the power trigger(purple wire) to the starter. Should be pretty easy to find.
That is a great video! Makes sense. I can try to do some of these tests. Could be hard without a helper and the available work space around the truck at the moment.

Thank you!!
delosh is offline   Reply With Quote