The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2023, 03:37 PM   #26
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Re: '72 C10. Or is it?

Look for - rosette rivets - in Google. You will notice the difference. Good luck!

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:48 PM   #27
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.PASSMORE View Post
Look for - rosette rivets - in Google. You will notice the difference. Good luck!
I had never heard the term "rosette rivet" until I read this thread! Just goes to show you that we never stop learning. I see they are very expensive, and who knows if they would get by an experienced inspector.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:56 PM   #28
desert-rat

My neighbor gave me his Chevy G van after he retired from landscaping. He kept all his landscaping tools in the van. The registration was commercial. DMV said at lease 1 seat and seat belt besides the front 2 seats needs to be bolted for the registration to be changed to a passenger vehicle. So I restored the van and built a camper van. Took the van to the DMV for inspection. Inspector just asked " rear seat and belts bolted?" I said "yup, wanna see?" He just said "No. Take this form to the front for new registration. He didn't Inspect anything.
desert-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 06:24 PM   #29
54blackhornet

I would suspect that you have a better chance winning the lottery than having a DMV person notice a rivet that is not original. Maybe in California ?
Old 07-19-2023, 03:11 AM   #30
desert-rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I would suspect that you have a better chance winning the lottery than having a DMV person notice a rivet that is not original. Maybe in California ?
California doesn't do any vehicle inspection unless it's a salvaged title. But even than, DMV is just inspecting vehicle safety. Maybe if its a recovered stolen vehicle California may do a VIN check. If the vehicle is 10 years or older, California doesn't require mileage when doing a vehicle transfer.

Last edited by desert-rat; 07-19-2023 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 08:11 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Ok, I don't mind telling this because it's all behind me now. When I bought my '71 C/30 wrecker from my neighbor it came with a C/10 cab (no clearance lamps) and title. I commented how that bothered me since I wanted to used as intended. On old tow truck used for towing still would draw attention from DOT, plus a run through the weigh stations is required. He said, "Here's the title and VIN-plate from that '70 C./30 you sold me". Nothuing stolen here. In fact, that title was still in my name... perfect! I took regular old aluminum pop rivets, took a rat tail file to them created divits that looked like rosettes, and sprayed them with alumna-blast. Looked just right, as confirmed by many. Plus I always wanted a 67-72 wrecker and planned to keep it forever.

Things happened where I decided it best if I let it go. I needed one to move trucks back and forth from my shop up the road 20 miles and back. I realized what I really needed was a 67-72 medium duty wrecker I always wanted as well. A guy from Buffalo, NY came down and hauled back up. Once it was gone I started thinking about those rivets and about reading on here how tough NY state is on such things. Uh oh, crossed state lines plus it was already a federal offense. I got a bit nervous. My handy work was going under scrutiny.

The next week, there it was on Craigslist for sale. The buyer was a flipper. Never heard a thing. Not sure I'd consider doing that again

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #32
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Ok, I don't mind telling this because it's all behind me now. When I bought my '71 C/30 wrecker from my neighbor it came with a C/10 cab (no clearance lamps) and title. I commented how that bothered me since I wanted to used as intended. On old tow truck used for towing still would draw attention from DOT, plus a run through the weigh stations is required. He said, "Here's the title and VIN-plate from that '70 C./30 you sold me". Nothuing stolen here. In fact, that title was still in my name... perfect! I took regular old aluminum pop rivets, took a rat tail file to them created divits that looked like rosettes, and sprayed them with alumna-blast. Looked just right, as confirmed by many. Plus I always wanted a 67-72 wrecker and planned to keep it forever.

Things happened where I decided it best if I let it go. I needed one to move trucks back and forth from my shop up the road 20 miles and back. I realized what I really needed was a 67-72 medium duty wrecker I always wanted as well. A guy from Buffalo, NY came down and hauled back up. Once it was gone I started thinking about those rivets and about reading on here how tough NY state is on such things. Uh oh, crossed state lines plus it was already a federal offense. I got a bit nervous. My handy work was going under scrutiny.

The next week, there it was on Craigslist for sale. The buyer was a flipper. Never heard a thing. Not sure I'd consider doing that again
New York state doesn't issue titles for 72 & older vehicles so it was probably never looked at by anyone.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #33
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
New York state doesn't issue titles for 72 & older vehicles so it was probably never looked at by anyone.
Nobody has ever looked at anything I bought and registered that came from out of state or in state . The only time was when I bought a salvage titled car and rebuilt it had to show receipts for all the “new” parts .

In NY even if you have no paperwork for a pre 72 vehicle all you need say is it’s been in your possession for over a year . To register it you need a tracing or a picture of the vin . They give you a non transferable registration and after a vin search come back clean a transferable registration is issued .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 05:55 PM   #34
54blackhornet

You just have to realize that the typical DMV person just doesn’t care. They are overworked and underpaid and under appreciated. The problem was years ago folks actually care about things. That was a long time ago based on my recent DMV visits.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:49 PM   #35
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Nobody has ever looked at anything I bought and registered that came from out of state or in state . The only time was when I bought a salvage titled car and rebuilt it had to show receipts for all the “new” parts .

In NY even if you have no paperwork for a pre 72 vehicle all you need say is it’s been in your possession for over a year . To register it you need a tracing or a picture of the vin . They give you a non transferable registration and after a vin search come back clean a transferable registration is issued .
I wouldn't know. I never registered anything in NY. I was going by all the threads on here where anyone from NY said the state was really hard on everything being right. Either it changed or up until now everyone posting about this stuff was wrong about the state where they live.

Anyway, the point was I made my own rosettes out of hardware store pop rivets and they looks real. Real enough it was not an issue to the buyers

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 07-20-2023, 02:25 AM   #36
desert-rat

Here in Cali, lot of vehicles are stolen, driven down to Mexico, switched VIN, and sometimes brought back even with other license plates.

Last edited by desert-rat; 07-20-2023 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

While the average DMV employee might not care, law enforcement sure does and that's what really matters when it comes to a federal offense. It just won't cut it when you say, "But the DMV put it through". And the statement I know is not true in Maryland. The DMV employees seem to do whatever it takes to turn you down. You better have all your ducks in line when you go in or you'll be waiting just to be sent home with nothing gained. We also have a State Trooper in the building full-time

Tim

Old 07-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #38
MikeB

Let's make it as hard as possible on those nasty old car & truck enthusiasts who want to destroy the planet!!!

Federal offense? Well, a truck having non-original rivets seems to pale in comparison with selling access to a government official. And the feds didn't seem to have a problem with that.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #39
54blackhornet

Mike great observation ! Let’s throw a guy in jail over stuff like this while major cities burn down nightly.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:12 PM   #40
MySons68C20

I couldn't agree more. The hypocrisy in our justice system is staggering.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:09 PM   #41
72c20customcamper

It’s not a federal offense to remove and replace a vin . Unless it’s done to cover up a stolen vehicle . The average guy can get permission to remove and reinstall a vin , not sure about switching vins but if both are clean then I don’t see a problem and I doubt the state would either .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote