The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2023, 02:06 PM   #26
402Bowtie

Re: Lower tailgate trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
Interesting thread John. I sure don't know the right answer - but, I "thought" the lower tailgate trim came from the factory only on a Custom Deluxe with solid lower body paint -or- on a Custom with solid lower body paint with RPOs BX2 and/or B85 ordered.
(by solid "lower" body paint, I mean any paint scheme other then the deluxe two tone)
Casper's is the only Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super I've ever seen with lower tailgate trim.
As SS Tim once mentioned, I think Custom Deluxe trucks "should" have both upper and lower tailgate trim (not the woodgrain band) from the factory regardless of paint scheme.

Seems like there are a small percentage of trucks that are the exception to the rule.
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #27
cericd

Not sure if this is relevant to your search but I'll let you decide.

When I first got my truck, a very low optioned C/10, back in 2012, I had plans of turning it into a higher trim level truck. One of the things I wanted to add was the tailgate band. While doing research I noticed that most of the trucks with a band did not have the lower tailgate trim. My truck came with the lower trim and I didn't like the look of the band with lower trim, especially since it seemed like it would be a dead giveaway that I had added the band. That may have been the beginning of my decision to keep the look of my truck as low optioned C/10.

I've looked through the forum and there seems to be several threads dedicated to the lower tailgate trim and the one thing they all havein common is confusion. Here is a statement made by one of our longtime members special-K that may shed some light on things,

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
69/70 Customs and 71/72 CustomDeluxes got it.All of them.
A 69/70 C got it with the side moulding and 71/72 Customs did,too.
My truck is a 70 C/10 St Louis build with the 4BX2AG BODY SIDE MOULDING- option listed on the SPID and it has the lower tailgate trim.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:08 PM   #28
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Not sure if this is relevant to your search but I'll let you decide.

When I first got my truck, a very low optioned C/10, back in 2012, I had plans of turning it into a higher trim level truck. One of the things I wanted to add was the tailgate band. While doing research I noticed that most of the trucks with a band did not have the lower tailgate trim. My truck came with the lower trim and I didn't like the look of the band with lower trim, especially since it seemed like it would be a dead giveaway that I had added the band. That may have been the beginning of my decision to keep the look of my truck as low optioned C/10.

I've looked through the forum and there seems to be several threads dedicated to the lower tailgate trim and the one thing they all havein common is confusion. Here is a statement made by one of our longtime members special-K that may shed some light on things,

My truck is a 70 C/10 St Louis build with the 4BX2AG BODY SIDE MOULDING- option listed on the SPID and it has the lower tailgate trim.
Yep, special-K is right and your truck seems to match the "rule." Still it is interesting to me that there are a few trucks out there that are the exception to the rule.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:00 PM   #29
cericd

Yeah, it seems the more you dig into these trucks the more exceptions to the rule you find. According to the "rules," my base level C/10 shouldn't have any type of emblem on the exterior of the glovebox door but it does. I don't believe the previous owner would've added it since at some point he or his father was a smoker and they didn't bother to add a cigarette lighter as is evident by the truck still having its lighter delete plug.

Here's a thread about a base level '69 C/10 that also has a Chevrolet/Custom glovebox emblem. I tried reaching out to the owner to see if it's a St Louis build like mine but haven't heard back.
Attached Images

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:05 PM   #30
tim71

My Fremont built 71 K1500 Custom (with option Z62) has the lower trim. I don’t know build process or when trim is installed, but could it be possible that occasionally a wrong tailgate (no holes for lower trim) was installed and assemblers chose to not correct the mistake?
Attached Images

tim71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:55 PM   #31
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
My Fremont built 71 K1500 Custom (with option Z62) has the lower trim. I don’t know build process or when trim is installed, but could it be possible that occasionally a wrong tailgate (no holes for lower trim) was installed and assemblers chose to not correct the mistake?
I wonder if holes were drilled/punched before paint? Or was it possible that woodgrain tailgate band holes were drilled after paint? If the latter is at least true, maybe they stole from the woodgrain tailgate pile on a few builds and just "called it good" with the upper trim only?