The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #226
rhodog77

Re: '50 5 window.....s10 swap

Kustom,

thanks for the clarification. To be honest....I had always planned on a tranny shop adjusting the TV and taking care of the lockup. Thats something that I have no knowledge about and definetly dont want to tackle myself.

Vintage,

I will take some pix tomorrow. The lower radiator was a pain in the butt. I too, tried a piece of flexi hose but it kinked way to tight for my liking. It worked but I just didnt feel comfortable getting it out on the road like that. So... what I did was went to my muffler shop, got a stick of pipe and had them bend me up the tightest U bend they could. It still wasnt fitting right so I took the torches to it and bent it some more. I basically used the pipe as a spacer. The angle of the radiator spout and the spout on my engine was way out of wack. This was really the only way I could make it work. I will take a pic tomorrow. Like I say.....It aint purty but it'll work.

1970 P10 Stepvan
rhodog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #227
vintage_car

there are quite a few youtube videos on how to install and adjust that TV cable. might help to watch a couple of those.

That one seemed pretty straight forward... but I think they might have been using a kit.
vintage_car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #228
vintage_car

What sort of starter do you have? Just stock one? Did you need to shim it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #229
rhodog77

Vintage,

Im using a stock starter. The starter that came with the motor was not engaging the flywheel as it should. I tried shimming it but still wasnt happy so I swapped it out with a new one. Works perfect now. Didnt forget about the radiator pix. Im in ATL this weekend. Will get a pic or two when I get home. Hoping to go the Goodguys in Columbus OH on Sunday to pick up some goodies for my project.

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #230
vintage_car

I think that is te problem with mine. It did work, but now it is Avery metallic noise. The 'stock' starter you got... What year/make vehicle did you order it for...since ours are a collection of parts
I need spacers for my gauges at some point, did you say you picked them up at a goodguys show cheaper?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #231
rhodog77

Vintage,

Look at the flywheel and see how much of the teeth are "shiny" Mine was making less than an 1/8 contact with the starter. I tried shimming but it still wasnt enough. I picked up an el cheapo starter at autozone for like 40 bucks. The new one didnt require any shims at all. My motor is all stock from a 1985 Chevy full size pickup. As for the gauge trim rings. I did pick them up at goodguys last year. The are from TPI. Here is the website.

http://www.tpigauges.com/5_quad_sets.htm

I dont see the trim rings on their website but im sure if you call them they can give you the info. If I make it up to the show I will get some more info for you. Im stuck in ATL trying to catch a flight home tonight....dont think I will be going anywhere.....standby SUX!!

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #232
99 to Life

glad you got your fan all figured out. I think you will be happy with it. post some pics of it

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #233
rhodog77

Scored a freebie today. There are a bunch of houses being built in my neighorhood. I picked up some material for my door panels. It was being trashed. Im not sure what it called but its like really thin wood paneling. Its about 1/4 thick. I have seen a bunch of guys use this material. Im going to cover with black and gray carpet to match my freebie bench seat cover I will post some pix once I get around to it.
Attached Images

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #234
dmack91

I think the thin plywood you scored is Luan. It is used for interior door panels and the like.

Great build - I just read through the entire post. Keep up the good work.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #235
rhodog77

dmack,
thanks for the schooling me on what this stuff is called. I have seen this stuff on tons of rods but never knew what it was called. I like to call it FREE!!!

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #236
rhodog77

hey guys,

Thought I would share a little milestone with you guys. Got my safety inspection done yesterday. Passed on the first try. Took the paperwork to the DMV, along with my "project title" and insurance and finally got it registered, licensed and cleared for road use!!! The state of KY is awesome. They make getting a title and registering hot rods and customs soooo easy. I should have a clear title in a few weeks, with no restrictions. I still have a few small things to finish up before I get it out on its first real drive. Im on vacation next week so I will be on this thing all week long buttoning things up.

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #237
chevy49

luan is also used under floor coverings.how's the truck ?
chevy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #238
rhodog77

Hey Jim,

Glad to hear from you. I have everything put together and am really really close to getting it on the road for good. A few things to button up, should be this week or so. How is your 54. Driving it much?

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #239
rhodog77

Day 1 of Vacation.....

Got a bunch of stuff done today.
Welded up all the holes in the floor and most of the ones in the firewall.
Welded up the hole in the cab where the filler neck went.
Sanded down the floor and installed peel and seal on the floor and firewall.
Cleaned up my bench seat brackets and got them painted black.
Put my seat cover on and installed the seat....again.

Very very happy with the peel and seal..... No smell at all. I had it baking in the hot sun all afternoon. It stayed cool all day, much cooler than the rest of the cab. I know that its the first day of having it installed but I would recommend this product to anyone. I have installed a few sheet of fatmat...this stuff is just as good and easier to install.....and it was way way cheaper. i picked up 4 rolls to do the cab at 18.06 per roll. 2 rolls did the entire floor and most of the firewall. Im hoping the other 2 rolls will do the back side of the cab and the roof, when I get ready to do it.

Day 2 plans....Install a new intake manifold....Long story!!!!

Here are a few pix.
Attached Images

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #240
99 to Life

oh man that peel and seal looks great. where did you get that? I think I like the seat better without the cover, but that is just me. I'm sure it might be more worn than it looks from the pic though.

also each head should have a port that you can put your temp sender into, or did both of them have the open end plugs in them?

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #241
rhodog77

peel and seal is the shizzzznit!! I got it at lowes. The vinyl on the seat was pretty faded and was torn in a few spots. Plus it was blue and Im leading towards a black, gray truck. Also, the seat cover was a freebie from autozone. Im there so much that they are giving me 10% off. Good thing for the hookup but bad be cause Im there so much. As far as my temp sender, I ordered a new edlebrock intake from jegs. Shipped out today, should have it tomorrow. I found a hairline crack in my stock manifold...it was causing a leak when the motor got hot. I have seen guys JB weld intakes and heads but Im not taking that chance. I couldnt get the plug out of the pax side head. Just couldnt get to it very well. No big deal though, the new intake has 2 ports that i can use. I think I solved the fan relay problem. Going to try to go after it again once I get the intake on.

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #242
rhodog77

I NEED TO VENT!!!

Day 2,3,4 and 5 of vacation.

Well lets just say Im not where I wanted to be at the end of my vacation. I got my new intake and the problems have begun. Put the new intake on and motor was not running smooth at all. Thought I had a distributor problem but come to find out it is a major vac leak. I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake and it smoothed the motor right out. Long story short I think the motor at some point was milled. I had the intake measured at my local machine shop and it was almost perfect. Its only leaking above the #2 cyl. Im going to take it off again....for the third time and switch to .120 thick gaskets instead of the .062 thickness gaskets. I must have spoken to 30 different people trying to figure this out. Many people recommend using RTV silicone on the gasket where the leak is. I hope that fixes the issue, if not Im not sure what Im going to do.

Anyway, done venting........for now!!!!!!!!!

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #243
rhodog77

Well,

vacation is over and Im not where I wanted to be but I finally got the new intake on and everthing back in place. The new thicker gaskets fixed the vacuum problem. I still have some fine tuning to do but the motor feels better than before. I know it needs a valve job in the future but things are running smooth. I installed the intake 3 diffferent times before it was right. I feel like I could do it in my sleep now. Oh well, thats what this project is...a learning experience!! and man did I get one this week. Need to button up a few little things next week and then hope to have it one the road for good.

back to the daily grind!!!

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #244
vintage_car

what did you do for your gas filler neck and the bed sides? I put a hole in the side of the bed and left it stock length from the s10 gas tank, but I don't like the look of that neck sticking way out.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #245
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage_car View Post
what did you do for your gas filler neck and the bed sides? I put a hole in the side of the bed and left it stock length from the s10 gas tank, but I don't like the look of that neck sticking way out.
I did the same on mine but I cut it way down.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #246
rhodog77

Vintage,

I used the stock s10 filler neck and it is flush with the bedside. I cut the neck down to where it was basically straight. I cant remember but I think it was about 7-8 inches long. I shaved off the small vent tube, thats one of the reasons that I keep the vent line out of the tank. I keep the stock triangle base plate on the neck. I was going to tack weld that plate to the back side of the bedside, but I didnt need to once the grommet was in. I doesnt budge at all. I bought a new piece of rubber fuel neck and connected it between the tank and the neck. With the fuel cap srcewed in, its flush. The cap is from a harley davidson, part number 61102-83C. Here is the website I got the grommet from. It has a really good description on how to choose the one for your specific use. I ordered a few diffferent sizes to make sure I got a really tight fit.

http://www.rubbergrommets.com/produc...oduct=grommets

The neck is tipped up about 2 degrees to ensure the fuel will flow properly. I have a bunch of pix if you need more. There a few other pix of the neck setup on my thread on previous pages. Hope this helps....let me know if you need anything else.
Attached Images

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 08-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #247
wibas

What are you using for a fuel pump in the S10 tank? Filler neck looks good!
wibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #248
rhodog77

wibas,

I ditched the s10 in-tank fuel pump. Im running a stock mechanical fuel pump on my 350 motor. I wanted to run the mechanical pump so I wouldnt have to mess with pressure regulator. I installed my new fuel gauge sending unit in the stock tank location. I had to make a adapter to make it fit but everything is working great.

1970 P10 Stepvan
Old 08-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #249
wibas

Sounds good. I want to use an electric exterior fuel pump. I'm concerned about drawing from the top of the tank from the stock plumbing but having the pump mounted lower than that. I don't want to have starving problems or priming trouble because the truck will set alot.
wibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #250
rhodog77

sounds like you have a good plan. I tried to keep the fuel system as simple and as dummy proof as possible. Good Luck!!

1970 P10 Stepvan