The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #226
made2drag

Re: 86 squarebody made2drag

i moved my viair 380 to the radiator core support. still have to fab a mounting plate. right above the compressor, i plan on mounting the smc valves...the tank will be the only thing under the truck and it will be under the cab. the plan tonight was to re-run airline and power cable to the cab side of the rear end, so i wont have to see or run my lines and wires strapped to my notches

Last edited by made2drag; 02-22-2012 at 09:55 PM.
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #227
made2drag

i was able to run the wiring harness through my driver side notch
next will be boxing the framerails and welding a crossmember from one side to the other, mounting my tank and then wirebrushing everything.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #228
made2drag

even without shocks it rides really well. the 4 inches of clearance before hitting the notch will be gone when i get the weight of the bed on. when i give it alot of gas i can look back and see the gap get tighter by 2 inches or so. you can definitly see the leaf springs absorbing the bumps. looks like it will lay frame in the rear when the bed's on. got the frame boxed around the notches yesterday
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #229
stepside83

Looks good man, can't wait till mine is like yours, what's next?
Posted via Mobile Device
stepside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #230
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside83 View Post
Looks good man, can't wait till mine is like yours, what's next?
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks....shocks and bags in the rear, smc valves and an avs 7 switch switchbox. hidden hitch, sport bumper, velour seat cover, solid rear glass, carpet and stereo. also, maybe a custom made column shifter. a little at a time...
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #231
91Subbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
I got my 2600 bags installed but how much air pressure can I put in them? I dnt wanna bust them. Also I used the lower bag cups and when my bags are aired out they roll over the cup then "pop" when I fill them? Us this normal? Other than that the install was pretty easy...
Posted via Mobile Device
91Subbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #232
91Subbed

I dnt know why it posted a pic of your suspension? But my question is under it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #233
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Subbed View Post
I dnt know why it posted a pic of your suspension? But my question is under it.
Posted via Mobile Device

what kind of 2600's are they? when you air them up and the sub is all they way up, what is the psi? i would think 150 psi all the way up. see what the psi is and that's all you'll ever need. i would think 200 psi is prob the max i would put in them, but the bag specs will tell you for sure. about the popping sound. when your suspension goes thru the motion of lifting the cups may be sliding over alittle. i have noticed on my 67 that when it gets close to getting all the way up mine pops a little. somethings binding and then popping free. i havent looked into it yet since i only drive it once a year. i have new ball joints top and bottom so its not balljoints. on my 86 i dont have any pops or anything. my 67 has cups and my 86 doesnt. i think its the cups moving alittle. you'll find that the cups will rust to the lca's and they stop moving. got any pics, maybe that will help. try not to post them on my build because i dont want to confuse anyone with sub pics and truck pics in the same build. glad you got it bagged! i would have someone air your bags up and then you can watch as it airs up what is happening. you'll probably see the cups move i would think
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #234
made2drag

once they seat in alittle, if the cups are still moving, maybe air them up and wrap the bags with a shield of some kind and tack the cups in where you think they should stay. just like 2 little tacks on each cup. then air it up and see what happens. dont do anything permanent. the cups are made to locate your bags but also float. also when you jack your truck up they will come out of the lca pocket so they dont stretch and rip. that's why i say tack them lightly, in case you have to unbolt the nut under the cup
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #235
91Subbed

They are airlift dominator 2's. What I seen was when I'm aired out the bag rolls over the cup, then when I air up air the air pressure releases the bag from the cup causing a "pop". I'll post pics of my build soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #236
made2drag

Quote:
They are airlift dominator 2's. What I seen was when I'm aired out the bag rolls over the cup, then when I air up air the air pressure releases the bag from the cup causing a "pop". I'll post pics of my build soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

ok, id like to see the pics and maybe it will help me see what is going on with it better.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #237
54Caddy
GM Addicted

Looking good man. Get some pictures with the bed on so we can see how low it sits. thinking of going this route now also.

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #238
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Caddy View Post
Looking good man. Get some pictures with the bed on so we can see how low it sits. thinking of going this route now also.
thanks! bed may be on in 2 or 3 weeks. i think the rear fender lips will be tucking about 2 inches above the lugs.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #239
luifer76

truck is looking good bro.... love the wheels great job....
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #240
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by luifer76 View Post
truck is looking good bro.... love the wheels great job....
thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #241
91Subbed

Having some trouble with the flip kit! Any tips on making this less stressful? Lol...getting the rear leaf bolt off was b**ch!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #242
made2drag

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #243
made2drag

i installed these tonight...a friend gave them to me, so i put them on and went for a test drive. my truck seems to handle better around curves and the leafs dont bounce as much. i still dont have shocks mounted yet, but they took alot of the bounce out. i noticed also that the shackle doesn't swing near as much and that section of spring doesnt bend as much....the whole reason i put them in...i can still bounce up and down on my rear bumper and axle hits notches so im guessing the bed will make my axle hit notch.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #244
made2drag

Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #245
made2drag

dominator 2600's.....i really wanted to go with sleeve bags, but i had an amp laying around and traded. i'll probably build the brackets in a way that they will accept either bags or sleeves. dominators are like 11 inches extended so the sleeves and these will be about the same. i want to set it up using the way it sits now, without the bed on, as the ride height. i also need to weld the top brackets in about the same spot as if i had a 2 link bag on bar......... so if i ever go to a 2 link, all i would have to do is put the bar on.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #246
made2drag

Quote:
Having some trouble with the flip kit! Any tips on making this less stressful? Lol...getting the rear leaf bolt off was b**ch!
Posted via Mobile Device
you are probably already past this but put a jack under the leafsprings and loosen the ubolts, its alot easier that way, also when you put them back on do the same thing. vise grip the inside nut so you dont have to hold it and the vice grips will swing in a position and lock. maybe jack under the axle and under the leafs at around the same pressure...that may help keep the tension off things. its time consuming especially with a burb thats harder to get to but its worth it in the end. make sure you get the shock extenders because when your done the shocks will be laying down at a horizontal angle and they wont do their job. it will be real bouncey....oh yeah, on 1 side it will be hard to get the shock bolt in so keep that in mind. cant remember which side, but i had to take everything back loose to mess with the bolt or nut or something...it was in nov so not real sure now
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #247
91Subbed

Thanks man! Trucks looking good! Can't wait to see it with the bed on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #248
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I know you are working with what you can get cheap, or free but you really need to consider some changes. That top leaf was never designed to run mono and needs better support. I would add a second long leaf and ditch the helper leaf. Your never going to get decent roll control without shocks so add those and see how it rides

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #249
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I know you are working with what you can get cheap, or free but you really need to consider some changes. That top leaf was never designed to run mono and needs better support. I would add a second long leaf and ditch the helper leaf. Your never going to get decent roll control without shocks so add those and see how it rides
thanks for your comments, and i look forward to your input.....
i actually have 2 leafs and a flat helper in the leaf pack. i cut the the second leaf ends off 12 inches from the ends. this was an attempt to let the leaf settle more flat but i saw a problem, the main had more stress where the second leaf was cut. the add on helper leaf made a huge difference and now my main leaf doesnt flex near that point. it does a little but the add on helper kicks in after and inch of movement. i saw a huge difference in ride and cornering and also gave me peace of mind because now because my mains arent flexing past their normal flexing points. it almost rides as good as it did right after i bagged the front and drove it down the road with the stock rear suspension. i was either going to add the longer leaf in place of the one i cut off or put the add on in. the add on is doing what i wanted and i dont have to rip it all apart again. i saw a huge difference in cornering and the bouncing and vibrations the rearend was doing going down the road has decreased tremenduously. i cant believe the difference and i cant believe it rides this good without shocks. i think most of it is the clamp on the leaf springs that kind of increase the spring rate but it also helps the spring rate when the main compresses against the helper. in other words, your right when you say put the factory long one back in, but i really believe that if you saw it in person, drove it and jumped on the bumper you would probably leave it like this and maybe even agree it is an upgrade....cant wait til i get shocks on it and the bags...should be even better....
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #250
made2drag

in post 20, the pic shows the leaf spring end i cut off

in post 22, the pic shows how far it was cut off

fyi....i wish i hadnt done it now, especially 12 inches