The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Hankster

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Dang shame about your 90 looked like a clean ride. Hope you get everything figured out.

'86 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe - Gen V 454 - 4l80e - welded 12 bolt
(Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611611 ) SOLD
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
SCOTI

No real progress on my 90. Had a lead on a lwb 93 on C-list that was the same color (patina & all) as mine but could never make contact w/the seller. I got a hood so far but still trying to get a parts truck so I have everything needed.

The dually has been relatively trouble free since the alternator incident. I've been working on the solution for my driveline vibration @ highway speed & hopefully have the solution.

I came up w/a plan for an adjustable carrier bearing mount vs the original plan of just flipping it 180°. The problem w/just flipping it was getting the front shaft & the carrier square after flipping & I had some spacial concerns. I was trying to sort through solutions & came up w/the idea of making a center section that could pivot fore/aft to help w/the alignment. Not wanting to drag it out I did some internet searching for an 'adjustable carrier bearing mount' & found a product that looked like it would be more 'engineered' vs what I could make w/hand tools.

I ordered a unit & it arrived Christmas Eve. It gave me the basic functionality that I wanted & I just modified it to work for my application. Now the center support is flipped, it's adjustable fore/aft 2", & it can be raised 4" (when bottomed out in the bracket, it's within .500" of stock placement).

I have all the fab work done now so it's just measuring for the location of the mounting holes, drilling the holes, cutting the OE x-member center out, & bolting the adjustable part in. Going to try & get over to my buddys work today to get it on the lift for the measurements & then again tomorrow for the cut & swap.

Fingers crossed it works as planned.....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
DblTrbl

That should work great. Hitting that angle correctly seems to be the trick. I measured 1/4" from front edge to rear on mine. I like the adjustable feature on that...

Instagram: lofab77
DblTrbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
MTCK

That looks super slick. Who makes it?

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
That looks super slick. Who makes it?
Preision Metal Fab. It's intended as a drop-down bracket for lifted F250's/350's. I just inverted it & made new mounting flanges so I could bolt it onto my x-member.

http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Adjusta...cket_p_15.html
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 12-31-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
SCOTI

Well..... One step forward, one step back, another step forward....

The adjustable carrier bearing bracket was close but no bueno. It was too tall. When placed in position, it was obvious it would have been the lowest item under the truck. Unfortunately, because of the length of the truck that's not a good thing to have something hang below the frame near the center-line of the truck. At 5" ride height, I have high centered several times already.

So revisions were needed. I trimmed the excess material off the bottom, plated it, & then added some gusseting. Shaved over 3" off the height which should keep it above the lower lip of the frame rail. The other possible issue will be clearance between the already installed exhaust (mufflers specifically). It appears close. Additional trimming to the side gussets might be required but I won't know unit we get it on the lift again.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 01-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #7
Zane M

I love the Dually!
Good luck with the '90!
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Love the carrier bearing mount.
So much better than stacking 1/4" spacer plates like I did on my old '91 suburban.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
54earl

Subscribing
54earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #10
SCOTI

Update dance....

I got the carrier bearing x-member cut-out last weekend & got my new adjustable set-up installed. Wound up having to do it @ my shop which sucked (cutting/drilling inches above me while flat-backing it vs standing under it w/more room to work with + a 2nd set of hands). I need to get a lift. Stuff like this is a PITA as you get older but I perservered.

Initial impressions? It does feel better. I've hit 75mph on the highway w/no severe vibrations but there is still vibration. Next up will be rebuilding the driveline (all new u-joints, a new C-bearing, & balancing).

After completing the C-bearing relocation (and while still on the stands), I went ahead & installed the latest sway-bar I purchased. It's weird..... the way RideTech's MuscleBar is built required me to utilize the factory sway-bar towers but w/the bar installed BETWEEN the frame & tower vs under it (or bolting it directly to my frame like I've done on all my other C10's). So I go to install this PB/Addco bar & viola'.... I was able to install in directly to the frame w/o needing the towers (which helps clearance). The end-links are not plumb which I'm not crazy about but they're not @ 45° either (the RT MB links weren't plumb either). I'm living w/them for now but will be monitoring them for expidited wear.

Another failure was also found the last trip up to my buddys work.... It seems the driver side rear Bilstein spit out the upper bushing (the bushing was still bolted in place on the shock tower/bridge x-member). But once the shock was loose & extended, it walked (leaned) over to a comfortable rest on the exhaust pipe (I now know where that damn burning plastic smell was coming from though ). So my buddy picked through some discarded shocks @ the F**d dealership & we found some late model F150 shocks were close enough to use until I got a replacement.

So now I'm re-focusing on finishing-up interior items that got pushed aside:
  • Finish doors
  • Install door striker bushings
  • Fix the 'new' pass side door lock switch (broke already after a single use)
  • Stereo
  • Misc trim detailing
I ordered the needed materials to finish making the door bottom panels. I ordered a 2nd set of floor mats so I can have a DD set & a fresh set for any possible shows. Hopefully I'll have that stuff early next week. I'm going to get the stereo system plugged in (prob on Sat). It's all there, I just wanted to allow the stereo shop to terminate things @ the amp & dial the settings (for warranty purposes).

It looks like the front SloshTubz + fender close-outs will remain unfinished for now. I can't really take them to my buddy for finishing out the pass side mods (since I'm driving this thing daily & he already/still has my 90).

I'm trying to find another red/matching tailgate as it's already been the victim of a p-lot hit & run. I had to replace the blazer insert & install a new pass side lens which helped hide the damage but the gate is tweaked & you can't open/close it like normal. Bumper was tweaked as well but a replacement should be here tomorrow....

Otherwise things are chugging along. It's a thirsty ride (still averaging 8-ish mpg) but @ least fuel is cheap while I'm relying on it daily.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-13-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Nice update, I wonder what caused the shock to spit out the bushing???

Are you going to LST next month? We are trying to get White Trash ready to take down there and already have a room, even if we do not take anything...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Nice update, I wonder what caused the shock to spit out the bushing???

Are you going to LST next month? We are trying to get White Trash ready to take down there and already have a room, even if we do not take anything...
Not sure on the shock but VERY surprised based on my previous experience w/the bushings in these shocks.

I do plan to be @ LST.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
SCOTI

So..... Double Wide made it to the Lone Star Throwdown w/o issue. I went up for Saturday only & parked it on the spectator side since I knew I'd be stuck out in the back 40 (it would be a PITA when it came time to leave back to Dallas).

The extended drive only came w/one hiccup. It stalled just after I filled & started using the passenger side tank (about a mile from my shop). I restarted it on the drivers tank, switched it back to the pass side again, & it continued running so I hit the road. I'm glad I did the extra work for sound deadening. It makes for a much nicer driving experience.

It drank a bunch of gas which was anticipated but the driveline didn't fail which was a relief. Now it won't be needed for DD responsibilities so I'll get the shafts pulled out, freshened up, & balanced. The hunt is on for a 4l80e trans....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #14
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Congrats on getting the vibrations sorted and getting your daily back. Will the 4L80E save you any money over the GV unit, or is it all about the same after factoring in driveshafts and controllers?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Timber View Post
Congrats on getting the vibrations sorted and getting your daily back. Will the 4L80E save you any money over the GV unit, or is it all about the same after factoring in driveshafts and controllers?
GV = $2900 + shipping.
4l80e built by one of our better DFW area builders (Phoenix Transmissions) = $4k (including upgraded trans, shift kit, converter, & TCU).

With either choice, the driveshaft will need to be shortened so that's a wash. If I did the GV, I would definitely have to re-work the exhaust as my crossover tube is occupying the same real estate.

I definitely won't be doing the swap from a ROI perspective. I doubt my mpg's will drastically improve (might see a 1-2mpg increase.... MIGHT) so it would take a bunch-o-miles to recoup. I'm looking @ it strictly as an improvement of the driving experience w/the RPM reduction.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 03-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #16
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

the DD looks like it came out good after the repairs...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
the DD looks like it came out good after the repairs...
Yes sir. He nailed the patina.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-27-2019, 02:42 AM   #18
MTCK

Truck looks great and glad it’s just going and going. Hope you can find a deal on that 4l80 you want.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #19
Devilman

Any updates????
Devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #20
SCOTI

I get it out on a limited basis but that's about it.

Made a run to Summit Racing a few weeks ago (about 45min highway drive). Apparently lost the high-pressure side O-ring @ the steering box as it started spraying down the side of the body @ speed. Got the O-ring but haven't done the repair yet. Sucks because I got it all cleaned-up just to cruise around that night.

Went to take some measurements on Saturday of the Ridetech Muscle-Bar under the front end. Fired it up so I could crawl under w/a tape measure.... The front lifted but I got nothing from the rear. Compressor isn't coming on so now I need to investigate what's going on there.

Looks like we'll have some quality time soon
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-08-2020, 10:00 PM   #21
BlueJeep

Just read through this, nice build! I was partial to the steelies with the later model caps on the alignment rack.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Just read through this, nice build! I was partial to the steelies with the later model caps on the alignment rack.
I still have the set-up sitting in a box on one of 'the dually' shelves. Out of the box for that one trip LoL. I still have the aluminum 'star' wheels & caps too....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #23
EricU

Scoti, as the resident home builder of low fat C30s and my C30 project has spiraled out of control to a full PB Front and Rear bag install, I have a couple of questions for you (I apologize if you already answered them and I missed the answers):

1) Are you running AC? If so, when laid out, how close does the passenger side tire come to the factor AC dryer and housing?

2) What did you do for inner front fenders?

3) On your tailgate Blazer filler mod - How did you get a panel that doesn't have the holes for "Chevrolet"?
Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
Scoti, as the resident home builder of low fat C30s and my C30 project has spiraled out of control to a full PB Front and Rear bag install, I have a couple of questions for you (I apologize if you already answered them and I missed the answers):"?

Quote:
1) Are you running AC? If so, when laid out, how close does the passenger side tire come to the factor AC dryer and housing?
Yes, the truck has the factory a/c equipment on the firewall. When laid out, there is less than an inch of clearance (~1/2" w/29" tall front tire).

Quote:
2) What did you do for inner front fenders?
I have a set of SloshTubz installed that I won in a raffle. I would modify some original inners if possible before paying $600 for a set that would need to be modified (both to clear the a/c stuff on the firewall & to close-out/seal the compartment better). I know he now makes a 'mild' version which might be improved & clear the a/c but the set I have just does not keep dust/dirt from entering the engine bay. I can clean under-hood for a Sat night cruise & put the truck away nice & clean. 2-3 weeks later after not being moved, I get to do it all over again. The engine compartment will be covered in dust/dirt from just the wind blowing in the parking lot.

Quote:
3) On your tailgate Blazer filler mod - How did you get a panel that doesn't have the holes for "Chevrolet"?
The OE Blazer panel I originally used did not have holes. It was crunched within the first 2wks on the road when someone hit the back of the truck. I replaced it w/a panel from LMC & it didn't have holes either....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #25
Mike Bradbury

Hey I just noticed that your inner dually wheel does not extend inboard past your brakes. Do you have some crazy thick spacer plates on your wheels?

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote