The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #376
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Ya know every time i turn around its something else i missed when it comes to the tank The good news is i was able to install the tank without removing the bed support or a major modification for the filler tube, but...

I originally planned a 3/8 burp line when i last repositioned the tank, then i modified my S10 filler and it has a 5/8" burp tube on it so i bought the 5/8 hose and fitting for the tank. I never realized the 5/8 hose won't fit between the tank and bed support after i repositioned the tank like the 3/8" hose did, gonna have to pull the bed off one more time and drill a hole thru the bed support, I have a piece of 1 3/4 pipe i can fit in and weld into place for strength, also found some PVC fittings to line it with if necessary for abrasion resistance, or i can get away with cutting the 1 3/4" pipe in half and welding in a 1/2 section..

I swear I'm about ready to call this project Ground Hog Day, i'm stuck in the middle of it and cant seem to get out.. Now i got to dig my cherry picker back out..

EDIT: Well if i ever do another tank I'll have all the bases covered, Hopefully!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #377
swamp rat

Got my 90* die grinder and gave it a go today, must say I'm a little skeptical at this point but we'll see how long it lasts, it seems a little wimpy inside. Couldn't find my little grease gun so bought another and more oil too.

I also ordered a set of Nerf bars for the truck, the only ones available that i'm aware of, unfortunately bolt to the cab mounts but it was that or nothing and i really need to replace the side boards with something as they are falling apart. Aries part number: 204036. in Black. 204036-2 for chrome. from Stylintrucks.com is Pt# ARS204036.

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/ar...RINE44227.aspx

In my haste to get a hole drilled in my bed support last week i totally screwed up and didn't think about how close the fill tube was on the back side of the support, until i drilled the hole of course, then realized my error and took a couple days to chill out.

So never one to totally give up i spent today drilling and welding in a pass thru in thru bed support and i had to make a couple plugs for my screw up and weld them back in. admittedly it was a bit of a rush job (relative term with my air compressor) and my legs were complaining to me the entire time i was under the truck hunched over the rear axle.

I know it seems like a lot of effort for a burp tube but i want to ensure that there is no low spot on that tube for fuel to collect blocking the tube from air flow.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #378
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I swear I'm about ready to call this project Ground Hog Day, i'm stuck in the middle of it and cant seem to get out.. Now i got to dig my cherry picker back out..
i know that feeling. there are several parts and modifications that i have done twice on mine. either do to my mind changing or because i ended up with parts i did not originally plan for. it is probably easier to figure out what i didnt end up building twice... haha

looks like good progress!

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #379
CUSTOM/10

I hate having to do things twice or buy things twice.... Grrrrr.....

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #380
swamp rat

Thanks Ryanroo, it helps to read that I'm not alone in dealing with this stuff.

Oh, I forgot to add something from yesterday, before i got started on my truck i was cutting some tarp material out in the driveway, and i came back on and shuffled some stuff around on my work bench to make space for my brass eyelet install tool, right after that i thought i felt like one of my lower eyelashes turned under my lower eye lid so i used my finger to try and fix it, i must have had something on my finger that reacted on my eye very quickly and the lower 1/2 of my eye became very red and the white part actually swelled up sticking out past the iris, it was a bit of a scary moment and i called the emergency number of my eye clinic and had the on call Dr call me. I stopped what i was doing flushed it with eye drops about 10 times and relaxed for a couple hours and the swelling started to subside a bit so i went back to work and thankfully it did subside on its own after about 6 hours. I never had a swollen eyeball before, kinda freaky.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #381
Mustard72

Yikes!

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #382
sboris

Quote:
Thanks Ryanroo, it helps to read that I'm not alone in dealing with this stuff.

Oh, I forgot to add something from yesterday, before i got started on my truck i was cutting some tarp material out in the driveway, and i came back on and shuffled some stuff around on my work bench to make space for my brass eyelet install tool, right after that i thought i felt like one of my lower eyelashes turned under my lower eye lid so i used my finger to try and fix it, i must have had something on my finger that reacted on my eye very quickly and the lower 1/2 of my eye became very red and the white part actually swelled up sticking out past the iris, it was a bit of a scary moment and i called the emergency number of my eye clinic and had the on call Dr call me. I stopped what i was doing flushed it with eye drops about 10 times and relaxed for a couple hours and the swelling started to subside a bit so i went back to work and thankfully it did subside on its own after about 6 hours. I never had a swollen eyeball before, kinda freaky.
Wow! Glad it's better. Did something similar, only turned out the drops they gave me had sulfa in them which found out I was allergic to! The more irritated it was the more I squirted it. Duh lol. My eye was a swollen red and white disgusting mess. A bad 3 days. Lol.
Good progress on the truck.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #383
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboris View Post
Wow! Glad it's better. Did something similar, only turned out the drops they gave me had sulfa in them which found out I was allergic to! The more irritated it was the more I squirted it. Duh lol. My eye was a swollen red and white disgusting mess. A bad 3 days. Lol.
Good progress on the truck.
Well my eye is back to normal thankfully, i just wish i knew what actually caused it.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-10-2014, 01:14 AM   #384
swamp rat

So nothing ever seems to go fast with me, so because of this and the sun being in my eyes i couldn't see going into work today..

I spent today getting the bed on, hoses routed, filler tube reinstalled, all the bed bolts on and tight ( including the two that are obstructed by the tank that i can barley reach) and then got the rear cross member installed.

After that i drilled some holes and installed my filler cover in the bed.

2 days ago i dragged out the plates that were used to mount my old bumper and ground off all the weld and metal left behind from using my plasma cutter to cut them off the old bumper. Today I bolted them up and dragged out the old used bumper i bought to mount up... sat it up on the plates and its not looking like the old mounting plates will work, plus its pretty apparent that if i'm gonna save this bumper I'm gonna have to go buy a torch setup to cut new brackets which need to be thicker that my plasma cutter can cut and a rose bud to do some straightening, Of course buying one large enough that can use a rose bud plus the gas, plus the cart will add up quickly $$$$ I can have a dream bumper made for about $1100 by a fabricator in a neighboring town, but for the same money i can have a much needed tool i don't have.

Humm, i just bought a new Stihl weed eater yesterday that between it and oil ect ran me just past $400, maybe it wasn't such a good time to go buy one :p

The pic shows the burp tube going thru the hole (1 3/4 pipe) i welded into the bed support.

I had planned on getting a couple gallons of fresh gas for the tank then swapping fuel lines at the fuel pump and firing the truck up via the rear tank but ran out of time today, hopefully tomorrow but i have a busy day ahead, we'll see.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM   #385
rgunlock

Hi swamp rat. I've popped in on your thread many times, but just finally read it through. I can really appreciate how you've pushed through the many set backs and kept pushing forward. Your truck is coming along great! I've had the same IR die grinder and used the heck out of it for a couple of years now with no problems - I think you are going to be happy with it.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #386
mcbassin
Still Learning

X2 on the IR grinders, I've had pretty good luck with mine too. Glad to hear you are getting the tank ready for service. Keep plugging along.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #387
Dean'smeanmachine

good work

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #388
Mustard72

I vote for the torch. Craploads of uses for it. I bought mine many moons ago, with a rosebud, but I don't think I paid anywhere near $1100 for it. Is that what they are going for now? Ouch

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986

Old 06-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #389
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Hi swamp rat. I've popped in on your thread many times, but just finally read it through. I can really appreciate how you've pushed through the many set backs and kept pushing forward. Your truck is coming along great! I've had the same IR die grinder and used the heck out of it for a couple of years now with no problems - I think you are going to be happy with it.

Thanks for the comps, can say its been a learning experience for sure!

Glad to hear you had good luck with the same Die grinder too.

I know i need to start on cab repair soon..

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #390
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
X2 on the IR grinders, I've had pretty good luck with mine too. Glad to hear you are getting the tank ready for service. Keep plugging along.
Its been a busy week, too much on the plate, hopefully this weekend, tomorrow perhaps.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-14-2014, 03:01 AM   #391
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
good work
Thanks Dean, that was a rush job, and a bit sloppy one too, i deliberately left the pipe a little long in an attempt to not have any burn thru's and it worked.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-14-2014, 03:07 AM   #392
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
I vote for the torch. Craploads of uses for it. I bought mine many moons ago, with a rosebud, but I don't think I paid anywhere near $1100 for it. Is that what they are going for now? Ouch
The $1100 was for a custom fabbed bumper

I should have typed "tools" I'll give you a run down.

One Smith torch kit including rose bud $239
Cart $99.
#75 Acetylene bottle $149.
Gas given free (refill)
#125 Oxygen bottle $199.
Gas given free (refill)

Miller folding welding fab table $257
2 Miller table clamps $39. each

How? I sold my dirt bike ......

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 06-14-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #393
swamp rat

I received the step bars today from Stylin trucks, the box was in a Fed Ex war, ripped, taped and taped some more, there was a hole in it that got taped too, inside surprisingly all the powder coated parts look fine even tho the small parts were floating around with little to no packing, just in plastic bags, No instructions or owners paperwork at all. The hardware bag had a tear in it and I've accounted for everything but (4) 3/16 spacers, no picture of what these spacers look like..

There units are heavier than i thought, but they look pretty nice.

I found the install PDF on line but not enough detail.

Their call center is in Cuba, had no fun calling the first time so we'll see how that go's. Guess that's the price you pay for finding the lowest price on the net.

I know i need to order the cab metal too and really need to get that taken care of before i install these, maybe i should have waited but was afraid if i waited too long they may quit making them.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #394
swamp rat

I did get gas in the tank, swapped the fuel lines at the fuel pump and now i have it running on the tank! i hooked up the sending wire and it appears to be working as well, it went from 1/4 tank to almost empty when i fired it up.

So the rat was starting to run pretty badly for a while now, i thought it was bad gas in the old tank as we have 10% ethanol, i was hoping the new tank and new gas would be a cure all, but it was not to be. It had a pretty bad miss and wouldn't idle so i decided it was time for new plugs and wires, the plugs are probably 5 years old, the wires were installed when i built the engine back about 1995.

I bought a set of Accel cut to length wires because i need to use the fiberglass heat wraps at the plugs. I gotta say i absolutely hate when a plug wire set has the 90 degree boots for the distributor but they supply a straight crimp terminals, if i can find a set of 90 degree crimp terminals i'd buy them and do the wires over, what a pita!

I have used x-acto knifes to cut back the sheathing on plug wires in the past but I had a Bob Vila moment and grabbed one of my "Handi cut" cutters from sears, after cut to length I was able to twist the wire and it did a pretty good job slicing the sheath and not cut the center electrode.

I'm also in serious deliberation on if i should keep these headers or not, i love them and they perform great, but i'm a little tired of having to buy short plugs because the headers are too close and also make changing plugs difficult, i had to make a new plug wrench as i guess i lost the old one, had to cut an old deep well socket and weld a handle on it, I have to access 3 of the plugs from the fender well using a long extension, the rest require my home made wrench to change them out, 2 of them i have to access from under the truck. It would be nice to be able to get all 8 from the top side again. I could use some suggestions on replacement headers that i can access all the plugs from the top and just use a common ratchet, I'm tired of all the climbing in and out of the engine compartment.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2014, 02:30 AM   #395
swamp rat

Here's my old plugs, i noted that 3 of them under a magnifying glass appear to have developed a space between the insulator and electrode, don't know if maybe this was part of my problem. The truck runs great in all areas of the throttle, but i question if maybe I'm a little lean at cruise throttle setting?

I also did some Ohm testing on my plug wires, A Mallory cut to length set (with 90 degree crimp connectors by the way) I didn't record the readings but some of the short ones registered higher ohm readings than the long ones, kind of allover the place so i figure the heat over the years probably took its toll.

The lighting isn't that good but the darkest were 7 and 8, 5 is the whitest so took a good closeup of that one. All of them had both dark and light areas.

8 degrees advance with the vacuum line pulled from the carb, carb port plugged, idle set at 830-840, it does jump a little.

Note: back to my last post about the headers, i have no way of doing a compression test unless i remove them.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2014, 02:43 AM   #396
swamp rat

So a few posts back i mentioned getting a torch and fab table by selling my dirt bike. so the first oxy/acct cart i got seemed too small for the oxy bottle, so i called the welding supply place and told them i thought it was a little small, the guy said i should have gotten the next size up, so i take the cart which i assembled back and they give me a different cart in a box, i take it home and assemble it and this cart appears too big for the acct bottle.. sigh.. I know i could cab up some brackets but really? Maybe i should have checked out that cart at HF for 1/2 the price, its last day of being on sale is tomorrow.

I pic of my new fab table, its a folding unit and has a couple wheels in the frame to allow for moving it when folded, no casters for when its set up. Nice solid 3/16 top so should be pretty flat. kinda heavy but I'm sick and tired of trying to weld stuff on top of an step stool while sitting on an egg crate. Not shown is the two clamps that work in the slots on the table.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #397
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice looking torch setup and welding table.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #398
Mustard72

Here's my HF cart. Your oxygen tank looks taller than mine. I don't know if they are still carrying this one or not, but thought I'd throw the pic on here in case it helped.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mustard72; 06-16-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #399
swamp rat

Thanks for posting the pic. That bottle is one size smaller, I asked the welding supply place today and they said that for cutting and rose bud work the cylinders I have are a close match. For brazing and gas welding your set is a closer match as far as lasting about the same time.

I showed them both pictures and said I totally understand why they gave me these size bottles but I need a cart that works. Then I mentioned that if I had to modify a cart to work I'd rather it was a $50 cart and not a $100 cart, plus the HF cart has big pneumatic wheels. He refunded my money and I got the HF cart. I'll put it together tomorrow and figure out how to mod it.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #400
swamp rat

Quote:
Then I mentioned that if I had to modify a cart to work I'd rather it was a $50 cart and not a $100 cart, plus the HF cart has big pneumatic wheels. He refunded my money and I got the HF cart. I'll put it together tomorrow and figure out how to mod it.
Famous words.... I should have kept the second cart! Funny how what should have been a one day deal ends up being a week long ordeal.

I looked at the HF display cart and it looked fine, nothing stood out as being bad about it, so i bought one and brought it home, opened the top of the box and grabbed the wheels and axle out of the box, not one tight spoke in the bunch, way out of true ect, so i spent 2 hours pulling the tires and truing the rims as best as possible, got to say these are some cheesy rims!

The next morning i pull the rest of the cart out of the box, i could not believe what i was looking at, nothing looked square, nothing looked symmetrical, it leaned to one side, i debated on returning it but after spending 2 hours with the rims and tires i said to hell with it i can work with it. almost regret that decision, but after a couple days of work (about 5-6 hours) i got it into a usable state.

I had to cut the bottom plate out, square the main frame, reposition one of the front tubes on the main frame and bend the front tubes to be somewhat close to each other. The bottom pan was warped and also oil canned, i was able to get the oil canning out and massage the to 90* bends to get it somewhat flat but it still has a bit of a crown, weld the pan back in and then get all 4 legs so it sits flat on each leg. add a piece of square tubing to support the acct bottle, the re slot the axle mounting holes on one side..

The handle had not one bend close to each other, wouldn't even bolt up without bending it, i ended up removing 1/4" from the center of the handle, then massage all the bends to make it fairly square then weld it back together.

Tomorrow I'm going to take another piece of square stock and cut a couple curves into it and put a hole in the center, take a piece of ready rod and make a bolt to screw the bottles tight.

Hopefully i can get to that rear bumper pretty soon.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's