The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #376
Rokcrln

Re: project INCREDIBLE HULK 6.2L with 6L80E

That looks so sweet! Nice work.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #377
killer71

that dash flows like a factory job...Nice work!
killer71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #378
abadsvt

sweet job on the dash and center console! Kind of bumbed though i was going to build a very similiar dash and console. I still have a little while though so i will try and think of something else. Are you planing on wraping the dash with upholsetery or paint it? Looking forward to seeing more pics of the interior!

Josh
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #379
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadsvt View Post
sweet job on the dash and center console! Kind of bumbed though i was going to build a very similiar dash and console. I still have a little while though so i will try and think of something else. Are you planing on wraping the dash with upholsetery or paint it? Looking forward to seeing more pics of the interior!

Josh
the whole dash/center console will be covered in a light color leather (still desideing on the ezact color)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Looks great! Are you going to make any provisions for carpet or leather to go under the console or are you going to bind the carpet at the edge?....sorry I'm in interior mode right now and it looks like the console fits nice and flush with the floor...
the carpet and sound deadner will go under the center console....fwd of the center "hump" (over the tranny tunnel) will be flaired out towards the bottom, and aft of the "hump" will have about.5" clearence for the carpet/sound deadner.....it has about .250" of clearence now, but will have a rolled lip for a nice smooth look....
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #380
atp

That dash/console is just sick!
atp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #381
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #382
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

subscribed
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #383
TooTall

hanging out for updates !
TooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #384
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

sweet progress as usual Don.....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #385
heidesign

Thats the look of the dash I am thinking. Nice job.

Subscribed too.

Keep us posted.

Bill
heidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #386
heidesign

ok,

Im back.

I have to say I am very jealous of the out come of this truck.

I finally talked the misses into lowering the suspension last night on out 68 stepper swb 1/2 ton 2wd.

I have a few questions.

Im sticking with the 350/350 auto to keep the budget in tack, and want to keep the 10bolt rear. Now here is what I would like to know.

One is there a wireing diagram so I can start going thru the stock wiring and figure out the issues, or would it be much better to start fresh witha after market, and if so what are your suggestions with the one you went with, or will it be overkill for stockish 350 carb setup?

two would you guys have suggestions for a lowering setup for my truck that can be up graded to do like you did here with the front cross member,and ride height sensors? I would like to bagger, but think with all I am about to get into it might get to be a very expensive setup off the bat. Suggestions, and links with part numbers maybe?

Also, The cab heat that came with my truck, is such a rig job, and finding parts will get up there to do it stock, so thinking vintage air, what are the differences in cost and spacing for the 2nd vs. 4th gen you guys talked bout earlier in the thread. Next, brakes. I would like to go with at least disks in the front, and 5 bolt chevy setup, would I be best to find a stock setup,and axles, or is there a budget minded setup suggestion? I do not have poser boosted setup, so might need to source that also. If I an looking to go to something like 2-3 front and 5-6 drop in back with 8x18-19 front, and 8-9x20" on back will I need to consider the large step notch for rear frame, or?

Maybe Iam just dreaming, maybe I am asking too much, but hate to do things twice, and am willing to learn.

If there are any local guys that have done alot of this to thier trucks, pm me and lets get together so we can chat.

Im not in any big hurry to get this truck back on the road, wanting to make a keeper, so I am starting with the second cab I found, fixing rust, and then going to front clip, then bed, so I will have most of the summer on just that, and will then get into the chassis, and electrical this winter (hopefully), then paint next spring,and get here back together next summer if all goes well.

Im going to start by shaving the firewall as you did. What gauge sheet stock did you use? I have plenty of 19 gauge from strret rod work, but can get 16 or? soon if needed.

Thanks in advance,and hope I did not ask toooooooo many ?'s.

P.S. LOVE THE TRUCK!

P.S.S. the misses asked me last night Y We did not just go looking for a finished truck?

I showed here the jesabell thread (bad speller)and showed her that you would never know what was there if you did not have documentation from the builder, and was hoping not to get something that was some roofers way of fixing sheet metal. two I did not like the idea of buying some one else unfinished or rigged nightmare. 3 just the pride of knowing you did most if not all the work, spells WINNER in my book.

We currently own two other custom cars, one I built and another getting rebuilt due to past owners horrible body work,and rig jobs. I am also modifying a newer one owner diesel truck I like, making it my own.

Alot of this is new to me,and I appreciate finding this site and all the proud owners that make it a little easier than me just winging it looking thru mags, trying to get a clue.

Thanks again for all the great posts and answers, not just to this thread but all the others that help a guy like me get a truck that I can call my own.

BILL

Bill H.
heidesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #387
72 SHORTBED 7.0

Man you know your stuff nice work on the dash
72 SHORTBED 7.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 AM   #388
68 short step

ok, i jumped off the dash for a bit and started working on the underhood sheetmetal....we wanted a very clean, "WOW" engine compartment, when the hood was popped.....here is what ive got so far, also the intake is gonna be changed out to something more suitable/matching to the engine compartment.....got my templete of what the inner fender was gonna look like, by bending a little peice of scrap metal....then cut and rolled the new peice to look like the templete... also clearenced around the steering column....after i got it ruffed in, i did the same for the other side

Last edited by 68 short step; 05-30-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #389
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

lookin good Don!!

FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache

56 chevy truck :

67 truck build:

69 k10:
Old 05-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #390
68 short step

also made the front cover peice....this peice will act as a radiator hold down,fan shroud, and really smooth things out/ clean up the engine bay, for that smooth clean "WOW" look were after....
started measureing and cut a peice of metal, then bent it, cut the top part so i could 'bend' it to match the contour of the factory core support... tacked it in place, then welded it from the backside (still need to finsh weld/grind the front/top side tho)....and set-it in place to get an idea of how it looks.
but first i had to remove the factory, 'bumps' in the core support (they will be smoothed up later)

Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #391
VA72C10
VA72C10

Very nice work!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #392
Rokcrln

Let me be the first to say WOW it really does look great. I have spent halve my drive time this week working on my engine bay and hood hinges for our Tahoe (in my head at this point) and I know it takes allot of thought to get to the point you are at. Maybe I missed it but what are your plans for hinges? Also what did you change on the pulleys? I to want to ditch the truck intake (little close to the top of the fire wall with the C4 DM) but I have been told I need to change my entire engine accessory set up so I am looking for less expensive ideas.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #393
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Let me be the first to say WOW it really does look great. I have spent halve my drive time this week working on my engine bay and hood hinges for our Tahoe (in my head at this point) and I know it takes allot of thought to get to the point you are at. Maybe I missed it but what are your plans for hinges? Also what did you change on the pulleys? I to want to ditch the truck intake (little close to the top of the fire wall with the C4 DM) but I have been told I need to change my entire engine accessory set up so I am looking for less expensive ideas.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
thanks.... the plans for the hood hinges are this, we want something clean, functional, and doesnt destract from everything else......i know this doesnt tell ya much, as for the design, but thats where we're at now......

as for the pullies, quite a bit of work went into this system, to keep the VVT feature.....all the pullies had to be spaced out, and the alt. had to be raised and clocked 20* from the factory position.....for a cheap alternative to run a car intake inplace of the truck one, you simply need a idle pulley relocation bracket (this moves it from the factory location more outboard, to clear the TB on the lower intake)
here is what im talking about
Old 05-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #394
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

nice work....

FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache

56 chevy truck :

67 truck build:

69 k10:
Old 05-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #395
kyull67

Very nice work! That looks really good!
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #396
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
thanks.... the plans for the hood hinges are this, we want something clean, functional, and doesn't destract from everything else......i know this doesnt tell ya much, as for the design, but thats where we're at now......

as for the pullies, quite a bit of work went into this system, to keep the VVT feature.....all the pullies had to be spaced out, and the alt. had to be raised and clocked 20* from the factory position.....for a cheap alternative to run a car intake inplace of the truck one, you simply need a idle pulley relocation bracket (this moves it from the factory location more outboard, to clear the TB on the lower intake)
here is what im talking about

Ok I will look into a few different options if I decide to change over to the car intake. Few more questions for you if you don't mind. 1) who did you get the alt relocate kit from and what is the ball park price?
2) did you have a clearance problem with the sensor on the top rear of the truck intake at the fire wall and if so what was your fix? 3) I was told my 05 5.3L was a VVT motor but a few of the wire company's have told me they did not make one in 05 but you sent me a link showing they did. How can I tell if it is a VVT motor or not? I would like to keep this function but I am having no luck so far.

Thanks for the info and again you are doing a sweet job on the engine bay. Very well thought out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 05-31-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #397
Painter D

Lookin spectacular, keep it up!

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #398
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Ok I will look into a few different options if I decide to change over to the car intake. Few more questions for you if you don't mind. 1) who did you get the alt relocate kit from and what is the ball park price?
2) did you have a clearance problem with the sensor on the top rear of the truck intake at the fire wall and if so what was your fix? 3) I was told my 05 5.3L was a VVT motor but a few of the wire company's have told me they did not make one in 05 but you sent me a link showing they did. How can I tell if it is a VVT motor or not? I would like to keep this function but I am having no luck so far.

Thanks for the info and again you are doing a sweet job on the engine bay. Very well thought out.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
1) the pulley set-up we went with is kinda a hybrid.....the low mount alt is for a f-body (98-02 camaro/ firebird)... the power steering pump is for a GTO (we're going with a nice looking power-steering resiovor) the GTO style pump is easier to 'adapt' the aluminum (better looking) resiovor to.....the cost for the accy. stuff with the brackets, pullies, and hardware was around 1100$ shipped (that includes new alt, PS pump, water pump and A/C compressor)
its all GM stuff too......we got it from scoggin- dickeys parts
http://www.sdpc2000.com/

2) the sensor you're talkin about is the map sensor, i see in your thread how you have it taken off to clear the recess in the firewall.. a simple fix for you that may work, is turn it around (so the pulg is faceing forward)...... but, no, i did not have this problem, in 05 they used a diffrent intake design, that located the map sensor more forward on the intake (you may have a late design 04, early model 05 engine/intake)...here is a pic of that intake (the sensor with the masking tape on it, is the MAP sensor, about 2" forward of the fuel rail crossover)

3) in 05 they didnt have the VVT engine.... the VVT (variable valve timing) engine has a cam phaser on the front engine cover that addvances or retards the cam on the fly..... it does this for either gas mileage or for power, pending on where your foot is on the gas pedal

in 05 they did have a DOD (displacement on demand) engine.....there is a few ways to tell if you have a DOD engine
1) the cam position sensor is in the front engine cover ( instead of the back of the engine by the oil presser sesnsor)
2) if the valley cover has isnt flat, and looks like a valve body of a tranny(see #2 pic above)
3) what style of computer you have, if its a E40 with a seperate transmission control module, then you may have a DOD engine...
4) if the MAP sesnor is in the front of the intake

Last edited by 68 short step; 05-31-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #399
Rokcrln

Yes DOD is what I was thinking and from your description it is not a DOD so I guess that makes things a bit simpler. Thanks for the info.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #400
RaceAGMC

Did you make that coil pack cover? It's pretty hot.