The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #376
67ctener

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

Nice work on everything and great fab skills. I really like your wheels are they vintecs. You'll be passing my project up real soon I think
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #377
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
First coat of paint. I am going to repaint the front crossmember gloss like the rest but I did not paint in front of it or the rear past the shock crossmember because I have more welding to do....
I should have done that to mine. Turn the frame over and mount the front cross member. It would have been easier to install the bolts instead of laying on your back. I need to watch this one. For more ideas.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #378
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcaldwe View Post
I worked on mine a little today. Maybe soon I can get a few parts on the frame to the paint stage.
Cool I saw your notch progress. She's looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Frame is looking great, nice job...Jim
Thanks Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looking good Dan! Keep the pics coming
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
Frame looks good.
Thanks Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Kyle, I love your truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
Looks good! I made the mistake of painting a frame yellow one time........ Ended up sandblasting that amarillo crap off and painting black later hahaha
Yellow Thats funny lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Nice work on everything and great fab skills. I really like your wheels are they vintecs. You'll be passing my project up real soon I think
Posted via Mobile Device
No actually they are Budnik Famosa, they look identical to the Billet specialties Vintec to me. I wondered if they were made in the same place and just got a different cap depending on brand?? I attached a couple pics, #1 is the Vintec, #2 is the Budnik Famosa.

I doubt I will pass you up I have some time off work for the holidays and school is out for a few weeks so I am trying to get the chassis together.
I am pretty slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
I should have done that to mine. Turn the frame over and mount the front cross member. It would have been easier to install the bolts instead of laying on your back. I need to watch this one. For more ideas.
Yeah it made installation easier but now I have to con my neighbor into helping me flip it again
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #379
67c10rustbuket

Im stuck inside with my little princess who has the Flu? Maybe get some time this evening once the wife gets back from Christmas celebration #2 of 5. I sent Porterbuilt an email to order their fully adjustable trac bar. So here is a pic of it.
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 12-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #380
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
I was thinking John Deere green would clash with the blue exterior paint Maybe Caterpillar yellow like our fork lift at work would match, better consult the wife. My daughter thinks I should paint it purple (yuck) I guess I am a pretty safe boring honkey so a black frame it is. I want to paint the trailing arms, control arms, pan hard, and sway bar a silver or charcoal grey. I will call you next week about that seat... Can I have your biscayne now that you are done with it ?
I'm not done with the Biscayne quite yet - that was just Phase I.

That seat is there anytime you're ready for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #381
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I'm not done with the Biscayne quite yet - that was just Phase I.

That seat is there anytime you're ready for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought lola was perfect already! New dirvetrain? LS2 T56 swap would be the bees knees!

Fixed on the ol frame a little this afternoon. Georgia had a disgusting tow bar hitch contraption welded, more like melted, to the frame so I had to sacrifice a small piece when I removed it a few years ago before I started the rebuilding.
I traced the profile on Suspect's frame (thanks again buddy) and cut patches with the plasma at work. I love the plasma! I Need one at home. Here are the pics, tacked on, welded smoothed, and a little primer. There is still a hair of the old weld on the length of the frame I need to smooth out.
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #382
67c10rustbuket

The finish work..
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #383
67c10rustbuket

Brought my wheels in just incase the blizzard hits in the morning.

Merry Christmas!!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #384
widewhite70

Looks like its coming along good! keep up the work, and I've used tractor paint several different times in the past and it does work well!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697902
widewhite70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #385
RCbowtie69

Just check ouy your build & you are looking good.Keep the pictures coming & keep on truckin''.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #386
NewType72

awesome wheels brother what a great christmas gift and what a job on those welds wish I had the time to learn to do it myself

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #387
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Brought my wheels in just incase the blizzard hits in the morning.

Merry Christmas!!
Put those back outside and I'll have a Merry Christmas.

Hope your little girl is feeling better. You guys have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #388
cubber

Haven't looked in on ya in a while, but your build was one of the first ones I ever read. lots of good info. Merry Christmas, and you will love your PB trac bar, I have been really impressed with their quality.

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #389
DD1

Hey Dan,

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I've been on here. Looks like you are making some good progress; wish I could say the same. I have not been getting notifications of your updates, and I have not been on here for a while.

Nice job on the frame fix, and I am so jealous that you got some last minute Twinkies. I love Twinkies. Nice wheels also!

I have been sidetracked with a major home improvement project, and a major lack of motivation, but I am trying to get re-motivated, and hopefully perusing the board will help me.

Hopefully I'll start getting your updates sent to me again, and maybe I'll get my butt moving on my project soon.

Darien
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #390
Johnnyfever

Looking good, Dan! I need to practice welding a little more to get up to par with you. I spent 15 hours a day on my truck "Lucy" over the week of Christmas and had to go back to work for some rest so i know how ou feel. I'm seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel on this project, but I can still see the bottom of my wallet unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Johnnyfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #391
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by widewhite70 View Post
Looks like its coming along good! keep up the work, and I've used tractor paint several different times in the past and it does work well!
Thanks Calvin! Love your truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 View Post
Just check ouy your build & you are looking good.Keep the pictures coming & keep on truckin''.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
awesome wheels brother what a great christmas gift and what a job on those welds wish I had the time to learn to do it myself
Thanks bro, I'm no pro just learned from a few good ol boys, books and videos. Lots of practice on scrap until I thought I was doing well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Put those back outside and I'll have a Merry Christmas.

Hope your little girl is feeling better. You guys have a wonderful day tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
lol, bet you would! better put my bed, doors, and fenders back inside. No swiping! You can borrow them as long as you return them with new tires
Ellie is much better now but I spent most of my time off with her so not as much progress got done as I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post
Haven't looked in on ya in a while, but your build was one of the first ones I ever read. lots of good info. Merry Christmas, and you will love your PB trac bar, I have been really impressed with their quality.
Thanks Matt, you are doing a fine job on yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Hey Dan,

Happy New Year!

It's been a while since I've been on here. Looks like you are making some good progress; wish I could say the same. I have not been getting notifications of your updates, and I have not been on here for a while.

Nice job on the frame fix, and I am so jealous that you got some last minute Twinkies. I love Twinkies. Nice wheels also!

I have been sidetracked with a major home improvement project, and a major lack of motivation, but I am trying to get re-motivated, and hopefully perusing the board will help me.

Hopefully I'll start getting your updates sent to me again, and maybe I'll get my butt moving on my project soon.

Darien
Thanks D, them Twinkies were gooooood! I used to eat frozen twinkies and drink Mountain Dew when I was a skater boy. mmm sugar! You better get to work on that truck!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #392
67c10rustbuket

Sorry got interrupted by a potty accident while replying. Where was I ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyfever View Post
Looking good, Dan! I need to practice welding a little more to get up to par with you. I spent 15 hours a day on my truck "Lucy" over the week of Christmas and had to go back to work for some rest so i know how ou feel. I'm seeing a little light at the end of the tunnel on this project, but I can still see the bottom of my wallet unfortunately.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, Keep on practicing it will pay off. Wish I could have spent 15 hrs a day while on break. I spend most of the time off watching my daughter, shes a little young to help me yet but we had good times though. I will have to check back on you and LUCY soon.

Pics coming right up

Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #393
67c10rustbuket

Okay I flipped the frame over with my hoist and removed the front crossmember since I buggered up a rivet earlier. It also had a big dent in it that I could not get straight with it installed so I straightened it once I got it out. Cant really see the damage in the pic since I already bent it part of the way back then beat it straight on the ground with a bfh. Looked like someone wrapped a pull chain around it. I tapped the holes and reinstalled it (got the tapping idea from another member, I forget who). (my daughter likes to pick smileys, sorry for the excessive use)
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #394
67c10rustbuket

Having some internet issues... Hope this one goes through

Okay I trimmed the frame rails, No I'm not crazy (maybe a little) the 67 frame rails are 2.5" wide on either side of the engine where later frames are 1.8". This causes some header rubbing issues so I trimmed about .5" off the upper and .375" in one trouble spot along the bottom flanges where my previous headers were making love to the frame and wore a hole in the header (see the rub spot I am pointing to).
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #395
67c10rustbuket

Working on my PS dimple mod but not quite done yet so no pics.

Here is the pic I forgot earlier when I removed the shock brackets and trac bar mount.
My Porterbuilt trac bar should be here is 3 weeks.
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #396
es67chevy

Quote:
Having some internet issues... Hope this one goes through

Okay I trimmed the frame rails, No I'm not crazy (maybe a little) the 67 frame rails are 2.5" wide on either side of the engine where later frames are 1.8". This causes some header rubbing issues so I trimmed about .5" off the upper and .375" in one trouble spot along the bottom flanges where my previous headers were making love to the frame and wore a hole in the header (see the rub spot I am pointing to).
I wish I would have thought of that before reassembling mine. Had to use the dremel on it to make a relief cut in the frame with the motor and headers already installed due to that very same issue. Not enough clearance!

Great work and progress!

1967 C10 SWB
383 Stroker/TH400
Brother's One Piece Power Windows
Shaved Doors, Markers, and Bumpers
4/6 Early Classic Drop
Rear Fuel Tank (49-52 Chevy Car Tank)
Surf Blue Paint

Bella Vista, AR (Arkansas for those that get the 'A' states mixed up)

My Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330869
es67chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #397
DD1

Quote:
Thanks D, them Twinkies were gooooood! I used to eat frozen twinkies and drink Mountain Dew when I was a skater boy. mmm sugar! You better get to work on that truck!
Hey Dan,

Frozen Twinkies, huh? I liked them at room temperature, nice and soft, and mushy. Never tried or even thought of trying to freeze them. Bet it made a nice summer time treat.

I am slowly getting myself motivated again. For starters, I am viewing posts on this board again, which helps. I also started messing with my carburetor again today, which is a dismally sort of long story (I'll post it on my thread, so as not to hi-jack yours), but it's a start in the right direction. My next step is to get out there, fire up the propane heater, and start welding again.

I am probably even more impressed with your grinding skills than your welding skills. It really looked like it was never welded in the first place. As I heard on one of those car shows once, it does not matter if you aren't the best welder, if you know how to grind really well.

Talk to ya soon.

Darien
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #398
NewType72

really diggin the framework my friend everything looks good

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #399
67ctener

How'd you trim your frame rails?
Posted via Mobile Device
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #400
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
How'd you trim your frame rails?
Posted via Mobile Device
I use the Dewalt .045 cut off wheels on my 4.5" grinder. I taped off the cut line and first walked the cut off wheel down the cut line to kinda score the line thinking it would help keep it in line when I cut through. I cut through very carefully and keep a steady hand. In your case being powdercoated it would probably get hot and mess up the finish, I have cut powdercoated steel at work and it does burn a little at the cut. If you cut yours maybe tape the whole frame rail and cut through the tape? I hear this reduces chipping. I was not to concerned because I had to finish painting a few places anyway.
Attached Images