The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #376
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lcummins View Post
When it comes time, might as well do a 4k kit, may never use it but it is really nice to have if you ever want to use it.
How hard is it to change the valve springs?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #377
6lcummins

Not very hard, but it will depend on if you go 60# or the proper spring setup for higher RPM's. In all honesty you can get away with factory spring if you aren't constantly spinning 4k. But if it were me I would spend the extra money and do it right and do the springs, keepers, and retainers, but that's just me.
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #378
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I've got a new in box 5k kit I'll sell you.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #379
Ackattack

I did a little work last night.

Finished mounting the shifter boot. I had it set in place yesterday, and its amazing how much noise it gets rid of from the interior.

I mounted up my trailer brake controller, no I just need to wire it up (I wasn't in the mood to do wiring)

Then I dove into figuring out why my power mirrors aren't working. After doing some testing I came to the conclusion the switch is bad, so I ordered a new one.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #380
jb1016
"Oh well, it's a driver."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Also, I paid less for a gallon of diesel than a gallon of gas. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not
I wish I could say that for my wife's TDI Jetta...Diesel is still pretty pricey around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Petty
I don't know, but I've been told: You never slow down, you never grow old.
jb1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #381
Ackattack

I had a jetty tdi, loved that little car (and got 51mpg). Sold it when we had our first kid cause the backseat was too small for the rear facing car seats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 PM   #382
Ackattack

I started working on the A/C. My first thing to tackle was the lack of airflow. The blower operates on all speeds, just very little air comes out. This is also the way it was when I drove it home (100 degrees that day, I remember )

Last night I pulled out the blower motor and vacuumed out some debris, but that didn't really help much as I didn't get a whole lot out.

So today I borrowed my neighbors little hand held boroscope and ran it up there to take a look. Well the whole evaporator is pretty much clogged with dried mud. The evaporator is also the first thing the air hits, so that kind of explains the lack of airflow.

Tomorrow I'll get a new evaporator and heater core (just cause I have the old one out and they're not that much). I also picked up a new A/C line for the GMC. I'm going to cut off the compressor fittings from this line and connect the compressor fittings from the dodge and hopefully that will be taken care of. Then, finally I have to wire it all up. Oh, and I guess charge it up too

I also got a new orifice tube and accumulator. If all goes well I'll be chilling out with A/C by the weekend
Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #383
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Not my favorite company but have you checked Parker for the metric fittings? I used to build all my own. Are you missing the fresh air deflector in the right fender or do you think the mud came from somewhere else?
Posted via Mobile Device

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #384
Ackattack

I think it was just a bunch of dust that over time caked up on the evaporator. I believe the debris also is what caused the evaporator box no to drain correctly, therefore rusting out the passenger floor

I got the new evaporator and heater core installed tonight and the box/ducting partially put back together. Kind of a pain in the but. I also busted out a part of the box putting the evaporator back in. I'll have to "weld" it back together. I did a lot of "welding" on the A/C system from a 90 chevy that I put into my 69

I also got the mirror switch installed, and now my mirrors work.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #385
Ackattack

So tonight I got the rest of the heater ducting installed, got the new reciever/dryer installed, flushed out the condenser and installed a new orifice tube, then installed the original low pressure line through the hole in the core support that the fresh air did come into:

I then looked at the hose assembly from the reciever/dryer to the compressor and then on to the condenser. The idea was to splice the two lines together. Unfortunately the suction line is a different size on the dodge compared to the GM line. So I guess I will have to take it to the A/C shop to have them make it up for me. At least they only have to do the one line now since I got the low pressure
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #386
Ackattack

I took the lines to the A/C shop and had it modified. The guy there said he even had a tough time getting the right fittings, cause a few of them were mislabled on their boxes. Never the less, he got the hose made up (not the cheap way to go for sure). I wrapped a foil cloth thing around the suction line to help block the heat from the turbo since the outlet from the receiver/dryer is pointed direct at the turbo.

Then I pressured the system with air to check for leaks. I let it set there while I worked on wiring. I pretty much used the stock wiring. However, from the A/C unit, the a/c request is a 12v signal. Normally the A/C relay needs a ground from the ECM to activate. So I rewired the relay to be grounded and will now activate when it gets this positive signal. Also, the Dodge wiring that goes from the high pressure switch to the low pressure switch and to the relay worked even on the GM low pressure switch...kinda suprised about that. Then I have an aux fan for the A/C. I had to do a similar thing, switching the ground around.

At some point while I was working on the wiring I checked my guage and it was leaking a little. I was able to figure out where......I swapped out for a different size o-ring and pressurized it again. It held pressure for several hours, so I figured I'm good. So then I vacuumed it down and left it vacuumed over night. The next morning I charged it up. I was getting ~50 degree air out of the vent in the morning.

So I loaded up the family and ran over the KC to get a loveseat. By this time it had warmed up a little more. The lack of airflow out of the vents didn't help, and the air out of the vents was ~60 degrees.

The truck ran fine except for one thing. The cruise control would kick off when I went over big bumps (such as bridge expansion joint). I assume this was cause the brake pedal was getting jarred enough to activate the brake switch, kicking off the cruise. But then on the way home it turn off, and I couldn't get it to come back on. I haven't gotten a chance to do any diagnostic on that yet.

So today I messed with the A/C more, trying to get it to work better. I clearanced the arm for the floor vent door so it will close a little better since the seal appears to be damaged. I also sealed up the holes in the firewall where the evaporator comes through that was pushing cold air into the engine compartment.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #387
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Interested to hear what the verdict is on your warm AC. AC work is my favorite to troubleshoot and work on!

What is your pressure difference hi and lo? You said that you used air to leak test your system. Was it shop air? using shop air can contaminate your dryer even when you pull it back to a vacuum.

When ever I have a warm air output I will usually feel test the suction and discharge lines on the compressor (should be fun on the Cummins). Good way to determine if it is an AC problem or heater interference problem.

I like your troubleshooting and reporting on this truck... and I look forward to the finished project!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #388
Ackattack

I think the A/C may been overcharged slightly, pressures were 45/275. Luckily it developed a leak, and the pressures dropped a little to about 35psi on the low side (can't remember the high side....maybe 200???) So now I'm getting temps in the low 40s.

On another note: When I had the tranny out, I had to tip the engine back, breaking the temp sending unit on the left rear of the head. So tonight I'm going to relocate the sensor into the coolant line that goes to the heater. Hopefully that will work fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #389
Ackattack

Well poop: I was driving the truck along today at about 25 mph and it started shaking violently side to side. I was able to pull onto a side street and get stopped no problem. So I hop out and start inspecting. This is what I found:

The frame around the pan hard bar is cracked! There is a seam on the bottom of the frame that is torn open and the crossmember in the engine is cracked. Looks like I have some serious reinforcing to do. These are factory welds. My welds on the panhard bracket appear to be fine. Obviously the frame wasn't meant to take the twisting force the panhard bar is putting on it.

I'll repair the frame, evaluate it and figure out a way to reinforce it.

Luckily I was only going 25 when it happened and not 75. That would have been a scary ride.

Posting from the side of the road waiting for a tow truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #390
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Holy Crap man! I'm glad you and the truck are alright!

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #391
cAlvis165

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
holy crap man! I'm glad you and the truck are alright!
x2

DD 2000 Chevy Suburban 4x4/5.3 Vortec/4L60E/4:10s, 18" Escalade rims, Electric fans
Project Dooley One-Ton 4x4 on 38.5s Corn-binder build
cAlvis165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #392
Ackattack

While I wait on my welder to get repaired I'm going to continue on my to do list.

I got the alarm installed. It really wasn't too hard once you carefully read through the instructions. It has a starter disable function, shock sensor, and monitors the doors opening that will add to the security. However the biggest benefit of the alarm system is keyless entry. In the short time I've been driving it, I don't know how many times I had hopped out, walked around the truck to get a kiddo out of the back and realize the door is locked. So then I have to whip out the key, open the front door and unlock the doors. Much easier now
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #393
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad you caught the issue when you did. Love watching your builds over the years. I learn a whole lot from your skills and knowledge.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #394
Ackattack

I keep plugging away at stuff. I got the power seats wired up, so they work now. Unfortunately (for my wife anyways) the seat heaters don't seem to be working. I've had several vehicles with heated seats and never use them, so its no loss to me.

I also ordered a sway bar. I found this one that I should be able to make work:
http://www.welderseries.com/blog/onl.../sway-bar-kit/

It may not be as firm a stock one, but really without a swaybar at all, its not that bad....not that I've been carving corners with it
Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #395
Ackattack

Still no welder I called them today and apparently Miller is still waiting for a circuit board.

But on a bright side my Father's Day present from my wife and kids got here today so I put them on:

These ones don't have a turn signal in them. Overall, they appear to be good quality and will definitely help see, especially with a trailer. They will also pull out about an extra 6" These were on my "want" list, but not really a need, so that's why I hadn't gotten them yet. So my wife asked what I wanted for father's day, and I pointed her in the right direction
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #396
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice! Do you plan to plate and reinforce that track bar mount this time? I'd weld the frame seam too.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #397
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice! Do you plan to plate and reinforce that track bar mount this time? I'd weld the frame seam too.
Yep, if I ever get my welder back
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #398
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I've got an AutoArc 180 you can borrow til you get yours back. Probably could GreyHound it too.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #399
Ackattack

There's a rental place in town that has a 220V mig welder for $100/day I'm thinking about renting.

I could borrow one from work, but they're all 480 3 phase
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #400
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
There's a rental place in town that has a 220V mig welder for $100/day I'm thinking about renting.

I could borrow one from work, but they're all 480 3 phase
Man, I wish you were closer, I'd loan mine to you in a heartbeat.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote