The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #376
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #377
Low Elco

A friend has the tall version of that, the Fury. Factory Honda full stretch chopper. It's a nice bike.

I really like that Forty pickup. Mmmm Mmmm good!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #378
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
A friend has the tall version of that, the Fury. Factory Honda full stretch chopper. It's a nice bike.

I really like that Forty pickup. Mmmm Mmmm good!
I think this bike was the Sabre. Definitely something I would test drive and consider if I wanted a newer bike.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 PM   #379
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had to work today again and going through Ogilvie there was another cool car parked at the same shop as I usually see stuff at...

After I got home, and completed a few chores I needed (yes needed) to get on the bike for a ride. It was in the 60's, not too windy, and I had time, so I hit the road again. Just for a 10 mile trip to my friend Marvs place though. He has a cool old yami enduro...

My son graduated high school last night. My oldest girl is graduating from college tomorrow. I hope it's nice Monday. I'm gonna need another ride.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #380
flashed

Very nice looking 72 Malibu .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #381
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's been a little while since the last upload. Guess it's time to share some pics again.

Sorry about the pic quality and dirty windshield. The other day I was in Lakeville and the south metro area and saw a few old cars out. Nice weather brings the good stuff out of storage and we are long past due for good weather. It's amazing how little time it takes above 50F to get the grass growing and the trees greening up.... and the cars and bikes out of the shed.

Corvair...

Black and gold mustang convertible. Didn't want to trespass for a better pic.

Skyliner...

67 T-bird for sale, but no info on it. I like it more than I thought I would. I like the crown to the hood, the tail lights, the grill opening. The 4 door ones don't look any where near as good, but I could see myself cruising this.

The impala SS next to it was alright, but I think $10k is a bit steep. But I haven't priced them so maybe thats what they go for.

This 4 runner was in the same lot and I always liked this body style. Almost bought 1 new when I was in the navy, but couldn't afford it so I got the 1989 SR5 extended cab truck instead. My only new vehicle I ever bought. Loved that truck. We bought it in Portland on a friday, packed up the next day from our home in Bremerton, WA and drove it to MN to go to my nieces baptism (we were the god parents) and barely made it on time. 3 weeks of ownership and it had 5000 miles on it, and had been through 6 or 7 states. A couple days after that it was stuck in the mud in the empty lot next to our house.

Anyway, this looks like just a plain old daily driver 4 runner in good shape.

But the sign tells a different story. If I had the spare coin and a place to put it I would have to strongly consider this baby for a transfer to Sleepy Eye.

elco...

Another 89-92? Toyota.

It has a sbc in it. Looks like fun.

I don't know...

The other day I had the company car in the local Chevy dealership for an oil change and this was some of the reading material in the customer lobby area. Kinda like going to the dentist and seeing old magazines, but better...

Of course I wandered the lot while I was waiting. There was a brand new Tahoe and Burb there. A matched set. I don't think I will be buying any more new vehicles. Not that I don't like them, just can't afford them. My 89 SR5 might be the 1 and only new car buying experience for me. Both of these cost more than my first house, and almost as much as my current house. $68k for the Hoe, $70k for the Burb. Plus tax, licensing, etc of course. For those of you that can buy them, thank you sooo much. Without you I wouldn't have access to good used cars and trucks.

This beast was in Nicollet at a shop to get new exhaust on the big block. I think its for sale, but not positive. There was a sign on the seat. Looks pretty solid.

Saturday, my youngest and I headed north for my nieces grad party. I was hoping for mud bog action because my sister and B-I-L have a couple pits and host them through the summer. And my niece had said they were gonna. But my sister didn't want to deal with that hassle during the grad party so there was no mud action, but one of their friends brought his mud truck anyway.

This Cushman was for sale near by in Grey Eagle. The owner came out while I was looking at it and we talked a bit. He has lung cancer and doesn't have the wind to get it started anymore. So he is selling it for $5k or best offer. I love these things but again, no extra coinage and I probably wouldn't be able to offer him any where near that anyway. I like them, but not that much. It has the original 5 hp cushman motor, which has been bored out. He changed the rear sprocket for more speed (fewer teeth) and says it will cruise at 60 mph all day. It had 72k miles on it! He said he had it up to 70 mph. I was surprised by that. He did the restoration. Lots of new parts. The paint/body work isn't great but good enough for a driver.

That's it for now. My daughter gave the go ahead to stop at the local 1/8 mile drag strip on the way home from the party. I have some pics from that I might post here later.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #382
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks for the ride and tour HG. It was fun as usual. ..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #383
flashed

Great pics as usual ,thanks for taking us along .
Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #384
Low Elco

Thanks for the pics, please continue!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #385
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Where to begin. Hmmm.

How 'bout work? Been doing plenty of that lately, so I can share a couple of those pics.

Boiler fire...

This is a pretty old ammonia refrigeration compressor set up. The only one like it I have come across. The motor is the round thing in the middle and is a smaller version of the massive one I posted a while back from the flour mill. Its about 4' diameter. Those are some rather large reciprocating compressors. About 6' tall and there are 2 of them powered off that motor. Still operational though parts are difficult to come by.

One random pic from the neighborhood. The place across the street has been abandoned a couple years to foreclosure. It was getting mowed for the 1st time this season the other day. What mower?

This next bunch are just old cars/trucks around a welding and fab shop I drove by in Emmetsburg, IA.

It looked like a grow house. Either the floor boards are in need of repair or he's got some weed in there...

Opel?

The reason I initially stopped by this place was this old F-1 on a trailer out front.

Stacks?

I think the tires were manufactured before the use of date codes...

I thought the stack of license plates was pretty neato. I think it was 65-74 or something like that...

This old work horse was in Dunnell, MN. James called it 'murdered out' LOL.

And how sweet is this little grocery getter from Sherburne, MN?

Today I was down in Webster City, IA, Fort Dodge and Lytton, then home from there and heres a few things from along the way. I think this is the Historical museum in Fonda, IA...

This hot rod shop in Estherville, IA was pretty cool. Its called American Muscle Auto Restoration...

A couple vehicles in the lot were interesting. How about a barn find SST Javelin?

And a 71 GMC...

Last pic. Almost home now and saw this Falcon Futura in St James, MN...

Later everyone. Road trip with a couple of my kids starts saturday. Should be fun. Pics from that will either get posted here or on my C-10 build thread.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-05-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #386
Low Elco

Diggin' the amx! Nice truck too!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #387
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's been a while since I posted here. Been busy. And all my road trip pics lately were loaded on my trucks build thread (link in the signature below), so if you want to see more pics from the road, the last 3 pages of that thread have a bunch to look at. I got back from the trip on the 13th of June, and got back to work shortly after that. Here's more pics of things found along the way.

This toy was in great shape for its age. Around here that's just not common. Most are rolling rust advertisements or have long since been made into new toyotas, or razor blades...

I took this pic mostly for my cousin, he collects these old arctic cats.

I had to stop into my local napa and they had a jeep parked inside the store for a new promotion. I think it's a wounded warrior thing.

This is a hot rod owned and built by a guy I know here in town. This was the 1st I have seen of it. He still has some work to do such as replacing the rear wheels/tires (awaiting delivery for ones to match the front) and interior. He is offended by the term rat rod in relation to this truck. Although he is planning to leave the body as is and has the giant shifter which I pointed out to him as the definition of rat rod. It is a cool little ride though. Original frame from the truck which is a 35 I think, and was a big dually truck he knocked down to size. Original art work on the doors. We looked it up and the original owners son is still alive and in the area.

The crate is also the battery cover...

Here's an early bronco sitting in the weeds in Rogers, MN.

It was kinda rusty.

Also in Rogers, and all I can think of is the Flintstones...

The local credit union took possession of this beauty and it's for sale.

I stopped in the middle of the street to take this pic. Damn nice truck...

I went to my cousins place by Ham Lake, MN for his daughters grad party. It also happens to be about a mile from the shop that owns the USA-1 monster trucks. Unfortunately they were not open and I had to settle for pics of the semi they use to haul it around. I HAVE to get there sometime when it's open to see if the original truck is still around.

Follow this link to check out pics I found of that truck...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185922

Last is a pic of some hammers. They belong to Larry, who is a co-worker of mine. Over the past few years he has been learning the blacksmithing trade, which is what he wants to fill his days with once he retires from the boiler inspector business. I bought an anvil from him. Which is something I think I'll need for my shop in the future. He had a few to choose from. Though not as many anvils as hammers...

My anvil. 100 lbs from 1912 of good steel.

The guys that work with these things regularly have a term for the anvils available through your cheap tool stores. ASO's which stands for anvil shaped objects. There is a simple test to do with anvils to help gauge quality. Just hold a hammer over it and let it fall by it's own weight to strike the anvil. See how far back up it bounces and listen to the ring of it. The higher bounce back the better. And that about sums up all my knowledge of ASO's.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #388
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to do some catching up with the pic uploads. This poor mans spyder was in the yard of a place in Faribault near a plant I was working at. The owners mom had just pulled up when I stopped to look. It's factory built and street legal.

Some pics from one of the best junkyards in the state, French Lake. In one of their shops...

I talked to the owner a bit. He sold the gas monkey guys a boss 429 mustang. He said they were back there a few weeks before and bought a VW bus I think. Cool old guy. He let me completely gut the interior of a mazda RX7 for $175, which I thought was fair. A few more pics from the yard.

I took a bunch more with my other camera so maybe some of those will get posted also.

This mural was featured on a TV show about 3 days before I took this pic. I've been inspecting the boilers at the Hilton in Minneapolis for a few years (right behind me when taking the pic) and had never noticed this.

There is a story about it somewhere...

Here it is...
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/0...musical-mural/

Sweet! I stopped at Starr Cycle in Mankato for info to replace fork seals on my dirt bike. Saw this, and also started up a badass Honda Fury that just came in that day. I like 'em.

Last week I had some extra time so I stopped at Sport Wheels, the motorcycle junkyard to look around. This frog eyed Austin Healey Sprite was rusting away on a pallet out front.

Flintstone car...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #389
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here's a couple derelicts from some unknown tiny town in Iowa I rolled through this morning...

Pretty cool 72 dumper, but was rusty.

Stinkin' Lincoln...

I always liked these old jeeps...

These 2 were at a shop in Blooming Prairie. Early Bronco.

Land Cruiser...

I want an old service station for a shop. This will do nicely.

Couple old ford pick ups

Last but not least, a personalized license plate. I guess "nipple" was already taken...
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #390
flashed

Cool pics as usual ,thanks for taking us along .
Old 07-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #391
Ol Blue K20

Thanks for the ride and cool pics as usual.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #392
Low Elco

Diggin' the pics!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #393
crowdaddy

you have a great set of pictures, enjoyed them for 2 days………………..wow.
crowdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #394
NONHOG

Very fun! Thanks!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #395
dan42

Thanks for the journey through the Midwest. I miss Iowa and would like to go back someday. Winters may be terrible, but the summers are Heaven.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:24 PM   #396
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Still enjoying riding with you, keep up the good work!

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:40 AM   #397
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Its been a long time since I posted posted pics here. Its not so much that I wasn't seeing things and taking pics, or that I got bored with the thread. I've had a lot on my plate this summer. My last post was on 7/14, which also happens to be the day before I met someone new. The wife and I had been discussing divorce for weeks or months, but my going out on a date with someone made it more real and immediate. In any case, after many months of trying to work things out, it just didn't, and that alone was enough to throw a wrench into the gears of my summer. Then adding someone new into my life took up more of my limited availability. And the whole job thing kind of used up some time too but I gots to pay the bills. It has not been smooth sailing folks, but I'm doing ok and moving forward. No worries. I'll be alright.

Enough of the sob story, time for some pics.

Here's an old dinner club, I just like the old sign...

This gas station was converted into a restaurant. I like how they changed the gas pumps to coke and pepsi.

Some cars parked nearby...

This is in downtown Minneapolis. Just a little piece of old property that ended up surrounded by skyscrapers.

This square body is in St James and is always parked in the same spot. Nice shape...

Around July 21st I had to go to the Chicago area for some training for work. I took a different route than normal because I had work to do along the way down in Iowa. So I ended up going through some rural parts of NW Illinois and it was surprisingly scenic. Lots of rolling hills and a windy road to keep your attention. Definitely a nice surprise. I stopped to eat at this place, cuz, well, I was hungry, and its BBQ, and it has a shark. Enough said...

Some of the decor outside was cool...

Inside there is a shark over the bar. What that has to do with BBQ I have no idea, but the brisket was pretty good.

Old cigarette machine...

Nice drive, which ended in Schaumburg, IL, where my employers north American headquarters is located.

While I was there a few of us guys met up for dinner at a nearby shopping center place. Turns out it was the cruise in night there and a couple cars stood out. Dieselwrencher will like this, and some of you other oil burner nuts too...

Closer look under the hood...

Moving forward a week or so, I'm back home. Went to St Paul for work on a weekend and brought the girlfriend with. We went to a car show in Hudson, WI (just across the St Croix river from MN). It was a small gathering of old school hot rods and roadsters. I thought this was about the coolest weird little boat I ever saw.

The owner has been collecting them and has several.

Looks like possibly they are still being made...
http://www.britishwatersports.com/

We did some window shopping in Stillwater and I thought this was.....

I don't know, funny, cool, whatever...

Last but definitely not least...
Old 09-10-2014, 01:04 AM   #398
Ol Blue K20

Thanks for the ride and pics HG gonna send ya a pm buddy

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man