The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM   #4176
snipescastle2

Talking Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I changed my differential lube to 80w/90 and added the posi additive last night, gonna take it out tonight and see where I am with the noise in my rear end.
I inspected the carrier/ring and pinion, no unusual wear/damage to speak of.gear teeth were clean, and the gear wear pattern looked exactly as it did the day I rebuilt it.
The oil was pretty clear with no metal or debris in it.
so, cleaned her up, new gasket and replaced the gear oil and added the posi additive.
Have a Great Day!!!
Ben
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM   #4177
matthamby

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilrcady View Post
Believe it or not go with a ford starter solinoid.
Any particular part number?
Would you do that in lieu of an aftermarket electronic starting system?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm open to any help!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #4178
matthamby

Let me start by saying I'm not a gear head. So I did a little snooping to see why you would want to put a Ford solinoid on. From what I can tell that only helps if you are having "hot start" issues. I'm not having an issue with hot starts, I had a problem with loose wiring. I do have a 5.7ltr that I have to do a little work to and I am going to be upgrading to a fuel injection system and upgrading the starter and multiple other items. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #4179
kilrcady

it also pulls all the wires at a point where you could access them.Only one fat wire to the starter.You could bump the motor with a screwdriver.And yes it primarily used for hot start problems.I had that problem with my Big block with headers.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 PM   #4180
In The Ten Ring

Long day! Borrowed dad's truck, drove 70 miles, bought a set of NOS front inner fenders from a board member.

Drove another 25 miles, left those with the media blaster for cleaning and epoxy priming.

Came back. All day adventure but worth it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #4181
matthamby

Kilrcady, thanks, probably won't do that to the 305 in it, but will definitely look at it fir the 5.7ltr
Old 08-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #4182
sKnNyPpY

Modified up a nifty little bracket to keep the new a/c lines away from the alternator pulley and buttoned up installation of my CPP front sway bar. I've just taken it for a short ride to work and it feels real good around corners and even feels better over bumps and railroad tracks. Drivers side mounting bracket needs a little tweaking to get the a arm connector more upright and I didn't use the one inch spacers so it wouldn't interfere with the steering components and keep the bar level with the truck/ground.

Name:  bracket.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  44.4 KB Name:  bar1.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  bar2pass.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  41.0 KB Name:  bar3driver.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  48.7 KB
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #4183
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Finally went to the local wrecker and got a 1 1/4 inch front sway bar for my Highlander. I already have new from ECE polyurethane bushings with brackets for lowered ( my truck is not lowered ) trucks that will be installed with this sway bar. The Highlander came with the factory front sway bar but I believe those are 7/8th's of an inch thick.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 08-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #4184
WorkinLonghorn

Replaced the broken hood hinge for $10.

Looked in a local classified and found a guy giving away a 1968 GMC 2500 Custom Camper so I took a look. If only I had more room or some parking space I would have snagged it or at least gotten the doors or the Dana 60 etc.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #4185
Ekliptix

sand blasted the trailing arms, rear drums and rad fan to brand new condition. Painted them all right after and are back in the truck now. Can't believe how quickly this stand blasting works. All done in 15 minutes for $40.

Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #4186
In The Ten Ring

I tell you what, the ability to sandblast would be one heck of an advantage! You'd just have to have a lot of space to do it because I've read it goes everywhere for hundreds of yards.

Are you going to paint, epoxy prime, or powder coat those tailing arms?

My radiator came in from Rock Auto, 2 days in advance! I have to go look at it though as I shipped it to my parents' house. I'm too fearful of the drug heads to allow anything to be left at my house and me not home.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #4187
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I tell you what, the ability to sandblast would be one heck of an advantage! You'd just have to have a lot of space to do it because I've read it goes everywhere for hundreds of yards.

My radiator came in from Rock Auto, 2 days in advance! I have to go look at it though as I shipped it to my parents' house. I'm too fearful of the drug heads to allow anything to be left at my house and me not home.
I media blast all my door jams and anywhere I can't reach with a sander But I turn down the pressure to 80-90 psi ,Those guys in the picture are running 175psi and that will seriously warp any sheet metal but it will clean a frame in minutes well worth the cost .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Old 08-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #4188
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Finally went to the local wrecker and got a 1 1/4 inch front sway bar for my Highlander. I already have new from ECE polyurethane bushings with brackets for lowered ( my truck is not lowered ) trucks that will be installed with this sway bar. The Highlander came with the factory front sway bar but I believe those are 7/8th's of an inch thick.
Nice, now to figure out where I can get the rear from.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:19 AM   #4189
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Nice, now to figure out where I can get the rear from.
Apparently late 80's and early 90's IROC Camaros and or Firebirds have a rear sway bar that can be adapted to ours trucks pretty easy. Do a search on this site and I'm sure you will find a thread or two on the subject. Hellwig makes a nice bolt on sway bar for our truck and its around 200.00

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 08-26-2016, 09:45 AM   #4190
Ekliptix

Quote:
I gave them 2 coats of underbody spray and a coat of medium gloss black paint.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.

Last edited by Ekliptix; 08-26-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #4191
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Can that be delivered to my place if you don't mind, I'm in Canada. Just joking I'm still looking.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:13 AM   #4192
JJ's Sierra Grande

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
sand blasted the trailing arms, rear drums and rad fan to brand new condition. Painted them all right after and are back in the truck now. Can't believe how quickly this stand blasting works. All done in 15 minutes for $40.

Is that place in the SE? I used to use a place over there years ago, wasn't sure if it was still there. real convenient and yes cheap.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #4193
In The Ten Ring

Thanks man. My trailing arms look a bit rough (everything on my truck does) so I might do this same thing at some point.

Yesterday I test fitted my 3 radiators and removed all the outside bolts on the driver's side inner fender. Only one clip broke, one of the bolts I was actually able to spray with some break free (irony?). I was able to get the bolt out with the use of vise grips and my ratchet. Fortunately the one that broke was reachable with the vise grips.

I took my original radiator over to the rad. shop and found out it was worse than I figured, it needs recored.

I also dropped the bolts into Evaporust soak.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #4194
In The Ten Ring

I got a lot done today! I removed my driver's side inner fender, with only one snapped retaining clip and one broken free tacked-on nut. Vise grips really come in handy! I also went ahead and removed my driver's side outer fender.

I want to get the outer fender painted and replace the inner with the NOS one I bought.

I have all my hardware from those in Evaporust. I also cleaned up my locking gas cap and carb filter inlet bolt thingie I got from a member.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #4195
VWNate1

Unhappy Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

I wished I was driving it ~ I'm in Kingman , Az. , on my way to N.M. .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 08-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #4196
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Same here brother! I keep plugging away at it though but most times I'll get one thing done and then realize there is something I missed. Like removing the driver's side fenders......I hadn't wanted to do that but was told those needed to go off to help get the body lines back right. The inner fender was pretty abused and rather rusty, the outer could use a paint job and has two rust holes the painter says he can fix.

Today I noticed rust holes all the way through my driver's side upper A arm. It's likely been that way since the late 1980's and those arms are rather beefy, I'm pretty sure those can wait.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #4197
Metaldoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Quote:
Same here brother! I keep plugging away at it though but most times I'll get one thing done and then realize there is something I missed. Like removing the driver's side fenders......I hadn't wanted to do that but was told those needed to go off to help get the body lines back right. The inner fender was pretty abused and rather rusty, the outer could use a paint job and has two rust holes the painter says he can fix.

Today I noticed rust holes all the way through my driver's side upper A arm. It's likely been that way since the late 1980's and those arms are rather beefy, I'm pretty sure those can wait.
Not to rub it in but yeah it is nice driving mine after the 3 year build.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 PM   #4198
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

NOT ' rubbing it in ' ! you're giving us encouragement to keep going , one baby step at a time..... .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 08-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #4199
In The Ten Ring

I'm just happy for you sir!

Mine is a "job" that's for sure but it's a learning experience too and for that I am grateful.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #4200
Jarvis-69 GMC 1500CK

Rewired the rear lights of my 69 GMC 1500, just need to hook it all up at the firewall in the morning!

Also spent a good few hours cleaning out 30 years of prairie dirt from under the truck! Still need to take it to a pressure washer to get the surface stuff off, you would not believe just how much dirt and mud was under that truck.
Closed Thread