The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #401
jlsanborn

Re: Boppa's old yeller truck

Oh, ya...... Congrats on the 1k!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #402
Bomp

Dig the vid! You is a TV star now.
Was wondering when you were going to pop back on this thing.
Glad Boppa is doing well. My dad had a quad bi-pass a few yrs back and is doing great.
Can't wait for the posi install.
Great mail box too!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #403
litew8

"(Hah! Like you thought it would.)" No I didn't!
You may be on to something there with the lower control-arms/bad bushings.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #404
Low Elco

Weelll, after a bit of researching and head scratching and soul searching, I ripped the a-arms out of the ol yeller truck this afternoon. I'll hopefully be dropping them off at the shop tomorrow. AS before, if you're prone to prayer, I'd start now.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #405
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Boppa complaining about some sort of elder abuse and slave labor, I wasn't really paying attention.
I missed that one from post #368 the first time around but it literally made me laugh out loud.
Crossing my fingers on the control arm bushings!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #406
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The stance does look great. As does the mailbox. Now I've got another arts and crafts project to build on a slow day.

Hope you guys had fun at the hockey thing. My son played until he was about 13. It was great watching those kids go from barely being able to move on skates to doing things that surprise you on them. Great sport to see in person, my favorite by far. Speaking of which, I think I'll look up getting tickets for some upcoming college games.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #407
Low Elco

It's minor league hockey, but it's fun. Momma really loves it. Dropped the arms off last night, machinist guy sez "oh, those are shot." I hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #408
Low Elco

Thanks for all the props! The last 1/2" was a PITA, but I think it was worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #409
nlped

Well, it sure won't hurt the ride, steering & handling...that's for sure. I put all new bushings, ball joints & steering parts under mine when I swapped in the 4 wheel disc brakes, and it made a world of difference in the ride quality and steering reactions.

And it was a good plan to let someone else put those control arm bushings in for you, because they are a BEAST to do even with all the proper equipment!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #410
Low Elco

Ah, I know. We keep telling people it was just a paint job, that got outta hand. I didn't do a thing to it mechanically except swap in the 700. You're right, it can't hurt. BTDT on the PITA. For $40, Boppa said," thats not even a question". The shop just called, they're done. He said they were waaaay soft and the sleeves were frozen to the shafts. I'm considering doing the tops, as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #411
nlped

I'd do them now too. It's a perfect time for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #412
Low Elco

Came home and yanked the uppers off and delivered them. Should be done tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 AM   #413
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Came home and yanked the uppers off and delivered them. Should be done tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damn right.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #414
Low Elco

Ok, heeere we go. Got the A-Arms picked up Fri. night. After a consult with Boppa, we decided to put new Balljoints in, even though at least the lowers have been done semi-recently. Because you know if we did all this it'd be the balljoints bad if we didn't change them. So, I got those picked up as well. Hockey Fri. night. Was told I was selected for the LMC Truck Seat Race. Cool, what's the prize? $250 gift cert to LMC! HELL YEAH I'm in! Neighbor Jay wasn't down to do it with me, (he's shy) so another guy we sit with, Jack, did it with me. The Kid wanted to, but the other person had to be over 18.

Saturday, got the arms stripped of joints and brushed and painted, then hit the game. Long and short, WE WON. By a ways! The Kid had crowd problems with his camera, so no vid of the race. Best part, Jack says "take it, I'll never use it!" so rock on, $250 to LMC!

Boppa is coming out today to help stab all this back in, with new brake calipers just for the hell of it. He's slowly recovering from bronchitis and the Cath, but coming around. Hopefully we'll have it on the ground and sealed up sometime this week.

Teardown
Name:  IMG_3063 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 544
Size:  48.6 KB

Painted! Note super hi tech baking device.
Name:  IMG_3082 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 554
Size:  79.2 KB

Terrible pic after the big win!
Name:  IMG_3090 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 560
Size:  35.2 KB
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #415
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not many people get to go home from a hockey game with more than they went in with. Awesome! Woke up this morning seeing the news the NHL should be back soon too. Bonus!

Even if the new bushings, etc. don't solve the vibration problem, it's one less maintenance item to worry about later. It's one area of my truck I haven't done to mine yet.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #416
Bomp

Sweet!!!

super hi tech baking device. Noted. Have the same one but with square element.

You ride a scooter too?!??
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #417
jlsanborn

Congrats on the bux!!! We gonna see that over on the LBT thread? What exactly is a truck seat race??? I can imagine its one of those intermission activities where they take someone from the crowd and drag em out on the ice for a laugh. Was the competition even close?

Control arms look sweet! Hopefully that's that on the vibe issue.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #418
Low Elco

You ride a scooter too?!??[/QUOTE]

It's the younger kid's Christmas present. I've been tripping over it, mostly. He says it goes pretty good!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #419
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Congrats on the bux!!! We gonna see that over on the LBT thread? What exactly is a truck seat race??? I can imagine its one of those intermission activities where they take someone from the crowd and drag em out on the ice for a laugh. Was the competition even close?
That's exactly what it was. They had 3 teams of us. They had bench seats on casters, and you had to weave through cones going down the ice and grab a flag out of the cone at the end. The other guys showed up with their wives. FOOLS! They got their doors blown off, one of them by 1/2 the rink. MUUAHAHAAHAHA! Of course, We had to tell the hot announcer chick that Jack's name was Dale (Chip-n-Dale) She caught it as it came out on the ice, the crowd got a chuckle out if it. It was fun.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #420
Low Elco

Well, it's all done, bushings, balljoints, Tightened slop in the steering column, and new calipers. Of COURSE it still vibrates! Short of the tierods, and brake hoses, EVERYTHING under this truck is new or rebuilt. I have to fix the axle seals and revisit the pinion angle post-lowering. The big throb is still there, though.

So now, we're working backwards. It was fine the whole time it was being built. It was great rolling out to Goodguys, where I gave it to Boppa. He did the brakes, and put brand new rotors on. That's the only thing I haven't been there for the before and after for. Possibly heavy spot in the rotor? I ain't crazy, other people have noticed this vibe in the truck. It did the same thing with no driveline and the motor off, so driveline's out. It's gotta be in the rolling chassis somewhere, and it's speed related, as it comes on at the same speed regardless of driveline speed. That leads us up front. The only rolling thing that hasn't been replaced on my watch is the rotors. The bearing preload seems ok, they roll smooth, no chik-chik slop, leads to out of balance rotor. Is this plausible? I'm past grasping at straws. The ENTIRE back of this truck is new, and stiffer. Literally. Do they balance rotors? I'm considering pulling the ones off of LBT, they're both 1 1/4", and trying it. Anyone wanna tell me I'm nuts? Any bright ideas? I sweartagod, I'm not doing this to be an attention whore. I have The LBT thread for that! I want nothing more than to have this thing rollin' smooth down the freeway, and it just ain't happenin. Onward, to the next adventure.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #421
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Possible? Sure. Plausible, probably not, but at this point, who knows. If it was me I would try balancing the tires again, and maybe switching back to front, or side to side. One other thing I might try is to put some wood blocks or something between the axle and frame at about the level it was at before. If it's in the axle you'll probably feel the vibration worse. If it goes away it might be the pinion angle or u-joint angle.

As a last resort, try and flush the blinker fluid.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22

Or maybe these cross drilled brake lines will do the trick...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=39

This might be pretty obvious, and I don't want to insult your intelligence, but in case you haven't done it yet, the muffler bearings might have a flat spot...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=48

But this tool is by far the one I use the most and have had real good results with...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=7

I'd let you borrow mine, but they are cheap enough that every man should have one in his toolbox.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #422
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Congrats man. I need to watch this thread closer. Your dads truck sure is sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #423
Low Elco

Ha, that's pretty good. Well, I pulled it down last night and the rotors and bearings seem fine. Boppa says they're all new from when he did the brakes in Sept. I dunno. I'll probably double-check that the races are seated and pop it all back together tonight, then see about an alignment. Looking to do axle seals this weekend. The bad part is, in the city, You'd never know there was a problem. Which reminds me, I've gotta open up the speedo and see what drive gear I have so I can order the new driven gear.

Tires have been balanced 2x, and 2 sets have been used, 3 on the rear. Boppa says he's just gonna drive slow and wait for something to blow up.

I believe it may be the damn muffler bearings, I haven't checked them yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Possible? Sure. Plausible, probably not, but at this point, who knows. If it was me I would try balancing the tires again, and maybe switching back to front, or side to side. One other thing I might try is to put some wood blocks or something between the axle and frame at about the level it was at before. If it's in the axle you'll probably feel the vibration worse. If it goes away it might be the pinion angle or u-joint angle.

As a last resort, try and flush the blinker fluid.
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=22

Or maybe these cross drilled brake lines will do the trick...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=39

This might be pretty obvious, and I don't want to insult your intelligence, but in case you haven't done it yet, the muffler bearings might have a flat spot...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=48

But this tool is by far the one I use the most and have had real good results with...
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=7

I'd let you borrow mine, but they are cheap enough that every man should have one in his toolbox.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #424
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Congrats man. I need to watch this thread closer. Your dads truck sure is sweet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I just wish it'd roll smooth.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #425
Xeen

I hate to state the obvious here but its has to be something that is rotating that is causing the vibration, something is out of ballance, If it isnt the driveshaft then its the rear axle, have you checked to see if the axle tubes really are straight and true?
The reason I ask is because there is another guy on the boards that was having some vibration issues just like you and his axle tubes werent straight so he straightened them and it took care of 90% of the vibration.