The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #426
66ChevyMax

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

I had the same issue with the slider window, ended up tossing it and going with standard back window!
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #427
MacQuigley

I have a few small parts for the truck coming over with my Vette and Ive just added a new window rubber. I may end up replacing the original. I hope not as I like the look.

But why are so many parts such a bad fit? Its not just C10's, cars over here are the same. Why is it so hard to make better fitting parts. It cant be that much more expensive.
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #428
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Just read the whole build, you've done fantastic work mate!

Almost the same color scheme with my 66, except I'll be going with a darker blue and a gray metallic. Cab look gorgeous! Still working on mine. haha Waiting on better weather and stinkin time.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #429
MacQuigley

Thanks TJ. Still a long way to go but tomorrow is a milestone - if all goes according to plan.

I will post up some pics tomorrow when I can.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #430
MacQuigley

Well the cab is on, the windshield is in, the engine in for the first trial fit and the headers are on

Only thing that concerns me is, is the engine at too much of a downward angle?

I fitted the mounts to the cross member angled down toward the rear of the truck. I'm wondering now if they should have been the other way round.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #431
Grizz1963

OK.........

I have a silly grin on my face here.

Looking great here.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:47 AM   #432
MacQuigley

Me to Rian.

Can't wait to fire that motor up but I'm a way off that yet.

Not be doing much more outside today. Too bloody cold. Just about time to go back inside, clear the garage and see what's to do next.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #433
MacQuigley

Guy's, I want to fit a gas fillet something like this but I want it to fit flush and not proud of the surface of the wing

Whats the best way to get a flush fit?
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #434
R.S.S.

once you get the trans mounted it should reduce your engine angle as the motor mounts aren't in the center of the engine (more weight on rear of engine). I always aim for 3 degrees back. Truck looks awesome!
R.S.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #435
MacQuigley

3 degrees was what I understood to be the right angle (Mainly thanks to Gas Monkey Garage!). Got a digital level coming tomorrow which should help.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:59 AM   #436
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

To flush mount a filler like that, you are going to have to flange the edge of the hole once you cut the center out. You can use a flange tool for sheetmetal such as those sold at Eastwood, or you may be able to make one yourself. You could also make a one shot flange tool with a set of 4 discs and rings and press them together with a large bolt thru the center.But that may be a lot of work for a one time use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
Guy's, I want to fit a gas fillet something like this but I want it to fit flush and not proud of the surface of the wing

Whats the best way to get a flush fit?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #437
65sub

Looking good Bill. Be sure to match the transmission and engine angle with the pinion angle
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655167
65sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #438
MacQuigley

Took the day off from the truck yesterday. Needed a bit of a break, so my youngest and I went and put a few rounds down range. First long distance shoot we have managed since August. The good news is that despite his recent success in beating his old man for the first time in a club comp (and boy did he beat me!) I was back to whipping his ass yesterday (Only just mind! The day is fast approaching that the only way I'll beat him is to brake his trigger finger! And his mother wouldn't be happy if I do that so the outlook for me is poor - so its back to the truck)

So after cutting some steel for my dad and finishing the great tidy in the garage I started to trial fit the inner fender. Didn't get far because as soon as I tried to fit the core support I realised I had a problem. Turns out the new core support has a raised mount where the bracket on the inner fender is supposed to bolt. This throws the core support out by about 5mm.

Its hard to tell from the pictures but you should be able to see the difference between the old and new:

Old with no raised pressing

New with the raised pressing (doesn't look much but its about 5mm).

So I think the only solution is to drill out the spot welds of the bracket and reposition it.

O was only fitting these for now to get a position beyond which the engine will be too far forward. Can do anything more permanent so I have time to do this. Not withstanding the fact Ive still to paint the inner fenders it turns out I haven't ordered the mounts for the core support or the rear fender to firewall rubbers like I thought I had. Looks like another order is going into LMC!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #439
MacQuigley

It was a wee bit of a slow weekend. I had hoped to get the engine and transmission in so I could work on the transmission cross member but I didn't get the new plates for my mounts so that scuppered that idea.

So I modified that bracket on each of the inner fenders (sorry forgot to take pictures of that) and then assembled the front inner fenders and core support so I could get a measurement from the firewall to the core support so, when I do fit the engine, I know how far forward I can take it.

After that I assembled the front grill, grill support and core support panels. As I had to buy a new grill I had to modify the grill support a bit, nothing major, but that kept me out of trouble for the rest of Saturday.

And with time on my hands, I couldn't resist trial fitting this!

Then its back to my favourite past time, filling and sanding

The quality of some of these replacement panels is really poor. This one is full or ripples so a fair pit of work is required to get it looking good. Still, probably less work that would have been needed to repair the original parts.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #440
ibrown50

Great progress Bill, your truck is really coming together and the colour combo looks amazing. I've spent this weekend metal finishing my door I'm begining to wish I'd bought more new sheet metal, it seems to be a choice between repair the old or "fettle" the new , those onion boards are a handy invention too
Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM   #441
forestb

I almost painted my dash white also but was worried about the glare.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #442
MacQuigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
Great progress Bill, your truck is really coming together and the colour combo looks amazing. I've spent this weekend metal finishing my door I'm begining to wish I'd bought more new sheet metal, it seems to be a choice between repair the old or "fettle" the new , those onion boards are a handy invention too
Hi Ian,

Onion boards one of mans finest inventions! I started my 4th this evening

I must confess, last night I was wondering if Id made the right decision by buying so many replacement panels. There is a lot of work involved in fettling them, but in the end I think it will be worth it. Many of my old panels were just too far gone or damaged in places that I just don't have the skills to repair to a point you couldn't see the repair. Bit it is still sole destroying!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:39 PM   #443
MacQuigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I almost painted my dash white also but was worried about the glare.
Hadnt considered the glare but I'm sure it will be fine. Now Ive done it I'm glad but I'm not sure Id go 2 tone again. Bleed through or one colour or the other through the masking was a real pain.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #444
MacQuigley

Talking of colour, Id appreciate peoples thoughts.

I bought paintable bumpers as getting replacements over here is expensive and I thought if a painted bumper was damaged I could repaint it rather than get a replacement chrome (Forget re-chroming over here. For the front and rear bumpers it would probably cost north of £2000!).

Originally I was thinking Id paint them silver to match the wheels and the few Chrome items I'll have like door handles and mirrors but now I'm wondering if I should paint them body colour with the mesh of the grill black or possibly black.

What do you think?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:43 PM   #445
shp4man

Quote:
Took the day off from the truck yesterday. Needed a bit of a break, so my youngest and I went and put a few rounds down range. First long distance shoot we have managed since August. The good news is that despite his recent success in beating his old man for the first time in a club comp (and boy did he beat me!) I was back to whipping his ass yesterday (Only just mind! The day is fast approaching that the only way I'll beat him is to brake his trigger finger! And his mother wouldn't be happy if I do that so the outlook for me is poor - so its back to the truck)
Curious what you're shooting and at what range. Probably not British .303 and an Enfield No. 4 Mark 1, but that's kind of what I think a Scot might shoot.
Also, you guys make some damn good whisky.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #446
MacQuigley

We do make some good whisky and I'm doing my best to support the industry by trying to sample as much as I can whenever I can!

As for what I shoot, well I did shoot a 1942/3 Savage made No. 4 Mark 1 for a long time as well as a Brown Bess musket, 1861 Springfield, a 1874 Sharps in 50-90 and an original Martini Henry in 577-450 (still regret selling that) but these days my collection is a little more modern.

For my local indoor 25mtr range I have a BSA Martini 22 single shot, Ruger 10/22, CMMG Evolution (with all the MagPul toys on), Marlin 1894 in 38/357 and another UK spec AR in 45 ACP. For out doors (Usually 200 - 500 yards) I have another UK spec AR this time in 5.56, a Remy 700 PSS in 223 and Remington Rolling block in 45-70 and a Desert Tech SRS with 2 conversion kits one in 308 and the other in 6.5 x 47 topped of with a Nightforce. Everything that can be suppressed is.

Sadly handgun wise we are exceptionally limited. I have a 1860 Army as we can still have muzzle loaders but the only modern handguns we can have are either long barrelled revolvers (any calibre) or pistols (In 22 only as we cant own any semi auto in any other calibre except 22, rifle or pistol). And by long barrelled I mean a minimum barrel length of 12" and an overall length of 24" meaning most have a fixed wrist brace on - stops them from becoming concealable.

For a good few years I was a member of the SASS and the UK branch, the BWSS, (watched too many John Wayne movies growing up - still do!) but as you can imagine cowboy action shooting isn't as popular over here and gradually competitions came down to a handful of shooters and there isn't much competition in that. We do still shoot some practical but our biggest problem is range space. I'm lucky as my local range is only 7 miles away, indoors and open 4 nights a week but others have very limited range time. And even in Scotland where we have loads of space and mountains and hills that would make a great back stop we can barely get to shoot.

Its a very politically incorrect sport over here. Much misunderstood and persecuted by people who don't know any better. Ive been shooting since I was 5 years old and loved every minute of it. Not just the shooting, but the history and engineering of it all.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #447
shp4man

Quote:
We do make some good whisky and I'm doing my best to support the industry by trying to sample as much as I can whenever I can!

As for what I shoot, well I did shoot a 1942/3 Savage made No. 4 Mark 1 for a long time as well as a Brown Bess musket, 1861 Springfield, a 1874 Sharps in 50-90 and an original Martini Henry in 577-450 (still regret selling that) but these days my collection is a little more modern.

For my local indoor 25mtr range I have a BSA Martini 22 single shot, Ruger 10/22, CMMG Evolution (with all the MagPul toys on), Marlin 1894 in 38/357 and another UK spec AR in 45 ACP. For out doors (Usually 200 - 500 yards) I have another UK spec AR this time in 5.56, a Remy 700 PSS in 223 and Remington Rolling block in 45-70 and a Desert Tech SRS with 2 conversion kits one in 308 and the other in 6.5 x 47 topped of with a Nightforce. Everything that can be suppressed is.

Sadly handgun wise we are exceptionally limited. I have a 1860 Army as we can still have muzzle loaders but the only modern handguns we can have are either long barrelled revolvers (any calibre) or pistols (In 22 only as we cant own any semi auto in any other calibre except 22, rifle or pistol). And by long barrelled I mean a minimum barrel length of 12" and an overall length of 24" meaning most have a fixed wrist brace on - stops them from becoming concealable.

For a good few years I was a member of the SASS and the UK branch, the BWSS, (watched too many John Wayne movies growing up - still do!) but as you can imagine cowboy action shooting isn't as popular over here and gradually competitions came down to a handful of shooters and there isn't much competition in that. We do still shoot some practical but our biggest problem is range space. I'm lucky as my local range is only 7 miles away, indoors and open 4 nights a week but others have very limited range time. And even in Scotland where we have loads of space and mountains and hills that would make a great back stop we can barely get to shoot.

Its a very politically incorrect sport over here. Much misunderstood and persecuted by people who don't know any better. Ive been shooting since I was 5 years old and loved every minute of it. Not just the shooting, but the history and engineering of it all.
That's an impressive collection. As far as gun laws go, living here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, we have to deal with some ridiculous rules, too.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #448
MacQuigley

Guy's,

If all goes according to plan, my father and the younger members of my family (they are 22 and 19 so I use that term loosely) are going to have a holiday in Texas this year (May if we can sort it all out).

I have no idea how much time we will have as we are already planning a shed load (non involving cars so far I'm afraid - some shooting yes but no cars), however, if time allows Id love to meet up with some of you.

It looks like we will fly into san Antonio, spend a few days on a ranch in Bandera then move onto Austin, possibly Dallas (GMG perhaps) and then finally to Houston. Any of you live on-route?

Also, any of you know of any car shows in these areas in Mid may?

I hope this happens. Its been 23 year since I was last in Texas (or the US for that matter) and Ive wanted to go back since the day we left.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:17 PM   #449
MacQuigley

Not posted much lately. Although I have been progressing with the truck, other matter have meant updating the project has had to take a back seat.

But as for today its been, as Kevin Bloody Wilson would say, an absolute c*nt of a Day, Well week actually.

Been getting a new kitchen fitted and its not gone well. Damaged doors and drawers, units not assembled correctly and cracked and parts missing and a supplier that doesn't want to know - not helped by the fact I was on the Isle of Islay for work for 3 days.

But a sh&t week has been topped off when I went out to bring in the bin, that I put out on Monday - been away 3 days, and walking by the truck I notice that the windshield has a crack on it, top to bottom!

God knows where I'm going to get one of those in the UK!

Like I said Ive had an absolute c*nt of a day!

PS:- For those who don't know Kevin Bloody Wilson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao5Kq0hJwzY

PPS:- Hope nobody is offended by this!

PPPS:- I'm going to see him in concert tomorrow night so at least the week should finish better than its started!
Old 03-30-2017, 04:23 PM   #450
ibrown50

Bill, if you check out Andy (ubercool's) build thread ("Uber Cool's 1963 C10 LWB Fleetside in England") he had a screen fitted by someone in the UK. Failing that Topspeed automotive sells screens for all makes of American vehicles, my screen came from him, I found him very fair to deal with

Last edited by ibrown50; 03-30-2017 at 04:28 PM.
ibrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote