The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #451
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Those turned out great! Are you going to put bushings or another mechanism on the end-links (between components) in case the suspension ever unloads?
I was thinking the same thing as you Mike. The Vett's don't use anything but I was still thinking of using a piece of Hydro rubber hose about 1/8" longer then my ID opening between mounts.

Now for the fun part I get to spend most of tonight with the Plasma making all my parts and pieces for the other side so it all matches and still add 1 or 2 gussets to this rear mount. I hope to have my Re8's soon so I can start mocking up placement and ratios and see what is left for the shock placement.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #452
Tagg33

Can you share what sizes you are using for the Hiem joints for the track locater? Are they 5/8x5/8" and is the tubing 1" ID? I'm about to order the supplies for my IRS and I wondered what you went with.

84 SWB, C4 IFS Crossmember, C4 IRS, RE7 bags, WCC 3pc 22"s
My reBuild: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346328
Tagg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #453
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagg33 View Post
Can you share what sizes you are using for the Hiem joints for the track locater? Are they 5/8x5/8" and is the tubing 1" ID? I'm about to order the supplies for my IRS and I wondered what you went with.

I have not ordered mine yet. I will be calling in the morning to see what will work best for my set up.

If you are doing this in a truck I would use the stock rear diff cover and just raise the frame 4" and use the stock set up for the track. I only went through this in order to keep the rear floor as low as I could for the rear seat my wife wanted.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #454
64shortc10

Kevin,

Do you need a slam bag rs8 for mock up I have three in my garage and one is damaged to use for mock up welding purposes!
Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM   #455
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
Kevin,

Do you need a slam bag rs8 for mock up I have three in my garage and one is damaged to use for mock up welding purposes!
Tony from Norcal
Sure Tony drop off the bad one and that will also mean mine will show at the same time so it is a win win!
You did mean to say RE8 right?

Thanks
Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #456
Retro68
Account Suspended

Hey Kevin this suburban is so ambitious. The rear hatch with hidden hinges is great. I was wondering if you are going to do something slick with the tail lights. I always thought there was too much metal around the lenses. Maybe a larger tailight that appears stock would fill the void. Just thinking outloud. Anyway great job with all your work. I will keep tabs on your progress.
Retro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #457
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

I am still holding you to the CHEVROLET lettering across the back !

Last edited by tdave00; 03-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #458
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro68 View Post
Hey Kevin this suburban is so ambitious. The rear hatch with hidden hinges is great. I was wondering if you are going to do something slick with the tail lights. I always thought there was too much metal around the lenses. Maybe a larger tailight that appears stock would fill the void. Just thinking outloud. Anyway great job with all your work. I will keep tabs on your progress.
I am thinking about using the tail lights off a 66-67 Nova. They are a touch wider and will Sit flat on the body and not pock out like the stock ones do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
I am still holding you to the CHEVROLET lettering across the back !
Thats fine but then I get to hold you to sending me a good section out of a step or fleet gate for the lettering

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #459
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Thats fine but then I get to hold you to sending me a good section out of a step or fleet gate for the lettering

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Ummm...backpedaling quietly.

Thought you said you had one upstairs you were going to use?

Everything looks great BTW.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #460
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Find a couple of old beat up gates and stitch parts of each together to read C H E R V O L E T
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #461
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I am thinking about using the tail lights off a 66-67 Nova. They are a touch wider and will Sit flat on the body and not pock out like the stock ones do.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
That's one thing I wish I had done to my suburban when I redid the back. I'll probably end up making one of the aluminum tailgate bands work. One thing to keep in mind when you do this is the curve of the burb tailgate is pretty substantial. Lay a straight edge up to it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #462
VA72C10
VA72C10

Or, check with NWD02...he's putting in a panel with the older chevrolet script so he might be willing to hook you up with the original letters. I have a gate that the letters are pretty good on but the bottom's rotten that I could cut out the letters for you...but shipping would probably kill the deal for you.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #463
Rokcrln

Quote:

Thought you said you had one upstairs you were going to use?

Everything looks great BTW.
All the one's in the attic are gone. My last one was cut up to match a dash I had for a project. See pic below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
That's one thing I wish I had done to my suburban when I redid the back. I'll probably end up making one of the aluminum tailgate bands work. One thing to keep in mind when you do this is the curve of the burb tailgate is pretty substantial. Lay a straight edge up to it and you'll see what I'm talking about.
The section I will add would be just bigger than the letters so it should still blend in well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Or, check with NWD02...he's putting in a panel with the older chevrolet script so he might be willing to hook you up with the original letters. I have a gate that the letters are pretty good on but the bottom's rotten that I could cut out the letters for you...but shipping would probably kill the deal for you.
I will just hit the pic-n-pull for another section. That is what I did for this gate. Notice it is a step side section put into a GMC gate.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #464
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Whos truck are the backwards stuff going into..?

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #465
Rokcrln

Gate is on the Blazer I sold to Hickman and the dash is back in my attic

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #466
Rokcrln

Well I think for sure today was the hardest day of this build so far, but I got it. I was working on the front 4 link bars for the C4 and had a heck of a time in trying to keep the bars low and still maintain the smallest amount of front to back wheel travel during the full range of up and down wheel travel. I started out with equal length bars and had them parallel to the frame and that gave me over 1 1/2" of front to back wheel travel through the 10" of travel. After allot of different set ups and allot of thinking I ended up with 30" top bars and 31 1/4" lower bars. They are parallel to the ground at ride height and during the full 10" of travel my front to back movement is less then 3/8" total. I have it set up for the wheel to be centered in the wheel well at full dump and at ride height it is back 5/16".

Here are a few shots with the laser set up for checking the final configuration. First shot is full stuff and the laser is dead center of the hub Axel nut. Next is ride height and a close up of the tape. Then the last hub shot is at full lift and it is once again perfectly centered. I still need to play with my track bars abit because I am getting a few degrees of tow change during full travel and I think I can get it all out with some more work. If I can get it to zero it will also decrees the 5/16" number a very small amount.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 AM   #467
Rokcrln

So in order to make it all work I had to bring the top bars into the floor by 2". This really won't be a problem because my seat mounts are just above this and will still allow for a sheet metal cover over the seat mounts and top bars and the seat will still lay forward and down flat like it should. I will make some simple covers to go over the bars but leave access for the bolt to be removed. The upper bar has to have a down ward bend to it in order to clear the rear floor step structure and also to keep the bar below the magic 2" floor #. I will bend this bar in my hydro bender but first I will sleeve the inside of the 1 1/4" tube with a .120 wall 1" on the inside then if I feel it is needed I will add a gusset blade to the bottom of the tube.

The lower links are parallel to the ground at ride height and are angled in to the frame about 3"+- at the leading end of the bars to minimize the front to back travel of the hub during the up and down travel. I have 10" of travel 5" each way from ride height and that should have the frame 1" off the ground with a 31" tall tire and 6" of frame clearance at ride height.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #468
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

nice work, its lookin real good
project 67 sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #469
NWD02

Check this out. I'm putting it on my tail gate. Something a little different... MEKDAD machined it for me.
Attached Images

NWD02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #470
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Looking good LFD
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #471
hotrodhomi

Looks good Kevin.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #472
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWD02 View Post
Check this out. I'm putting it on my tail gate. Something a little different... MEKDAD machined it for me.
Looks very nice! How thick is the material?

Kevin LFD Inc.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #473
Rokcrln

I know not much but it was my evenings work all the same. I finished welding the bars and added a small brace to the two bent arms. Here is a pic of the section I cut out for the poly end to weld to so you can see what is on the inside. The sleeve runs from the ploy end to 4" back from the rod end. Combined it is just over .250 thick and I will add 4 plug welds on each side of the bend to lock it all into one piece. I am waiting on 3 new threaded ends that I should have on Tuesday so I can finish up these bars and start on the toe in/out bars on the diff cover.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #474
Puropedo
Account Suspended

Wow Kevin, that IRS is sure taking you lots of hard work, evrybody can weld but not evryone can design. Im pretty sure your 5.3 conversion will be easier
cant wait for that!
Puropedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #475
Rokcrln

It sure has been allot more work then I was thinking but it is still worth every bit as I see it coming together. If I would have just been ok with cutting up higher in my floor this would have been allot faster and easier but I want a certain look when it is done so I brought it on my self. I too believe the 5.3 swap will be a cake walk especially with PorterBuilt's C4 Drop Member that is on it's way. I still have a few trick up my sleeve that will add extra work but it will all be worth it in the end. Thanks for checking in somtimes I think I am just posting this for my self

Kevin
LFD Inc.