The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #4751
Low Elco

Re: Project Vitamin C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Keep the truck Alan. I've been watching you build this truck since I came aboard and now it's finished. You can back off now and enjoy it. Drive it. Take it to a show occasionally. I figure it's very hard to back off a little after you've invested so many years getting to this point but this is what you've been working for. I think it's something you will regret. Just my 2 cents as they say.
This. Also, they probably won't cop to it, but I bet they dig riding with Dad in the cool old truck and that'll be a cherished memory for them. Plus, they're going into high school, you'll be needed to pull Homecoming floats and such. Shoot, you got it all nice, enjoy puttin' some wear on it! Drive it to work, do burnouts, take Momma out all shined up, have fun!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #4752
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Knowing you're a man of faith, I say put it in God's hands. I also agree with Dennis about making sure the family is involved in the ultimate decision. Like Clem mentioned, it's big of you to be that considerate. I feel like this truck has not only been a crutch to get you through hard times, but it's a rolling advertisement for you & your business. Keep showing off those admirable skills, because you deserve it. If your oldest daughter will show interest in truck/cars, it'll be in the very near future. Maybe ya'll can build something together. It doesn't have to be after she's grown. And if she doesn't show interest, just set the truck aside & be involved in whatever other hobbies/activities she enjoys (same for younger daughter). In my experiences, most school-related activities happen during the week, which leaves some weekend time for the truck. And it doesn't have to be a show to enjoy it. Just take it out every now and then. Like "Low Elco" mentioned, do more parades, pull a homecoming float, or take the wife out. I also know you mentioned wanting a wagon or Burb, so maybe that's a way to get the family involved (if they wanna be). Then you could load up & take a road trip to some of the bigger shows, to give Vitamin C-10 more exposure. Many of those cities with bigger shows also offer other sites to see, so it can be an family experience. I wouldn't sell it unless you just absolutely need the money. I don't think you've even had time to really enjoy it much; and as you mentioned, it's only worth what someone will pay. I hate to see you lose money on something you've put so much hard work into. Whatever decision you make, just know that we all want Alan to be happy at the end of the day.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #4753
Strodder
Daring to be Different

One last thing. When it's gone it gone for ever. Every day I regret selling my 56 Belair that I had for 23 years.
I know it's a hard decision, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Don't be in a hurry, and think it out.

KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #4754
daverod
SSN 706

I hate selling things. That's why I don't. It been a joy watching you build it. Enjoy...
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #4755
gimmy 64

you know you got to do what you got to do. I have been really lucky that my daughters --3 of them have been not so much into cars and trucks but support my passion. my middle daughter is into cars and trucks but the rest come to the brothers truck show if my truck is there. this is why I have thought about selling my truck and buying a car . I love 40-48 chevy cars but, I don't know if this will ever happen. what ever you do Alan it will be the right choice.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #4756
McMurphy

I too am like daverod, I do not buy things to sell them.
I also have to agree with the others who believe that if you sell it, you will regret it.
Better to hang onto it, and in 3-6 years when those girls are old enough for a drivers license, one of them is probably going to want that truck (4dranch comes to mind).

In that vein, there is a Law Firm up here that runs radio commercials (Ward Murdies and Associates) here is a quote for you to ponder from one of those commercials.

"People call us asking about a fist car for their teens, should they get the fuel economical compact, or the 1972 pickup tuck? Though fuel economy is important, it has been our experience that when that compact meets the pickup, it is usually the truck that wins..."

Good luck with your decision, I know only sever greed would coax me into parting with mine.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #4757
65Custom

Alan it is a hard decisions to make but one I know you would regret, heck I would regret you selling it, after all the hard work you have put into making what it is today, and then your daughters growing up around it as you were building the truck, I'm sure they have fond memories of helping you out in some way while it was being built, my father had one of these trucks when I was child and I have so many fond memories of it when I was kid that I fell in love with it, I really wish I had that truck today and is why I am building my own now. I told my son that if I do ever get it finished and pass it on to him that he can never sell it.

Don't sell it store it away if need be and if not drive it and have fun with it, one of your daughters will surely be wanting to drive it and if not im sure they would love one of Alan's classic creations you build just for them.

KEEP IT!!!! It's Paid for and that means a lot in todays Economy

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4758
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

I agree with all those who are saying keep it! You will regret it if you sell the rig, and after you have done so much work on it? You've had alot of fun and done a really great job with it! I would say it would be a shame to see it sold. But also like said it is your truck and if you find it best to part with it then that's fine to! But do please take the time to think on it. It would be sad for it to be no longer known as Alan's Classic. T.J.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #4759
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Thank you guys

I've thought long and hard about selling my truck and right now I'm leaning towards selling it.

I've always wanted to do a full resto and when I got sober I started this truck shortly after. Along with my faith in God this truck keep my mind busy. During those years I missed a lot of time with my family. My girls are 13 and 10 and I don't want to miss anymore time with them. When I'm setting at the car shows I think of the time I'm missing with the family.

I'm sure that I would regret selling it if I do, but not as much not watching my girls grow up. They will be getting busier with school stuff and I want to be there. After they get a life of their own then I can build something else.

I still haven't fully decided what I will do. If I do decide to sell then I have to figure out a selling price. I know what it appraised for, but that doesn't mean much. It is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
When my girls aren't with me I miss'em too. I bring them along sometimes but teen age girls have their own schedule and sitting at an art show or looking at cars/trucks don't do it for them. We go places together but for them starring at old cars and listening to grey hairs ain't their seen.
As cool as your truck is (and its cool +10) it had a purpose, "keeping your mind busy, something you always wanted to do", now the trucks job is done. Time to enjoy it. You don't have to go to every show.
You have the skills that if you ever wanted another truck you could build one no problem. If your undecided on price go with what you feel would make it worth what you want for it.
I write out a schedule so that when Im at a show I know Im supposed to be there and not taking anytime away from the family. They appreciate it when I have time set aside just for them. I bring them along on other ventures (steel yard, garage sales, parts store, etc) and then we go off and do something else together too.(usually Michaels Craft store or Joannes Fabrics) for the girls.

Put the truck away out of site for awhile and notice if you miss it.
Do you gain family time from the truck not being around? Does your family miss it?
If you gain family time with it being gone and thats what you want then..................
But,,,, do you really want to go through having to rebuild another truck to make up for this one if you sell it?

Just my .02
Good luck Alan
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #4760
flips72

I know how you feel about selling the truck, I was thinking the same thing so I put it in the garage and pulled the motor and trans, going to make it faster and stronger. it seems as long as I'm working on it i'm ok but I do seem to get bored easily. keep the truck and drive the wheels off of it then by the time the girls are grown it will be ready for some more of that love you have already showed it and you wont have to look for a new project.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #4761
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@rnut001 View Post
Well, Alan, you have a great reason for considering selling it. Of course, you could just store it away in your garage until they are grown, but then it would need redone again maybe. Good luck with your decision about selling your truck and God bless your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
and I'm glad I can always refer to your thread to study the amazing and awesome work you've accomplished with Vitamin C-10! Especially since I see you added A/C... Just kidding with that last bit, please don't hate me!!!
Not hating you brother, It's funny tho. I had forgotten about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
Say it isn't so. All that hard work, and you will never get what you have in it counting the blood, sweat and tears. I understand why you want to sell it, but why not let Vitamin C-10 be a part of the family? We did that while raising our kids. We drove the cars I built all over the place with them in them, including the Corvettes (today you can't do that). We even drove up to San Francisco in our Baja Bug and the back seat I made into a carpeted platform. They had a ball back there. But with your kids being 13 & 10, they are getting too big to do that. I feel for ya, and hope you make the right decision.
What does the family say? Did you take a vote?
One of my girls said "it's just a truck" The hell you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
hey alan, its totally what you think and feel but selling your truck can't be the only solution. its a family member too. those girls are going to need a vehicle when they're old enough (3 yrs) and by then you will have regret for selling it a thousand times.

i vote for the family vote, pretty sure the family knows how much it means to you.

kuddos to you buddy. just to be that considerate, its big.
I guess I will be too stingy with letting someone else drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Keep the truck Alan. I've been watching you build this truck since I came aboard and now it's finished. You can back off now and enjoy it. Drive it. Take it to a show occasionally. I figure it's very hard to back off a little after you've invested so many years getting to this point but this is what you've been working for. I think it's something you will regret. Just my 2 cents as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
If it's "in the way" just drain the fuel and park it. I have a couple project cars that I'd never sell but don't have the time for that are stored, one hasn't been touched in about 12 years. I think you'd regret selling it after all you've put into it.
Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
This. Also, they probably won't cop to it, but I bet they dig riding with Dad in the cool old truck and that'll be a cherished memory for them. Plus, they're going into high school, you'll be needed to pull Homecoming floats and such. Shoot, you got it all nice, enjoy puttin' some wear on it! Drive it to work, do burnouts, take Momma out all shined up, have fun!
Great advice. I believe I will drive it more to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
Knowing you're a man of faith, I say put it in God's hands. I also agree with Dennis about making sure the family is involved in the ultimate decision. Like Clem mentioned, it's big of you to be that considerate. I feel like this truck has not only been a crutch to get you through hard times, but it's a rolling advertisement for you & your business. Keep showing off those admirable skills, because you deserve it. If your oldest daughter will show interest in truck/cars, it'll be in the very near future. Maybe ya'll can build something together. It doesn't have to be after she's grown. And if she doesn't show interest, just set the truck aside & be involved in whatever other hobbies/activities she enjoys (same for younger daughter). In my experiences, most school-related activities happen during the week, which leaves some weekend time for the truck. And it doesn't have to be a show to enjoy it. Just take it out every now and then. Like "Low Elco" mentioned, do more parades, pull a homecoming float, or take the wife out. I also know you mentioned wanting a wagon or Burb, so maybe that's a way to get the family involved (if they wanna be). Then you could load up & take a road trip to some of the bigger shows, to give Vitamin C-10 more exposure. Many of those cities with bigger shows also offer other sites to see, so it can be an family experience. I wouldn't sell it unless you just absolutely need the money. I don't think you've even had time to really enjoy it much; and as you mentioned, it's only worth what someone will pay. I hate to see you lose money on something you've put so much hard work into. Whatever decision you make, just know that we all want Alan to be happy at the end of the day.
Thank you for the help. Some great input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strodder View Post
One last thing. When it's gone it gone for ever. Every day I regret selling my 56 Belair that I had for 23 years.
I know it's a hard decision, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Don't be in a hurry, and think it out.
You are correct Dennis, I would regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
I hate selling things. That's why I don't. It been a joy watching you build it. Enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmy 64 View Post
you know you got to do what you got to do. I have been really lucky that my daughters --3 of them have been not so much into cars and trucks but support my passion. my middle daughter is into cars and trucks but the rest come to the brothers truck show if my truck is there. this is why I have thought about selling my truck and buying a car . I love 40-48 chevy cars but, I don't know if this will ever happen. what ever you do Alan it will be the right choice.
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I too am like daverod, I do not buy things to sell them.
I also have to agree with the others who believe that if you sell it, you will regret it.
Better to hang onto it, and in 3-6 years when those girls are old enough for a drivers license, one of them is probably going to want that truck (4dranch comes to mind).

In that vein, there is a Law Firm up here that runs radio commercials (Ward Murdies and Associates) here is a quote for you to ponder from one of those commercials.

"People call us asking about a fist car for their teens, should they get the fuel economical compact, or the 1972 pickup tuck? Though fuel economy is important, it has been our experience that when that compact meets the pickup, it is usually the truck that wins..."

Good luck with your decision, I know only sever greed would coax me into parting with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
Alan it is a hard decisions to make but one I know you would regret, heck I would regret you selling it, after all the hard work you have put into making what it is today, and then your daughters growing up around it as you were building the truck, I'm sure they have fond memories of helping you out in some way while it was being built, my father had one of these trucks when I was child and I have so many fond memories of it when I was kid that I fell in love with it, I really wish I had that truck today and is why I am building my own now. I told my son that if I do ever get it finished and pass it on to him that he can never sell it.

Don't sell it store it away if need be and if not drive it and have fun with it, one of your daughters will surely be wanting to drive it and if not im sure they would love one of Alan's classic creations you build just for them.

KEEP IT!!!! It's Paid for and that means a lot in todays Economy
Thank you Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
I agree with all those who are saying keep it! You will regret it if you sell the rig, and after you have done so much work on it? You've had alot of fun and done a really great job with it! I would say it would be a shame to see it sold. But also like said it is your truck and if you find it best to part with it then that's fine to! But do please take the time to think on it. It would be sad for it to be no longer known as Alan's Classic. T.J.
Thank you TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
When my girls aren't with me I miss'em too. I bring them along sometimes but teen age girls have their own schedule and sitting at an art show or looking at cars/trucks don't do it for them. We go places together but for them starring at old cars and listening to grey hairs ain't their seen.
As cool as your truck is (and its cool +10) it had a purpose, "keeping your mind busy, something you always wanted to do", now the trucks job is done. Time to enjoy it. You don't have to go to every show.
You have the skills that if you ever wanted another truck you could build one no problem. If your undecided on price go with what you feel would make it worth what you want for it.
I write out a schedule so that when Im at a show I know Im supposed to be there and not taking anytime away from the family. They appreciate it when I have time set aside just for them. I bring them along on other ventures (steel yard, garage sales, parts store, etc) and then we go off and do something else together too.(usually Michaels Craft store or Joannes Fabrics) for the girls.

Put the truck away out of site for awhile and notice if you miss it.
Do you gain family time from the truck not being around? Does your family miss it?
If you gain family time with it being gone and thats what you want then..................
But,,,, do you really want to go through having to rebuild another truck to make up for this one if you sell it?

Just my .02
Good luck Alan
Some very valid points. I've been spending Saturdays with them doing things with the family the past few months. Thanks Bomp!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
I know how you feel about selling the truck, I was thinking the same thing so I put it in the garage and pulled the motor and trans, going to make it faster and stronger. it seems as long as I'm working on it i'm ok but I do seem to get bored easily. keep the truck and drive the wheels off of it then by the time the girls are grown it will be ready for some more of that love you have already showed it and you wont have to look for a new project.
I thought about doing a LS swap. Then I said no, but the next project will have one.

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to keep it. So the saga/thread continues. I still have some things to finish on it. But first I need to make some progress on Greg's cab.

Again thanks for all the support.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #4762
Ta2Don

Congrats on the decision being out of the way!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #4763
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to keep it. So the saga/thread continues. I still have some things to finish on it. But first I need to make some progress on Greg's cab.

Again thanks for all the support.
Already knew since I befriended you on Facebook, but glad to know you're keeping it. Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches & continued progress on Greg's. If I can ever make time on one of our trips back home, I still want to stop by and check it out in person.

My Build threads:

Pics:

Previous Rides:
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #4764
Alan's Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Congrats on the decision being out of the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
Already knew since I befriended you on Facebook, but glad to know you're keeping it. Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches & continued progress on Greg's. If I can ever make time on one of our trips back home, I still want to stop by and check it out in person.
Thanks fellers

I got off my butt and cranked up the heat and tunes in the shop and got some testosterone back in me. I got a few things done.

The drivers window jumped out of track the last time I drove it so I fixed it.

The engine fan would kick on when I turned the heat on even when the engine was cold. I believe I fixed that.

The right radiator support cover had some runs. Below is the steps I took to remove them.

1. Get a sharp razor blade (new) tape the edges
2. Keep the blade perpendicular to the run and slowly drag the blade along the run. Take your time. The run needs to be cured. If the paint is green it will roll up and most likely will have to be repainted.
3. Sand with al least 2000 then buff.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #4765
Ta2Don

Thanks for the tip on fixing runs…
Old 11-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4766
Alan's Classic

On my way to look at my next project for myself. If its not a rust bucket it will be a great deal. Shannon and I saw it one day and then I saw it on Craigslist.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #4767
Ta2Don

Nice!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #4768
Alan's Classic

I shook hands on it tonight. No money has changed hands. He said he didn't need any. He has already removed the ad and come to find out I know his possible future step mom. She was at the house.

It has the typical rust door bottoms, rockers, floors, fenders and inner fenders. Even with the rust I believe I got a great deal. I won't disclose the price yet til I get it home.

Closing the deal Saturday.

It's a 1968 C30 wrecker. Oh and it's orange.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #4769
Ta2Don

I had forgotten all about the wrecker hunt...
Looking forward to Pics when you get it home...

Sounds like a Great Thanksgiving to me...
Old 11-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #4770
Strodder
Daring to be Different

KUSTOM RIDES
FACE BOOK PAGE:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291198124258863/
1965 C-10 Short Bed 350/700r4
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2016 Honda Accord w/ 18" rims
2007 Honda Goldwing Trike w/ NAVI
2001 Yamaha Roadstar Indian look alike
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely
in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting "...WOW!...what an amazing ride!"
Live Life Passionately!!!

[/COLOR]

I AM WE TODD IT, I AM SOFA KING WE TODD IT
Strodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #4771
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
I shook hands on it tonight. No money has changed hands. He said he didn't need any. He has already removed the ad and come to find out I know his possible future step mom. She was at the house.

It has the typical rust door bottoms, rockers, floors, fenders and inner fenders. Even with the rust I believe I got a great deal. I won't disclose the price yet til I get it home.

Congrats, hope it all goes through! Looking forward to the pics. So, you gonna build a tow rig for yourself, or is it gonna be a flip?

My Build threads:

Pics:

Previous Rides:
Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #4772
Bomp

I take it that the "Wrecker" (good name by the way) is getting the LS?
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #4773
Alan's Classic

I don't want to post pics til it's mine Dennis

I'm thinking of doing an LS in it Greg. I'd like to get everything run in it first.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #4774
McMurphy

Quote:

Cool !!
So I wont be the only Tow Trucker around here any more !!
Cannot wait to see photos of it.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #4775
flashed

Cant wait to see the next one ,especially since its an orange Wrecker ,I like orange and wreckers.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote